Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't restart says no bootable device

Can't restart says no bootable device
kevs
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2009, 08:14 PM

I have copy of windows and it was acting funny, so tried to re-install it without luck. had to do several force quits etc. Anyway, everything went back to normal, but today, I can't restart into Mac normally. I get a black screen that says no bootable device, insert boot disc and press any key.
I put in the Mac OS install disc and press a key but it does not help.
I booted into the disc OS, repaired disc Mac HD (did not need a replair) restarted and still get the black window, "no bootable device"
Have no idea what to do thanks.

Cold Warrior
Dec 25, 2009, 08:40 PM

Is your windows disc service pack 2 or higher? This member got into trouble using sp1.
http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternat...osx-partition/

jeff k
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2009, 09:34 PM

thanks Cold, I did force start holding option and my Mac HD is fine, everything seems ok, couple questions:

1) That black screen with: "can't find bootable disc"
was that a Mac screen or windows thing?

2) I have a perfect clone on an external, how come that bootable OS would not even come up? Does the computer "see" the HD clone external in these types of situations?

3) I was able to post this on my lapop in the other room. But curious, if my primary computer, the imac, which is plugged into the router, how did the laptop work just fine -- internet etc? if the imac was having a meltdown?

Forum Links
Forum Rules