Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > LivePartitioning in Leopard's DiskUtility?

LivePartitioning in Leopard's DiskUtility?
paulc
Nov 28, 2007, 03:43 PM

Background is that while I'd like to move to Leopard, one issue is I still use an old Classic app. Obviously, Classic is no longer in Leopard. So 'I'm thinking that I'd like to have a very small partition with Tiger/Classic and this app.

My boot disk (actually a 2 drive stripped array using Apple software that is 468Gs of total formatted available space) has about 350G of stuff , so wiping it, apply partitions then "restoring" all that stuff is much the pain. So I think that live partitioning is supposed to be a feature of 10.5's DU, so I could be "saved."

So what I'd want to do is archive/install Leopard. Then use it's DU to create a second mountable partition around 8G or so. Then install Tiger/Classic/Classic app on it.

WILL DU do this? I HAVE come across threads where it was said DU can re size partition but it can't create any... so it doesn't surprise me a "feature" was added that in the light of day can't do what you'd expect (frequent happenstance w/Apple software).

Can I use it to create a new partition on an existing volume, while reducing the overall space available for the existing partition?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2007, 04:06 PM

Yes, but I don't know if it works with RAIDs.
Vandelay Industries

paulc  (op)
Nov 28, 2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Yes, but I don't know if it works with RAIDs.
Thanks Art... that's why I mentioned "Apple's RAID." Which supposedly presents itself to the OS as a simple volume.

Anyone know if an Apple RAID negates this function?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2007, 04:58 PM

If you already have Leopard, boot from the Leopard DVD and run Disk Utility. Then you can test to see if it allows you to live partition.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2007, 05:02 PM

FYI...

Just checked Leopard's Disk Utility help and there is no mention of RAIDs having any limitations regarding partitioning.
Vandelay Industries

paulc  (op)
Nov 28, 2007, 05:12 PM

Thanks again, I should have thought of doing what you suggest! I had "thought" I had to have already DONE the Leopard update! Right after my next backup I'll try it...

Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 11:53 AM

Note that Disk Utility can move the end of a partition (thereby creating extra room for a new partition), but it can't move the beginning of a partition.

paulc  (op)
Nov 30, 2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Note that Disk Utility can move the end of a partition (thereby creating extra room for a new partition), but it can't move the beginning of a partition.
Ah, sounds like one resizes the single partition then can use DU to create a new one... excellent.

Still, it could be that legit data may be written close to the end partition point. One would assume "shrinking" the main partition may involve some data moving by DU, right?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 02:58 PM

Maybe, but every time I've done it, the diagram shows all the data bunched up at the top of the partition. Also, the actual partitioning has always been very quick.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules