Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > NBC releases Olympic apps for statistics, live streams

NBC releases Olympic apps for statistics, live streams
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 12, 2012, 03:44 PM

NBC and Adobe have unveiled apps for the network's coverage of the London 2012 Olympic Games. The standard NBC Olympics app will give medal counts, schedules and other statistics on the games, while the NBC Olympics Live Extra app will offer live video streams to users of all 302 events across the 32 sports. The apps will be available in separate smartphone and tablet editions for both Android and iOS.

Intended as a "second screen," the NBC Olympics app is meant to be an extra viewing aid to televised coverage, giving further news and results than the TV highlights will offer. Social networking is implemented in-app for users of Facebook and Twitter. Although both apps will be free, the video streams in the NBC Olympics Live Extra app will only be available to those subscribing to a qualifying cable or satellite TV package. Other services have already explained how they will put their Olympic coverage online. YouTube will be streaming live feeds to countries without an Olympic broadcaster, while the BBC will be adding 24 live streams to its website for UK viewers, as well as extra statistics and athlete information, and has also hinted that it may launch its own free apps. [via Engadget]

paulc
Jul 13, 2012, 02:07 PM

As of today, there seems to only be one app (in phone and tablet versions) available from NBC (NBC Olympics Live Extra).

What I don't get is me being required to sign into my cable provider... they obviously know I'm going through a fully authorized cable modem, so there is no question I'm a customer. Oh well... I only mention that because the NBC app tells me my user & password are invalid. Which they obviously are not. The same "credentials" are more than fine to access my account, access my DVR remotely, access the TWC live stream app etc.

Maybe the BBC apps are properly done...

Forum Links
Forum Rules