Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Loading OS X onto an iPod

Loading OS X onto an iPod
Tritton1982
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 03:59 AM

I have this handy little app called CarbonCopyCloner (from versiontracker.com) which allows you to 'clone' your system onto an external drive (in my case an ipod) then use it to boot up your computer as a separate startup disk.
Was wondering if anyone knew of any other ways to install an OS on an external drive such as an iPod - for example if you are operating 10.2 on your computer and you wanted to install os9 on your iPod how would you go about it? or alternatively you were running 10.2 on your comp and wanted to install 10.3 on the pod....is it possible???

Thanks.

Jim

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 4, 2003, 04:17 AM

Originally posted by Tritton1982:
I have this handy little app called CarbonCopyCloner (from versiontracker.com) which allows you to 'clone' your system onto an external drive (in my case an ipod) then use it to boot up your computer as a separate startup disk.
Was wondering if anyone knew of any other ways to install an OS on an external drive such as an iPod - for example if you are operating 10.2 on your computer and you wanted to install os9 on your iPod how would you go about it? or alternatively you were running 10.2 on your comp and wanted to install 10.3 on the pod....is it possible???

Thanks.

Jim
Have you tried selecting it as the installation disk when installing? I haven't but it seems like a good start. I believe installing OS X onto your iPod will void the warranty, FWIW.

Cipher13
Nov 4, 2003, 07:17 AM

Running an OS, especially one as RAM-heavy (scratch heavy) as OS X would tear the drive in the iPod to bits... the thing wasn't designed to dissipate constant heat, either.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2003, 07:50 AM

As the others have said, running an OS off the iPod is not at all a good idea�, but it is as simple a process as having the external firewire drive plugged in during the install process and then selecting it as the installation disk. I'm currently running this iMac from an external FW hard drive having followed that very procedure (with Jaguar).

However, note that Panther has had some issues with some FireWire drives... be sure that if you do go for an installation on an external that you are fully backed up and, if necessary, willing to wipe the drive afterwards if things go wrong.

tabarnak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 12:26 PM

is it possible to use my ipod instead of .mac to use sync my home folder between 2 macs?

ryju
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2003, 12:40 PM

Loading OS X or any OS on an ipod does not void its warranty. That's the same as saying putting OS X on any drive would void it.

Mine had problems because of it, I took it off the ipod and checked the apple store, still on warranty.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by tabarnak:
is it possible to use my ipod instead of .mac to use sync my home folder between 2 macs?
Yes but you need to have .Mac and Backup 2 Public Beta
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 02:50 PM

I have used CCC to back up my drive when I installed Panther. I have booted from it, but only briefly, to make sure everything was present. It worked great. I wouldn't use it as an everyday startup disk though.

I'm sure, if you have your ipod connected in firewire mode, that you could select it during the installation process, just like any other drive. Again, I wouldn't recommend it for a primary system disk. As a back up, it will work fine.

-b

tabarnak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
Yes but you need to have .Mac and Backup 2 Public Beta
that's pretty stupid then. it's a .mac feature, not a panther one. and it makes more sense to sync hundrends of megabytes to iPod than on the internet...

so, is there a 3rd party utility that can do this?

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 03:07 PM

I want to put windows 3.11 on my iPod and play Doom 2. Thanks in advance.

idkfa

brachiator
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
I want to put windows 3.11 on my iPod and play Doom 2. Thanks in advance.
No problem... Just remember to push the "Turbo" switch to overclock the processor to 16mhz... (damn, shows my age! )...

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by ryju:
Loading OS X or any OS on an ipod does not void its warranty. That's the same as saying putting OS X on any drive would void it.

Mine had problems because of it, I took it off the ipod and checked the apple store, still on warranty.
Yes, it does. The iPod's hard drive is not meant to withstand such heavy use, and the casing is not designed to handle the amount of heat that would be produced. If Apple finds evidence of an iPod being used as a boot disk, your warranty is null and void. You got lucky.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2003, 04:39 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Yes, it does. The iPod's hard drive is not meant to withstand such heavy use, and the casing is not designed to handle the amount of heat that would be produced. If Apple finds evidence of an iPod being used as a boot disk, your warranty is null and void. You got lucky.
Wataru is right - the same thing was reported by multiple sources when the first generation iPod debuted. iPod HDs are meant for data storage primarily; running them constantly isn't a good idea.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Wataru is right - the same thing was reported by multiple sources when the first generation iPod debuted. iPod HDs are meant for data storage primarily; running them constantly isn't a good idea.
'

don't the iPod's use laptop harddrives?

I should probably shut off my iBook before it fries.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
'

don't the iPod's use laptop harddrives?

I should probably shut off my iBook before it fries.
The ipod uses a specially designed 1.8" HD, very low RPM, very slow random data access performance. Notebook HDs are 2.5" with much higher data through-put.

Booting to the 1.8" HD on the iPod will kill it pretty quickly... probably after only 3-4 boots.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
The ipod uses a specially designed 1.8" HD, very low RPM, very slow random data access performance. Notebook HDs are 2.5" with much higher data through-put.

Booting to the 1.8" HD on the iPod will kill it pretty quickly... probably after only 3-4 boots.
Finally someone gives a good reason rather then saying opaque responses =).

Forum Links
Forum Rules