Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ideas of making something out of a ibook 14"

ideas of making something out of a ibook 14"
carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2007, 11:21 PM

I've been thinking of making something out of a 14" iBook as I have a number of broken ones to build something out of.

Thought about making an iTunes laptop geared into my car, but crapy car and prob something better to give a go at.

Any ideas?

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2007, 11:45 PM

I like the idea of an iTunes server, 'cause it's portable and could be switched between the car and home stereo. Just put a good stereo in the car.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 19, 2007, 12:05 AM

iTunes/video server. Get an RCA/S-video connector for $10 on eBay and rig it to the TV. When my 14" iBook's screen broke, that's what I had it do. I could stream music to my stereo wirelessly or watch movies/tv shows, it was nice.

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2007, 01:41 AM

For use with the TV is a nice idea. Have some shows and movies that could use a computer connected to it. As for the car, think I will try to get away from doing anything with that.

I have a "Mac II" which I though of poping in a ibook screen and build the laptop board etc. inside, but the screen will be bigger than the Mac Two.

If I could get a cheap wacom tablet would like to try and build a ibook tablet.

Maybe build a the screen into a picture frame so I can change the pictures.

I'm not worried of screwing up a laptop. If I stripped and gutted it apart and not put it back together it would not bother me. More or less trying to do something different/modd with an Apple iBook.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, what else do people have on their minds that an iBook would be good for.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2007, 03:08 AM

In an old G3 shell I have a Christmas Nativity scene, with Christmas lights and old Teddy's!

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2007, 11:03 AM

I always wanted to make a fun photo slide shower out of an old iBook or G3 PBook. Throw wireless on it, run 10.2, and just switch pictures every half hour. I'd even make a nice wood frame for it. Sighh... so many ideas. So few free Macs.

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2007, 11:11 AM

I think I will do a picture frame one for one ibook. Would be kinda cool to have it in the living room like you said just switching pics.

Any other ideas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules