Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Operating PB while it's placed vertically

Operating PB while it's placed vertically
8minute
Sep 15, 2004, 07:04 AM

I'm in the process of getting a bluetooth kb so I can connect my PB to external LCD and operate it with lid closed.

Thing is, space is at a premium on my desk, so I am wanting to stand my PB vertically (prolly standing it on the front edge so I still have access to my SD on the right and ports on the left, plus blow hot air out the back still). I also like the look of like a superslim tower when it's placed like that

I used to do this with my compaq laptop from work and have had no probs, but I'm not prepared be as nonchalant with my own PB! I am assuming that having the cd/dvd drive mounted vertically isn't a prob (judging from the G5 iMac's and the G4 cube) .... that's the only con I can think of with standing the PB vertically.

Has anyone done this with their PB? Anyone strongly advising against this practice? Does this mean I have to stand on my head when I am using my PB? ... sorry, that was a pathetic joke ....

| 12"Al.PB:1.33GHz:1.25GB:100GB:SD |

phantomac
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2004, 07:33 AM

Well, I guess the optical drive is not constructed for vertical operation. For all the other parts, there should be no problem.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by 8minute:
Does this mean I have to stand on my head when I am using my PB? ... sorry, that was a pathetic joke ....
Damn, that's pretty bad. As for your question, I've seen cooling stands that prop up the PB the way you mention and I don't think you'd see any problems as long as your not moving it around. Maybe someone else could chime in but I doubt that anything will happen to your 'book if used the way you mention. Take all this with a grain of salt, seeing how I have no clue about the interior HD or optical drive.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2004, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by phantomac:
Well, I guess the optical drive is not constructed for vertical operation. For all the other parts, there should be no problem.
I've done it. open the lid a bit so it's more stable, have the ports on top and the drive on the bottom. Played DVDs, games, music no problem, and tends to run cooler.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

8minute  (op)
Sep 16, 2004, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by killer_735:
I've done it. open the lid a bit so it's more stable, have the ports on top and the drive on the bottom. Played DVDs, games, music no problem, and tends to run cooler.
Ahhhh .. that's a good idea. But by leaving the lid open am I right in saying your PB runs in monitor spanning mode? I don't want to be spanning monitors when I won't be using one of the screens (ie. the PB screen which I won't be able to see).

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 12:24 PM

Put the PB to sleep and close the notebook, connect your external monitor, keyboard,and mouse. Wake up your computer and only your external will work no matter what you do to the PB. Then when you want your PB LCD back, just unplug the monitor and all will be well, atleast that's how I do it.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 09:42 PM

Be careful - all of the bits and bytes will fall off your hard drive if you do this.

Seriously - I never even thought of this. I don't think it should affect it one bit.

Of course, typing will be a pain.

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2004, 04:00 AM

Yeah never thought of this either! With the 12" it would work great too since all the ports are on one side and only the optical drive is on the other. It would look super cool!

You could even make some type of stand thing to hold it vertical (similar to the feet found on the new Dell slim desktop and other slim desktops) and it would look really sweet, all metal and all!

Too bad the apple logo would be upside-down. Doh!

But yeah the only worry I would have would be the optical drive not being able to work vertically, although since it is slot loading I don' think there will be a problem. There's a pretty obvious way to test it out though...

Ruahrc

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2004, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Ruahrc:
But yeah the only worry I would have would be the optical drive not being able to work vertically, although since it is slot loading I don' think there will be a problem. There's a pretty obvious way to test it out though...

Ruahrc
It does work just fine vertically. Look at that thing, there's no room inside for ANYTHING to move around.

Not sure what to say about the monitor spanning thing. I know that the vid card divides the vram in half when you span monitors, but I think when you use mirroring it's just the same output piped to two different ports. Haven't noticed any lag when I use an external monitor (mirror) and turn off the LCD, but then the most recent game I play is Tony Hawk 2....

Caveat...If you're concerned about using 2 monitors because you want good framerates, remember that Halo/Warcraft3/GhostRecon will all heat up your PB to the point that you probably don't want to run it with the lid closed. Optical drive heats up a fair amount as well.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

8minute  (op)
Sep 19, 2004, 07:55 PM

Yeah ... I can see that bugging me after awhile being the Mac perfectionists we all are

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 01:37 AM

this thread rocks. i had the same idea for my powerbook. keep posting!

my tests showed the superdrive works fine vertically. the powerbook looked awesome on my shelf, with my normal books. but i can't keep it there because, i connect it to an external monitor and might use the Super Drive (which is facing the desk and inaccessible).
Looking forward.

phantomac
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 02:10 AM

Well, if you place your PB so, that the side where the lid opens faces down, you could connect your peripherals in the back and access the optical drive in front. Be careful though, to leave enough space in the back for the fan to operate correctly.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 02:22 AM

Yeah never thought of this either! With the 12" it would work great too since all the ports are on one side and only the optical drive is on the other. It would look super cool!

so just flip it the other way so the logo is right side up? Would make more sense to me like that anyways so that the entire weight of the powerbook is not being exerted on the latch button, and with the AL books not having any ports in the back it seems to make more sense (at least in the 12" anyways). There are a few vents for cooling maybe but find something to elevate it a little and you should be good.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

phantomac
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 02:25 AM

Would make more sense to me like that anyways so that the entire weight of the powerbook is not being exerted on the latch button.
If you'd put it that way, you'd prevent the airflow from the back of the PB. Besides, at least on my PB, the latch button doesnt stick out in any way - no reason not to put it on that side. I'd use some kind of stand, anyway.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by phantomac:
If you'd put it that way, you'd prevent the airflow from the back of the PB. Besides, at least on my PB, the latch button doesnt stick out in any way
if I did it, I'd put it on a stand or something... I sure would not let it stand there on its own. I could just see it getting bumped over or something. Or put with the latch facing down and no stand I could see something happening and it sliding open and *snap* the LCD. from the rest of the case (probably not but better safe than sorry).
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2004, 02:48 AM

It would be nice if somebody made some kind of padded clamp that would allow to me to place my 12" upright so it's basically standing on its latch.

The port side would be well accessible, exactly like the optical drive, and cooling would be maybe even improved since the hot bottom would be purely surrounded by air.

Not to mention that it would look absolutely wonderful, like an ultra-thin, mini 'tower' with upright Apple logo.

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
It would be nice if somebody made some kind of padded clamp that would allow to me to place my 12" upright so it's basically standing on its latch.

The port side would be well accessible, exactly like the optical drive, and cooling would be maybe even improved since the hot bottom would be purely surrounded by air.

Not to mention that it would look absolutely wonderful, like an ultra-thin, mini 'tower' with upright Apple logo.
I second that. Sounds beautiful. Can we construct one with common office/desk items already?
Looking forward.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2004, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by alligator:
Be careful - all of the bits and bytes will fall off your hard drive if you do this.

Seriously - I never even thought of this. I don't think it should affect it one bit.

Of course, typing will be a pain.
i assume he's using a external keyboard .. sux my external keyboard is ps/2 and not usb .. would a ps/2 to usb connector/adaptor thing work for a keyboard?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 04:17 AM

I used a PS/2 mouse before through a USB adaptor. The keyboard should work as well.
Looking forward.

8minute  (op)
Sep 20, 2004, 05:54 AM

Okay ... as luck would have it, the stand that holds my external hdd vertically also does the same task for my pb! Good thing is the stand has some rubber padding on the inside .... so no scratched pb! I've taken a couple of pics of my initial setup

Unfortunately the apple logo doesn't glow as it uses the light from the LCD. But the kewl thing is the speakers from the pb actually still function when it's closed and hooked up to my external monitor. That'd be another reason not to have the pb resting on the back edge as the speakers would be covered (along with the hot air vent).

As for heat .... I've checked the temp for when it is standing vertically with lid closed, and sitting normally with lid open (both cases it is hooked up to my 16" external LCD running 1280x1024). In both cases the temp was the same: 52 degrees C (~125 F). So I guess that's good sign ...

( Last edited by 8minute; Sep 21, 2004 at 05:53 AM. )

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 09:56 PM

great pics 8minute. what brand LCD screen and model is that? do you like it?

It's a clean desk. i wonder if the magnets in the speakers are hurting your HDD though...
Looking forward.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 11:15 PM

I don't think they are hurting the drive.

8minute  (op)
Sep 20, 2004, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by dreamBweaver:
great pics 8minute. what brand LCD screen and model is that? do you like it?

It's a clean desk. i wonder if the magnets in the speakers are hurting your HDD though...
Thanks, even though they are pretty poor quality shots. I think I will take some better shots later.

It's a Sony 16" LCD ... can't remember the model, but it is around 3yrs old now. Has built in speakers (the photos are covering them) and vga and dvi inputs. It's hooked up with dvi to my pb and vga to my pc. There's a button on the front that lets me easily switch between the two.

Only prob is I have a stuck red pixel in the middle of the screen

Forum Links
Forum Rules