Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Formula 1 Season 2005

Formula 1 Season 2005
TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2005, 09:59 AM

The Formula 1 season has been pretty disappointing so far. Only 7th place for Michael Schumacher this weekend.
What is wrong with the Ferraris?

Ω
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 10:11 AM

Disappointing?

It's been fantastic! This year we might actually have a championship.

Go DC!

Sealobo
Mar 20, 2005, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
The Formula 1 season has been pretty disappointing so far. Only 7th place for Michael Schumacher this weekend.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Mar 20, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by _?_:
Disappointing?

It's been fantastic! This year we might actually have a championship.

Go DC!
Great race today...

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 03:08 PM

Alonso seems to be kicking some butts so far....:-)
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 03:14 PM

What is wrong with the Ferraris?
Ferrari is still using 2004 spec engines...blah!! Sauber is using the 2005 spec Ferrari engines WTF!! I'm a die-hard Ferrari fan but their constant winning was boring...I like that others will be winning.

I think the tire changes made the race more exciting. I dunno im still going to Indy to the USGP.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2005, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
I like that others will be winning.
I don't like that. A race should be thrilling, but Schumacher should win it in the end. I don't understand why the Ferraris are so bad now. Sure they driving last year's car, but that was a winning car after all! Why is the same car now so bad?

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 04:34 PM

I don't like that. A race should be thrilling, but Schumacher should win it in the end. I don't understand why the Ferraris are so bad now. Sure they driving last year's car, but that was a winning car after all! Why is the same car now so bad?
They are driving this years body but last years engine...as far as it not doing well...that is a combo of older engine bad tires, car setup etc... IMHO

I would like to see Ferrari win again but I like the good competition not a runaway like for the past 7 years.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 04:35 PM

Because last year's car wasn't designed around this year's rules.

Anyhow, it's customary to hate Michael Schumacher even if you aren't British, Finnish or French Canadian
( Last edited by Krypton; Mar 20, 2005 at 04:43 PM. )

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2005, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
Ferrari is still using 2004 spec engines...blah!! Sauber is using the 2005 spec Ferrari engines WTF!! I'm a die-hard Ferrari fan but their constant winning was boring...I like that others will be winning.

I think the tire changes made the race more exciting. I dunno im still going to Indy to the USGP.
No.

Ferrari are using the 2005 spec 054 engine however they are using the F2004M chassis which is just an evolution of last years chassis modified to conform to the new rules.

In the pre-season everyone knew that Renault were the fastest but their reliability was up in the air and if their engines can survive the tremendous heat of Kuala Lumpur they will be difficult to stop. Ferrari better hope that the F2005 is almost 7 tenths a second faster per lap otherwise they have no shot.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2005, 05:13 PM

Ferrari better hope that the F2005 is almost 7 tenths a second faster per lap otherwise they have no shot.
F2005 is 5 tenths a second faster per lap actually that F2004, that said by Marc Gen�, but they are going to need a much improved Bridgestone tyres though.

Today�s fastest laps:

Kimi R�ikk�nen 1:35.483
Nick Heidfeld 1:35.712
Jarno Trulli 1:35.816
Fernando Alonso 1:35.899
Mark Webber 1:36.026
Giancarlo Fisichella Renault 1:36.182
Ralf Schumacher 1:36.321
Juan Pablo Montoya 1:36.585
David Coulthard 1:36.790
Rubens Barrichello 1:36.878
Christian Klien 1:36.902
Michael Schumacher 1:36.982

Is going Kimi to have such a bad luck forever!?

Great job made by Renault

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2005, 05:19 PM

A race should be thrilling, but Schumacher should win it in the end.
Oh my! Bernie�s thoughts !! Just add 'at any cost'

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2005, 05:43 PM

Schumacher not winning makes a bad season, hehe, you should be a comedian with lines like that!

The Malaysian race was great, one of the best for a long while. This years rules have made it better if anything, its a proper full length race now, instead of a series of sprints. If a teams car is using its tyres badly (Ferrari), then its their problem to catch up and develop something that works. The other teams have been chasing Ferrari for too long now, its brilliant that Ferrari are in for a fight, it makes a better race to see what most people think are the class of the field going by last years results having to sweat a bit to get somewhere. Maybe they now know what its been like to be any team in F1 but Ferrari for the last couple of years.

F1 2005

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
No.

Ferrari are using the 2005 spec 054 engine however they are using the F2004M chassis which is just an evolution of last years chassis modified to conform to the new rules.

In the pre-season everyone knew that Renault were the fastest but their reliability was up in the air and if their engines can survive the tremendous heat of Kuala Lumpur they will be difficult to stop. Ferrari better hope that the F2005 is almost 7 tenths a second faster per lap otherwise they have no shot.

I got it mixed up from the Speed tv commentary it seems

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2005, 01:50 PM

Bridgestone now takes the responsibility for the bad Ferrari results.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...08_L22481453:1

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2005, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Sealobo:
I second that!
(a perfect season would be a season without M. Schumacher winning a single race)

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2005, 05:08 AM

Ferrari is better in qualifying with the new car.

roberto blanco
Senior User
Apr 3, 2005, 05:28 AM

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2005, 09:11 AM

Ferrari is better in qualifying with the new car.
Shall we comment on that....

More points for DC!

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2005, 09:20 AM

The Saubers are better than Ferrari.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2005, 09:23 AM

Great season so far, great race today

The F2004M (raced in Melbourne and Sepang) was a modified version of last years car, and it used last years engine.

The F2005 (raced today in Dubai) uses the 2005 engine. The engines and cars are NOT interchangeable. The 2005 engine will not fit in the F2004/F2004M, and last years engine will not fit in the F2005.
12" Rev B PB

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2005, 09:26 AM

Awesome duo Renault-Alonso, fantastic McLaren�s De la Rosa, talk about F1 being boring !

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2005, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by angelmb:
Awesome duo Renault-Alonso, fantastic McLaren�s De la Rosa, talk about F1 being boring !
I was very impressed with De La Rosa, I thought he'd get walloped by Kimi, but he held his own reasonably well. Has changed my opinion of him a bit, as Irvine annhilated him when they were both at Jaguar.
12" Rev B PB

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2005, 10:08 AM

haha, I might download this race just to see MS's gearbox fail him.

Everyone is in some serious trouble - Renault are just amazing.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2005, 02:13 PM

i hope BAR honda can get at least a point today.
iamwhor3hay

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2005, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
i hope BAR honda can get at least a point today.
Sorry friend, the race is over, both 007 were out of luck again.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2005, 03:47 PM

i saw. sucks. button had a good race until that point though. got up to 4th i believe. sigh. who knew they'd have so many problems with reliability this year?
iamwhor3hay

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2005, 05:25 PM

Watching Sato was hysterical, from about lap 10 you could see he was never going to make the end of the race. Every time he hit the brakes his car disappeared in clouds of black dust. He was lucky he didn't end up in the wall!
12" Rev B PB

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2005, 06:27 PM

but Button is one of the smoothest drivers on the circuit, why can't he finish a race either?
iamwhor3hay

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2005, 06:32 PM

if there were any walls to go ino and not miles of tarmac to spin around and drive back on to the circuit. Was a good race though de la Rosa was fun to watch getting past people. Not sure how fast the ferrari genuinely was in a race though, Barry had troubles all through and Schumacher went out before his 1st stop. They could have been fuelled light to scare the others in qualifying and as far as they went in the race, knowing that the gearboxes weren't up to much for that race and there wasnt much chance of finishing well. Just a thought.

Look out though, Minardi will have a new car for the next race, and they are gunning for..... Jordan.

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2005, 07:18 PM

Minardi seem to have one of the more reliable packages this year!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2005, 04:22 AM

You can be the smoothest driver in the world, but if your car packs up, you are not going to get anywhere. _?_ is right about Minardi, with these new 2 race engines and the reliability problems teams are having with them, I can se Minardi pinching a few points this year, they've done it before, ask Mark Webber!

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2005, 05:07 AM

Originally posted by ajprice:
You can be the smoothest driver in the world, but if your car packs up, you are not going to get anywhere. _?_ is right about Minardi, with these new 2 race engines and the reliability problems teams are having with them, I can se Minardi pinching a few points this year, they've done it before, ask Mark Webber!
If their new "radiacal" car is half decent (rather than the current wheel barrow they're racing), then they could certainly give Jordan a run for their money, because as Red Bull have shown, there's nothing at all wrong with this years Cosworth engine
12" Rev B PB

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 09:33 AM

Imola was better for Ferrari! They seem to be back.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Is going Kimi to have such a bad luck forever!?

Great job made by Renault
Kimi�s bad luck again.

superb Alonso race again.

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2005, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Kimi�s bad luck again.

superb Alonso race again.
I thought Schumie was going to monster him at the end, but on the whole a good race - if only we could have more overtaking.

Would have been interesting to see how Kimi would have fared if his car could complete a circuit.....

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2005, 12:09 PM

Shame Kimi didn't play any part in the race, I was annoyed to see Button roll-over and take it yet again as soon as anyone tries to pass him, but what a tense finish. Great driving from Fernando, Ferrari's pace is looking very ominous though!
12" Rev B PB

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 02:09 PM

Kimi with no car failure, Kimi wins, his pace was so far superior today, and the whole weekend.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2005, 02:19 PM

I don't think Kimi would have had the same pace as Michael, and we also don't know how much fuel Kimi was carrying - Alonso reckoned that he must have been light to be that much faster than his Renault this morning. Also worth remembering that before Kimi's driveshaft failure Alonso had pegged Kimi, and he wasn't drawing ahead anymore.
12" Rev B PB

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2005, 04:44 PM

Go BAR HONDA!!!!!!!!!!!
iamwhor3hay

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 01:05 PM

So we have an issue with the reds, again.

Ferrari have been accused of gaining unfair advantage by testing heavily this season after they stunned their rivals with a dramatic comeback in the San Marino Grand Prix here Sunday.

Michael Schumacher, a finisher in only one of the first three races, surged through the field into second at Imola after pushing winner Fernando Alonso, of Renault, all the way in a thrilling race. But the Italian giants benefited from their refusal to join a gentlemen's agreement to limit in-season testing to 30 days their critics say and their move could now force some teams to break their promise and return to a full testing programme.

BAR-Honda team chief Nick Fry, whose driver Jenson Button finished third, said: "Frankly I'm glad Alonso won because if Ferrari had won it would have been a hollow victory and I would have felt very sorry for Renault. It would have been fairly un-sportsmanlike in some ways had Ferrari revelled in a victory when we have handicapped ourselves deliberately by (limiting testing) to keep costs down. Ferrari are flaunting that and this is the result."

"BAR have done more testing than any other team, but Ferrari have done 85 percent more miles than we have by totally ignoring the gentleman's agreement between the teams and putting themselves in a better position. Ferrari undoubtedly will start winning because you cannot test in the way they test with their resources and not benefit versus the rest of us. It was inevitable they would come back."

Ferrari chose not to sign up to the testing agreement because they claim to have concentrated their resources on testing, with two private test tracks and a full test team, rather than in other areas of development.

The nine other teams insisted at the start of the season that they would remain committed to their cause, but Toyota president John Howett, whose team are currently second behind Renault in the championship, does not expect that to last.

Howett said: "I think the agreement has already (started to break down) because I don't think Ferrari's competitors can just sit there and accept them driving into the distance. Either Ferrari must join the remaining teams or we need to find some sort of compromise where there is an equivalence. Otherwise people will start to test remorselessly."

"I think everyone is saying that we feel everything we are doing is correct and right but Ferrari's (testing schedule) will force others to do the same. It is a question of common sense."

Actual Ferrari have no idea about fair play, it is not a surprise even Faenza folks hate them.

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 01:29 PM

Well, all other teams are on Michelin tires, so if each team has the same test-km then the Michelin tires are tested much much more. And that's why we have seen the Michelin teams in such an advantage this season. That's not a fair situation. So Ferrari has to test more to have a chance. They don't have a choice.

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 06:27 PM

I am sure all the testing is done solely for the tires.....

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by _?_
I am sure all the testing is done solely for the tires.....
Do you agree or do you not agree that if each team would have the same number of test-km, that Bridgestone would have a much lower number of test-km and therefore severe disadvantage?

Since the tires had been one of the weak points this season, Ferrari has to test more. They have no choice. That's just it.

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 07:33 PM

Last time I looked there was more to a F1 cars than just the tires.

If we start down this road how many teams are using Ferrari engines? Do we then limit how many km's Ferrari can do because Sauber also uses Ferrari engines rebadged as Petronas?

Your argument is weak.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 07:54 PM

Bridgestone used to have more than half the grid but because they focused exclusively on Ferrari (even when McLaren was on 'Stones) the teams moved away from Bridgestone because Michelin was actually willing to work with each team for their specific cars. Bridgestone and Ferrari brought this problem upon themselves.

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Agasthya
Bridgestone and Ferrari brought this problem upon themselves.
And they are willing to bring them out themselves. It's not them who are doing the whining. It's the other teams.

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 05:45 PM

It seems that now BAR has been catched cheating, but I do not yet understand what exactly they did wrong. Allegedly they might be disqualified for the rest of the season.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 06:37 PM

There was a hearing today, but I don't think the result has been announced yet. The acqusation is basically that they were using fuel as ballast. The cars have to weigh 600kg with the driver in and no fuel. When they drained Button's car of fuel after the last race, it weighed just over 600kg's, the scrutineers asked the team if there was anymore fuel in the car, and they said there was not. The scrutineers then inspected the car and found a second fuel tank with another 6kg's of fuel in, obviously when this was drained the car was underweight and illegal. If you have a look on google news you'll find reams of stuff on it, but that's the brief version.

I found that Apple supply an iCal Calendar that you can subscribe to showing when all the F1 races are which is quite cool - you can get it here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/ical/library/

Unfortunately the times for the races are all in local time, so they all say that the race is early afternoon, but apart from that it's cool
12" Rev B PB

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 06:41 PM

The way you describe it, I would consider that cheating. At Spiegel.de it was described very confusingly and I didn't quite understand what they did wrong.

I'm using the following calendar, and all times are shown correctly in my time.

webcal://ical.mac.com/ical/F1.ics

Forum Links
Forum Rules