Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > quad G5-->dvi-->hdmi looking like crap

quad G5-->dvi-->hdmi looking like crap
wkw88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2007, 09:49 PM

I recently connected my G5 to my HDTV via a dvi-->HDMI adapter cable. It didn't look very good at all. Very grainy and a low refresh rate that I couldn't change. The displays system preference thing did correctly identify my Hitachi 1080 TV however (1920 x 1200). basically it was very grainy looking with visible flicker and the dock and the top menubar spilled off the edges of the screen. I was sort of hoping for a giant screen with nice picture quality. I didnt have any HD files to try out, I just plugged it in briefly and clicked around in the finder. I have since sold the G5 and now I would like to try the same thing with my macbook. Can I expect better results? I don't want to invest in the minidvi-->dvi adapter I would need for my macbook if it isn't going to be good image quality.

thanks for any advice

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2007, 11:08 PM

Plugging any computer into any TV will more than likely disappoint you in some way. The easy interoperability you come to expect with DVD players and cable boxes and tuners has not been a design/manufacture priority with computers yet. I've plugged various Macs (G3, G4, G5, PowerBooks) and PCs (with MCE and without, DVI, VGA, S-video) into various TVs (HDTV, EDTV, Plasma, CRT projection, LCD). I have yet to find a combination that just works and looks as good as you expect it to. You will find there are many reasons if you do some serious Googling on the subject.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2007, 10:01 AM

The quality will be the same.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

hookem2oo7
Senior User
May 7, 2007, 10:27 AM

isn't 1920x1200 a non-native resolution? shouldn't it be at 1920x1080?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 06:41 PM

Which video card do you have inside your G5?

In my case, I have a retail version of Radeon XT800 XT and it does 1920 x 1080 at 120Hz.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 9, 2007, 01:02 PM

TVs typically aren't good as monitors due to the low resolution and overscan, unless they are built for multi-purpose (TV and computer monitor). Although your TV does have a decent resolution IF it's a small TV. What's the size of your TV?

Also, the reason for the cutting off of the menu and the dock is either you don't have it at the right resolution (1920 x 1200 sounds strange for a TV, but it could be) as hookem2oo7 mentioned, or it could be overscan.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

pooka
Mac Elite
May 12, 2007, 01:47 PM

I've seen the same thing. Something about the DVI-HDMI that just sucks. I wish they would have stuck with DVI on higher end sets. If your set has VGA, give that a shot. I've hooked powerbooks, macbooks and g5's up and the quality is extremely good.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Forum Links
Forum Rules