Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Garbled Display after upgrade to 1.2.1

Garbled Display after upgrade to 1.2.1
dynsight
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2006, 11:08 PM

I have a 5.5 G 60 GB iPod (less than a year old). After a recent upgrade to 1.2.1, the display would become "garbled" after about 10 minutes on shuffle (never got messed up on video, however).

Rolling back to version 1.12 solves the problem.

Took it to Apple "Genius" and they said it was not covered under Warranty, since they could not prove that it is defective (it still plays video and music). Display is not covered.

Anyone experience a similar issue and can offer suggestions?

paulc
Dec 21, 2006, 11:12 AM

FWIW, I had a major, deal-breaking bug with 1.2.1, smart playlists that happened to have no more content were still loaded on my 5.5G 80G Pod. At the time, I had about 250 for such lists, only 50 or so having content. With 1.2.1, all 250 were listed on the Pod! I was finally able to roll it back to 1.2 and that bug is gone (check xlr8yourmac.com, Wednesday's news for procedure). There does seem to be a huge number of folks having various issues with 1.2.1, then again, I have this impression that most use a m$ OS.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2006, 05:04 PM

Not covered? Bullsh*t! There is a problem. Call Apple directly for a replacement or go to a different Apple store.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2006, 05:32 PM

This is why I resist Apple firmware upgrades unless absolutely necessary or bundled with a feature that I find I really want.

kick52
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 07:33 PM

um.. have you tried restoring your ipod? it seems like the most logical thing to do, as the update must of screwed it up. most likely a bad firmware write.

go into itunes, click on your ipod, go down the bottom, and click restore.

its obvious this is a softare/firmware problem, as the text is just garbled, and (it looks like) lots of text has been printed on the screen over and over again.

paulc
Dec 23, 2006, 11:52 PM

Yes, I successfully restored a 5.5G video that had 1.2.1 back to 1.2. I kinda lucked out because I HAD the 1.2 update files (iPod_25.1.2.ipsw & iPod_25.1.2.ipsw.signature). I read that ...13.1.2.ipsw will also work.

Not a bad firmware write (I applied 1.2.1 from 2 different downloads), bug ridden software. Inexcusable for a product as mature as the Pod is.

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2006, 10:54 PM

Do a restore and make sure you are using the latest Windows XP SP2 as well as USB 2.0 and latest drivers. IF there is still an issue I do not see why a Genius wouldnt take it back. Try to call apple care.

Lech Martynowski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2007, 11:44 AM

hello, where I can find the following files: iPod_25.1.2.ipsw & iPod_25.1.2.ipsw.signature,
(I mean on the web, my old FW 1.2 was deleted from my computer),
thanks for hulp,
Lech

Forum Links
Forum Rules