Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB 2.0 Hubs

USB 2.0 Hubs
paulc
Mar 13, 2007, 01:40 PM

I'm starting to get more USB 2 devices than ever before. But I have a simple question. If I have a USB 2 hub on a USB 2 capable port, can I put both 1.1 and 2.0 devices in that hub and have each device i/o data at it's rated speed? FYI, I'd have the keyboard and trackball hooked up, so would there very much 1.1 speeds hang up any 2.0 devices on the hub?

Or should I leave the 11 devices on my current 1.1 hub and use a 2.0 hub on a separate port with only 2.0 devices hooked into it?

richwig83
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2007, 02:44 PM

Each device will work at its maximum speed. AFAIK all apple keyboards are USB 1.1 and have no effect on other devices attached to a USB2 hub!

Also if u have an apple KB dont plug USB2 devices in, they will be crippled to 1.1 (you could plug your trackball into the KB to free up a usb2 port on your hub)

paulc  (op)
Mar 14, 2007, 10:45 AM

Ah, thanks. Yes I know the keyboard is 1.1, yes my trackball is ordinarily plugged into it as it does not need anything faster than 1.1. Yes, I know that the keyboard is a daisy chain device, so I would always assume anything daisy chained off it would only operate at the speed the keyboard has.

Of course, in my cursory looks so far, a hub SHOULD have all it's connections off of one side of it, but they all seem designed to plug into multiple sides. What a messy situation with a hub meant to consolidate things creating this messy spider-like jumble on your desk!

paulc  (op)
Mar 14, 2007, 05:03 PM

Well, it seems my concern IS justified and I didn't dream reading that there are issues mixing 1.1 and 2.0 devices on the same hub. I narrowed my search down to a D-Link 2.0 hub w/a DC power supply. Thank heavens for Amazon reviews... one of the reviews points out that the documentation, not the "specs," clearly says that when you mix 1.1 and 2.0 devices on the hub, it drops to 1.1. speed for all devices.

D-Link is a very well known manufacturer of network stuff, so I can't imagine they are the only manufacturer making a device with that limitation. "Compatibility" does not mean all devices work as one would expect them to, just that they work.

Absent any device clearly saying it passes 2.0 speed from a 2.0 device on a hub with 1.1 devices, I think the correct assumption is that one should NOT mix 1.1 and 2.0 on the same hub if one wants the real speed of each device to be delivered.

Forum Links
Forum Rules