Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 5 Suggestions

iTunes 5 Suggestions
ZackS
Banned
Sep 26, 2003, 02:02 AM

As the most mature of all the iApps, I can't imagine much changing in iTunes 5. There's not much more I want.

The only feature I really want now is the ability to 2-way sync iTMS m4p files. There's no legal reason you shouldn't be able to from right in iTunes because you can't play them without authorization anyway. I'd rather not have to burn a CD every time I buy a new song at one of my 3 computers.

Any other good suggestions for it?

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2003, 02:16 AM

How about opening up the audio engine to plugins, like WinAmp, so it can play all my OTHER music (spc, nsf, gym, mod, sid, etc...)

How about optimizing it so scrolling the track title doesn't eat 5% of the CPU.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2003, 03:15 AM

I'd like iTunes to automatically get the album cover of a CD I am ripping, like it does for the ID3 tags.

That's all I can think of right now.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2003, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
I'd like iTunes to automatically get the album cover of a CD I am ripping, like it does for the ID3 tags.

That's all I can think of right now.
Considering they have album art w/ the iTMS, they shouldn't have a problem finding a place to grab the images from.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 05:47 AM

I would like to see artists listed seperatly

I have a song by say Artist A and Artist B, instead of it being listed as Artist A and Artist B, when there is a comma or something that tells iTunes to seperate the artists.

Example I have Bin Crosby, andalso Bin Crosvt and X other artist. so I can't just go and click on artist bin crosby,since there are 2 - 3 - 4 bin crosby listing in the artist column

Another nice feature would be auto beat determination.

Also would like to see a way to store the info I entered on a CD in case I need to reimport it in the future. This would save alot of time since the CDDB is a joke 99% of the time. I like perfect ID3 tags.

Also would be cool to be able to store multiple bitrates of the same sone. I use AAC 320kbps for my computer, but want 160-192kbps MP3 for m MP3 player, it's a pain to have to maintain 2 sets of files.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2003, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
How about opening up the audio engine to plugins, like WinAmp, so it can play all my OTHER music (spc, nsf, gym, mod, sid, etc...)
QuickTime is open to plug-ins.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2003, 07:02 AM

Yes, my impression is that iTunes can play anything Quicktime can, though it may not support id3 tagging for other formats.

My simple request is to support having the controller window on one screen, and the visualizer run fullscreen on another monitor. That would be perfect!

Lew
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 09:02 AM

I'd like it to automatically set the start time and end time to eliminate the silence between tracks. I hate having to rip mix tapes as a single track. There are options in teh current iTunes to manually set the start and end points but they're not very intuitive. Even having a visual waveform representation with manually dragable start/end markers would be better than the current 'guess how long and enter that time' method.

tabarnak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 11:36 AM

i would love to see system-wide labels so i can use them in iTunes. i have some band i listen more, or a new album wich i just add that i would love to find faster in the librairy.. labels seems perfect for that.

one other thing i would love to see fix: i just simply hate the fact that when you plug your iPod, it deceide to select it in iTunes. so the pause button change to stop and you have to expand iTunes and select the librairy on playlist you were listening because you can't pause it anymore! if i want select iPod, i'll do it myself.. most of the time i plug it to charge the battery. that thing drive me nuts!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2003, 11:57 AM

I think they should create another iApp called iAudio (or something) that is a simple audio editing Application. It doesn't need to be fancy (QuickTime would do most of the work).

The Application Should:
- Permit "trimming" of audio files (MP4, aac etc.)
- Recording from various sources
- "Save As" to a variety of formats
- A basic tone generator
- Basic "transitions"
- A visual way to edit music/sounds etc.
- (limited) Multiple tracks (cap it at 18 or something)

Although not everyone would find it useful, but many quasi-artists would love such an application for general audio recording. I know there are a ton of little applications that do this, but many of them (A) cost money, (B) aren't well designed (C) aren't maintained or (D) have limited capabilities.

I see an application that is the iApp counterpart of Soundtrack.

Something that will almost be a pro application, but simplified for the non tech savvy.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2003, 12:54 PM

Enable the printing of libraries/playlists in a legible manner, perhaps even allowing the user to customize (if this can already be done, someone please let me know )

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 01:16 PM

Nested playlists is all I request. . .

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Enable the printing of libraries/playlists in a legible manner, perhaps even allowing the user to customize (if this can already be done, someone please let me know )
Well, what I do is reorder all the table columns to just be Artist Title Album then select all, copy, paste into TextEdit. I guess it's not that pretty though.

Or if you're into that kind of thing, you could use Applescript. You can make it output to pretty much anything with that.

ZackS  (op)
Banned
Sep 26, 2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Yes, my impression is that iTunes can play anything Quicktime can, though it may not support id3 tagging for other formats.

My simple request is to support having the controller window on one screen, and the visualizer run fullscreen on another monitor. That would be perfect!
With iTunes 4, any format that does not support tagging gets its tag info stored in the iTunes library file.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 01:54 PM

As others pointed out it is very easy to add to QT to play things like Ogg files or DiVX files. You can easily add these files to iTunes.

Here's the Ogg plug in

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13012

I thought of one more thing that I wish it supported: multiple genres for a single song. Right now that is such a pain to handle that I don't really bother using genres.

rishio
Sep 26, 2003, 02:00 PM

They need to add the disc icon in iphoto when burning a disk. iPhoto gives visual feedback to how much space is used when burning photos to a disk - really nice. With iTunes, I have to look at the total number of minutes and take a half second to think how much I am under and what size song I should ask next... Try burning photos using iPhoto and you'll be surprised they didn't add it to iTunes.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Mimizuku no Lew:
I'd like it to automatically set the start time and end time to eliminate the silence between tracks. I hate having to rip mix tapes as a single track. There are options in teh current iTunes to manually set the start and end points but they're not very intuitive. Even having a visual waveform representation with manually dragable start/end markers would be better than the current 'guess how long and enter that time' method.
Thank you! This has been my pet peeve for some time. There are technical hurdles to navigate to do this -- both your MP3 encoder and your MP3 player need to be able to transition from one track to another seamlessly. Most encoders and players add padding at the end, this is the silence you hear. While encoding in partilular, you may need to borrow a few milliseconds of the next track to encode this right.

There is software that does this correctly (lame w/ the --nogap option for encoding, mpg123 for playing), but for some reason iTunes doesn't. Pity.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2003, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by oVeRmInD911:
Well, what I do is reorder all the table columns to just be Artist Title Album then select all, copy, paste into TextEdit. I guess it's not that pretty though.
I tried something like that and went blind trying to read it (I presently have almost 15,000 songs in my library and another 5,000 to rip). It'd be nice to be able to print something straight from iTunes that was more attractive.

-Q-
Sep 26, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
You can also export the song list as a text file and drop it onto Excel (not sure if it works with AppleWorks) and it separates everything by columns. You can then play with the font, sort order or whatever you like there...

Bohemia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 08:59 PM

I'd like the printing thingy too.. For example, when you burn a cd, you could choose to print a cd cover (front and/or back) with the track names and artists on. Different styles/themes wold be nice.

2. I'd like iTunes to have a "queue" function. You say "place in queue" and it plays right after the song that's currently playing, or after the last song in the queue. WinAmp has this feature.

3. Jukebox/party/drunk mode. Fullscreen. People choose songs, but they're placed in a queue. This shoud be really big, people should get this even when they're drunk hehe...

bmedina
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 02:35 AM

1. Nested playlists. The capability is already there, as they use it for the Music Store. Just let us use it please. And on a related note, why isn't the Radio section a nested playlist with the categories corresponding to individual playlists?

2. Better sorting capabilities. You can now pick what to sort by, but there's no way to, for instance, sort by artist, then album, then track number, etc....

3. Paranoid CD ripping for all those CDs lying around with scratches all over them.

4. We desperately need a better way to share music files across multiple user account.

That's all I can think of for now.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2003, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by Mac Write:
I use AAC 320kbps for my computer,

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by bmedina:
3. Paranoid CD ripping for all those CDs lying around with scratches all over them.
what do you mean by this?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 01:45 PM

Paranoid CD ripping is a way of performing error correction when a part of a song cannot be read by the cd drive. Currently, iTunes just generates a horrible skip. Paranoid CD ripping would remove these skips.
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2003, 05:37 PM

Most of this stuff I've said before:

1) smarter playlists

2) cascading genres/sub genres/multiple genres (and have a primary genre for id3 tag purposes)

3) iSync integration (for playcount and last played and all that kind of stuff over multiple computers)

4) ability to reconnect lost songs automatically (when iTunes inexplicably loses them... they're in the iTunes Music/Artist/Album/song.aac location but iTunes puts (!) next to the title)

5) better implementation of the iPod's on-the-go playlist

~BS

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Mimizuku no Lew:
Apple iTunes needs to support Regions in Toast '.Sd2f' disk images. If iTunes did this u could extract the audio (save as disk image in Toast) from your CD that contains track markers, once uploaded to your iTunes playlist every track in the image is viewable an playable without pauses between the tracks.

