Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook protection plan

macbook protection plan
otep1760
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2007, 11:02 AM

when my warranty for my macbook is up im looking to buy the protection plan for it. but i have a few questions before i decide whether or not i want to crank out the money for it.

how long do i have to buy the protection plan until i cant get it for my computer? is there a set time that i must get it for it to be valid?

what all does it cover? what kind of damages etc.

how hard is it to get a replacement computer or computer parts if needed?

id like to hear your stories if you have any. thanks for the info!

Railroader
Banned
Jul 23, 2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by otep1760 View Post
id like to hear your stories if you have any. thanks for the info!
The one time I used Applecare was for my MacBook. It had a flickering screen upon waking up from sleep and discoloration on the palm rests. They told me two weeks to fix the problems and they ended up taking only a week. No hassles, very efficient.

Regarding your other questions: Why not just call an Apple Store or (800) my-apple and have your questions answered first hand?

otep1760  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2007, 05:44 PM

wasnt aware that i could call them and talk to them about that.

so they fixed your macbooks discolored palm rests? i didnt think they would do something so minor.

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2007, 04:55 PM

As long as the machine is still under the original warranty (one year) you can buy apple care. Once you are past the warranty period, it's up to Apple's discretion if they will let you register applecare and let you use it.

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2007, 05:07 PM

Absolutely get Applecare. I had to send my Macbook Pro in four times for various issues (it was obviously a lemon), and on the fifth I demanded a replacement and got one! (They sent me a brand new model for free- a significant upgrade from my old one.) They even let you customize your replacement... they asked me what all I wanted to upgrade, if I wanted the glossy or matte screen, etc.

I think the plan covers pretty much any hardware defect, provided you weren't abusing the computer.

The repair process works like this: You call them, they overnight you an empty box, put your Macbook in it, and send it back. They'll generally fix it the day after they get it and then ship it right back to you. I don't think I was ever without my computer for more than a week.
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by otep1760 View Post
so they fixed your macbooks discolored palm rests? i didnt think they would do something so minor.
Just for clarification: the discoloring was a issue with the plastics of the 1st gen MacBooks, if yours gets dirty they won't cover it.
Signature depreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules