Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Powerbook - loaded or base w/optional HD/DVD drives

12" Powerbook - loaded or base w/optional HD/DVD drives
laseca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2004, 12:38 AM

I'm looking to buy a new 12" Powerbook soon (along with a 23" CD) and having a tough time trying to decide what may be my best option.

Option 1:
Custom with 80GB 5400rpm and Superdrive. Add either a 512MB or 1GB memory stick.

Option 2:
Base model with combo drive. Remove the 60GB 4200rpm drive (use as external) for the Hitachi Travelstar 60GB 7200rpm drive. Get the new external LaCie Dual Layer DVD burner ($200). Add either a 512MB or 1GB memory stick.

I don't see doing that much DVD burning now but I may later and would prefer to have the latest DVD burner technology. Heard the 4200rpm drive is adequate but the 5400rpm would load programs considerably faster. How much faster compared to the Hitachi 7200rpm I wouldn't know. Heard it's better to have the Superdrive since there may be issue of Apple's DVD burning software recognizing third party DVD burners. LaCie states their drives are OS X compatible. The other concern is warranty. I presume an Apple authorized dealer can swap out the OEM drive with the Hitachi leaving the rest of the Powerbook under warranty excluding the hard drive.

Option 1 is one tight little package but wondering if going with Option 2 will really be worth the trouble. I'll be primarily surfing the web, emailing, running Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Office Mac 2004. I'm thinking Option 1 will probably be sufficient. I plan to keep this Powerbook for at least four years as I do with practically every Mac I've owned.

domymel
Aug 3, 2004, 12:47 PM

Hi,
not a really conclusive answer to your post, but I just ordered a 12" with the optinional harddrive.
Reasons: look at the speed test at www.barefeats.com

I think it makes a difference+ harddrive change is quite difficult and I don't want to bother doing it later- so I decided to go with the one time investment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules