Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple introduces 4th-generation iPad

Apple introduces 4th-generation iPad
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 23, 2012, 10:10 AM

At Apple's media event today, the Cupertino company introduced an updated version of its iPad tablet, giving the device a boost in performance as well as compatibility with Apple's new Lightning connector standard. The fourth-generation iPad features an A6X processor which is said to double CPU, graphics, and image processing performance above Apple's A5.

The new iPad also features up to 10 hours of battery life, FaceTime HD with 720p recording and transmission, and cellular LTE connectivity as an option. Apple says the new iPad features 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, with 2.4GHz and 5GHz for the n-band. Apple will also be releasing a number of new Lightning cords for the new iPad, including Lightning to USB, SD, HDMI, and VGA. It will be available in black or white. The 16GB Wi-Fi only model will sell for $499, while the version with Wi-Fi+Cellular will start at $629.

SegNerd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2012, 10:45 AM

The iPad 4 itself is cool, but I'm a little stunned that Apple clearly established that the iPad has an annual release schedule - then all of a sudden, my iPad 3 is obsolete after only 7 months.

My iPhone 4S isn't eligible for an upgrade either, so I guess Apple expects me to pay full price and replace all of my equipment.

paulc
Oct 23, 2012, 11:04 AM

Uh, how do you think they managed to have something like 120 BILLION in cash?

So they put in the CPU that they may have (could have) done this past spring AND changed the connector, obsoleting everything out there... except they now have a whole new revenue stream with adapters. And didn't they already claim the A5S was double the previous chip?

AND what the hell are they calling this one? The third gen they apparently decided to call it the NEW iPad, not the iPad 3. So what is this one, the New New iPad? The Newer iPad?

And how about cursor keys... I mean something actually useful for users.

testudo
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2012, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
The iPad 4 itself is cool, but I'm a little stunned that Apple clearly established that the iPad has an annual release schedule - then all of a sudden, my iPad 3 is obsolete after only 7 months.
My iPhone 4S isn't eligible for an upgrade either, so I guess Apple expects me to pay full price and replace all of my equipment.
Um, you'd pay full price for a new iPad no matter when they release it.

And what do you care? Is there anything so earth-shattering about the ipad 4 has over the ipad 3 (sorry, the 'new iPad'), or the iPhone 5 has over the 4S, that you feel compelled to upgrade? And if so, then the upgrade must be worth it, so why are you whining about the price?

But I'd like to know what you'd have them do? Not update the iPad, so the mini is a better device, at cheaper, and so really kills sales? Or just hold the mini for another 6 months because that's when it meets 'your' schedule?

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2012, 11:25 AM

Your iPad 3 is obsolete because they released new iPads today? And you feel pressured to purchase a new one simply because... they released new ones?

Does that mean you consider your 2011 car obsolete? Your 2011 TV obsolete? Your stove? Your house? Your shoes? Certainly you don't upgrade everything else in your life simply because a new one came out, all the while railing against the company that produced those things, saying stuff like "Oh, so I suppose Mazda expects me to pay FULL PRICE for a new car simply because the taillights are different on this 2013 model!" -- so why is your iPad suddenly obsolete?

Grendelmon
Senior User
Oct 23, 2012, 11:48 AM

What it's like to own an Apple product

SegNerd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2012, 12:10 PM

No you trolls, it's obsolete because Apple implied that the iPad and its connector would be current for at least a year, then pulled the rug out from under me and released double the speed for the same price.

I love Apple, but there are some people who would defend Apple even if they announced a plan to blow up the universe. You are just being ridiculous.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2012, 01:34 PM

Apple implied none of that. And even if they did, I'm sure your iPad 3 will last another 5 months to round out your "guaranteed, affirmed, assured" 1-year usage. Seriously -- the old dock connector isn't going to die today, nor is it going to die in the next 5 months.

I love Apple, but there are some people who would defend Apple even if they announced a plan to blow up the universe. You are just being ridiculous.
I'll just let you think about that for a minute, and you tell me who is being ridiculous.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2012, 07:59 PM

Apple is playing "Catch me if you can". Not to the consumer though but to the competitors. Especially Microsoft, you can really exhaust them until they gave up Zune. For Samsung, it's to keep them at arm's length at all time. For consumer, iPad is just like another computer. You upgrade them every few years.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by DiabloConQueso View Post
Your iPad 3 is obsolete because they released new iPads today? And you feel pressured to purchase a new one simply because... they released new ones?
The problem with Apple is that, once your iDevice is a generation behind, they start treating you like a second class citizen. In 2013, they'll announce iOS7, and there will be some new, great feature that will be iPad4 only.

Forum Links
Forum Rules