Instead the image loaded in iTunes is handled as a single long 80min continuous track and i think this complete laziness on Apple's behalf.

intastella
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 09:06 PM

-Customizable labels to be used in smart playlists

-Nested playlists

-Ability to move songs to the trash in smart playlists and regular playlists.

Lertsiri
Sep 27, 2003, 09:17 PM

Was wondering how to add radio stations to iTunes...If it can be done, someone please inform me....but if it can't be done...then there should be a way to add more radio stations on the net to iTunes.

Other than that, its a great app as it is (ditto on the screen effect on multiple screen setups!)

PB17" and 16:9 17" Sony LCD 72W
"Think Different and Just Do It"

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 10:50 PM

What about incorporating LAME encoding right into the MP3 encoding engine?

Also, incorporate the features of PTHiTunesNotifier (iTunes controls in the menu bar).

I currently use PTHiTunesNotifier, and a LAME iTunes plug-in, which works superbly, so this would be a nice-to-have, not a must-have.

Membranophonist
Sep 28, 2003, 02:26 AM

Given that Apple has largely deprecated mp3 in favor of AAC, I don't see why they would work to replace the mp3 encoder.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2003, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by intastella:
-Ability to move songs to the trash in smart playlists and regular playlists. [/B]
Google for an AppleScript called "Whack Current Track."

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 11:26 AM

I'd like lots of things; many of these would enable more flexible and convenient operation on the iPod:

1) Ability to link adjacent songs on an album, so that they're treated like a single track (either by shuffling or by smart playlists)

2) Ability to mark certain tracks as "album-only", so that they would be ignored during either shuffle or smart playlist playback.

3) Nested playlists, for sure

4) Virtual albums: I'd like playlists (or some of them, anyway) to show up in the albums list. In some cases, the distinction between a playlist and an album is really arbitrary, and it would make browsing a lot easier on the iPod.

5) Virtual tracks, or aliases: A slight variation on #4. Sometimes I'll have a track duplicated on multiple albums. To save disk space, I'll delete it from all but one. I'd like to be able to put in aliases to the real track, so if I want to play an album it doesn't have a bunch of missing tracks in it. Can be solved with playlists, but I don't like having to have a playlist that just recreates an album.

6) "Filters": I'd like to be able to apply some of the smart playlist filtering features to another playlist. For instance, maybe I want to take a long playlist and only play those above a certain rating. This would be great on the iPod. Possible that a good nested playlist implementation would solve this, but if i couldn't create such things on the iPod on-the-go then it wouldn't help me.

7) As mentioned, ability to queue up the next track while the current one is playing would be very nice.

That's all I can think of for now....

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 02:01 PM

Auto resume. when I quit iTunes I and relaunch (restart etc), I want to be able to resume where I left off, either playing a playlist, or in the middle of an album etc.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 03:43 PM

One more thing I forgot to mention before:

8) Ability to mark tracks/albums/playlists as "do not sync to iPod". I want to auto-sync my iPod, but there are some things in my library I don't ever want to be loaded onto the iPod. It would be nice if I could mark them once and then forget about them.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 03:57 PM

Actually one thing I'd love to see (but don't expect to) is a more robust query system than what Smart Playlists allow. Being able to type in a complex query (as text) with lots of nesting and nots would be rather helpful in some cases.

You can do something similar with Applescript, of course. But if you use the "random" feature there is always the issue of when it gets refreshed. (i.e. you have to manually run the Applescript)

Regarding: whack current track. That's a great script. However realistically this ought to be intergrated into iTunes for the less savvy.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
Nested playlists is all I request. . .
In addition to that I would like to see nested genres. For instance, I would like an overall Jazz genre, with sub-genres for Swing, Bebop, Vocal Standards, etc.

OAW

ZackS  (op)
Banned
Sep 29, 2003, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by neilw:
One more thing I forgot to mention before:

8) Ability to mark tracks/albums/playlists as "do not sync to iPod". I want to auto-sync my iPod, but there are some things in my library I don't ever want to be loaded onto the iPod. It would be nice if I could mark them once and then forget about them.
Dude, that's what the checkboxes are for!

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
I would like to see nested genres. For instance, I would like an overall Jazz genre, with sub-genres for Swing, Bebop, Vocal Standards, etc.
That is an awesome idea. Right now I use genres like "Electronic/House," "Electronic/Techno," and "Electronic/Jungle" to do what you're talking about. That would make it a whole lot easier for labeling.

intastella
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 09:59 PM

"Google for an AppleScript called "Whack Current Track."

That's cool but it's a hack.

I don't want to have to play something to delete it. Doing more than a few songs at a time would take longer than just going to the Library and finding it.

Plus no keyboard shortcuts.

Aiglos
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 10:35 PM

-Ogg support
-LAME support
-When ripping a whole CD, have it automatically create a playlist and place the encoded files in the playlist. I know you can do this now but dragging all the song files on the playlist window and not an existing playlist is very tricky.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 10:48 PM

I just don't want to hear gaps between songs on my ipod. Especially albums like the wall, or yoshimi or the end of abbey road. It sort of ruins it.

It would be nice if they came up with a way to print out labels, and liner notes, though not really critical.

I would like to see an option for encoding ogg, though AAC is nice enough, I suppose.

iTunes is a great peice of software. I think you guys pretty much have the next version figured out. Lets hope, anyway.

SomeToast
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by Bohemia:
2. I'd like iTunes to have a "queue" function. You say "place in queue" and it plays right after the song that's currently playing, or after the last song in the queue. WinAmp has this feature.
I wrote something to do that with Konfabulator, Audion and an online database of available tracks. Not only does it work at home, but through a Shoutcast server, when streaming remotely as well.

I'd love to see iTunes (like SoundJam could do before) be able to act as a downsampling source for a streaming server (Shout/Icecast, Live365, etc).

Of course, considering the fiasco that was iTunes 4.0 playlist sharing, I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 03:03 AM

Originally posted by neilw:
1) Ability to link adjacent songs on an album, so that they're treated like a single track (either by shuffling or by smart playlists)
Well, I don't know if this is quite what you mean, but when you import a CD, there's an option to 'Join CD Tracks' together, so they get encoded and imported as one track (Useful for albums like Rush's 2112)

I like some of your other ideas though. Especially being able to queue up a track while playing.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Bohemia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by bmedina:
Google for an AppleScript called "Whack Current Track."

Oooor... Press Alt-delete... Works in all playlists. If you do it in the Library, it deletes puts the file in the trash without warning.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 02:54 PM

I'd like the printing thingy too.. For example, when you burn a cd, you could choose to print a cd cover (front and/or back) with the track names and artists on. Different styles/themes wold be nice.

3. Jukebox/party/drunk mode. Fullscreen. People choose songs, but they're placed in a queue. This shoud be really big, people should get this even when they're drunk hehe...
WRT the printing, Apple offer a free AppleScript that does just that.

I'd like the queue too.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 03:12 PM

Oooor... Press Alt-delete... Works in all playlists. If you do it in the Library, it deletes puts the file in the trash without warning.
I never knew that! Cool.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2003, 05:17 PM

iAudio would be great... wouldn't need to be an iApp though, could do AudioEdit or something... anyway, just a small app a lot like soundstudio that would sync with iTunes, let you edit your tracks then reencode them that sorta thing. Provide basic functions nothing huge.

An app like that with just an easy to use interface and able to pull off some cool things would get apple some great reviews if they hyped it a bit. Could even do something like Audio attachments to e-mails and stuff, send Audio messages though iChat for sending as soon as the person gets online... there are a lota things you could do to intigrate the iApps further.

kaz7777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2003, 10:59 AM

iTunes could really benefit from a playlist print out feature. I mean a big part of the idea is that you can make you own mix discs. So you need to be able to print covers for those discs right???

timmerk
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 04:53 AM

Apple needs to put back the karyoke feature that soundjam had. They have the code, just put it back in!

Zoom
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I think they should create another iApp called iAudio (or something) that is a simple audio editing Application. It doesn't need to be fancy (QuickTime would do most of the work).
I agree. I use Spark ME, but I'd love to have this built in to iTunes. Here's where I use it the most: lots of 70s rock albums blend together (Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Yes) and I like to have "singles" versions that can be shuffled. That is, I want to fade a track in and out, which usually bleeds across songs. I don't want to suddenly jump into or out of a song, it sounds horrible. I agree that there needs to be a waveform-based editor that allows various fades and crossfades, cut and paste, joining, splitting, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules