Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > eye tv 2.3 is utterly amazing !!

eye tv 2.3 is utterly amazing !!
eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jul 26, 2006, 12:13 PM

now you can use your white apple remote to control everything

and i mean - everything

scheduling , recording , the lot

really impressive , maybe apple should buy elgato ??

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...updates_eyetv2

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 07:22 AM

That has been the #1 request by customers.

Amazing.

That clinches my decision to get the Cinergy XS.

I'll need a MacBook to go with it...

siMac
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2006, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by eddiecatflap
really impressive , maybe apple should buy elgato ??
Yeah, we need to put an end to all this competition putting out amazing software.

Maybe MicroSoft could buy iView too...oh wait....

And Elgato, if you're listening, WE WANT OUR DIVX EXPORT BACK!!!
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by siMac
Whatever for?

siMac
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2006, 10:38 AM

I have a KiSS networked DivX player that plays the films from my computer on my TV via WiFi. At about 1GB per 30 minutes the uncompressed MPEG2 streams that EyeTV records are a bit heavy for wireless streaming, not to mention archiving.

DivX is the best solution for me for streaming and storing my recordings, and EyeTV used to be able to export it. Since version 2 it's stopped working, it just gives an error about DivX 6.0.5 being incompatible (even though the current codec is 6.5).

For the time being I have to export to Quicktime then re-encode to DivX, it'd just be simpler if I could have the EyeTV direct to DivX export option back again.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 11:06 AM

The player does ONLY DivX?

ecch.

siMac
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2006, 01:27 PM

It does some other codecs too, namely XviD, but DivX is faster and easier to configure.

Anyway, stop ragging on my player, it's nearly two years old!

The point is that DivX is a very common format that we used to be able to export directly to, but is now broken. I would like to see more effort at fixing this and less effort at emulating Front Row is all.

Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2006, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by siMac
The 'read me' says it has, tho' I haven't tried it yet.

Bug Fixes

Several crashes while exporting have been fixed.

A crash while scrubbing in the EyeTV Editor has been fixed.

EyeTV is now compatible with the DivX 6.5 codec.
What I am waiting for is HDTV support. I can tune in to the channel and hear the sound, but no picture.

K.

eddiecatflap  (op)
Baninated
Jul 30, 2006, 04:14 PM

i can record hdtv , and play it back , but not live

to be honest , i couldn't see much difference between it and standard tv

siMac
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2006, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Knightrider
The 'read me' says it has, tho' I haven't tried it yet.
So it does, my bad - will test it out this evening. Elgato, if you're listening, THANKS FOR BRINGING DIVX EXPORT BACK!!!

kat81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 05:44 PM

Just FYI: I've been in contact with the nice customer care dude at EyeTV. I upgraded to 2.3, then got pissed as hell when my Apple Remote no longer control the system sound, but rather the EyeTV sound (which I find useless/pointless). He helped me downgrade back to 2.2.1 because that seriously was annoying me.
And now I'm in contact with him and telling him I'm having export issues with 2.2.1, and he says I need 2.3 to resolve them, I remind him of my little issue, and have suggested they implement some sort of prefs for the Apple Remote + EyeTV so you have SOME say in how much the remote does.
There should be a new update to 2.3 soon. I'm going to update again when that comes out, and hack the thing to somehow disable the sound controls with the Apple Remote in EyeTV. IF I can do that, I will be a happy gal!

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by kat81
Just FYI: I've been in contact with the nice customer care dude at EyeTV. I upgraded to 2.3, then got pissed as hell when my Apple Remote no longer control the system sound, but rather the EyeTV sound (which I find useless/pointless). He helped me downgrade back to 2.2.1 because that seriously was annoying me.
And now I'm in contact with him and telling him I'm having export issues with 2.2.1, and he says I need 2.3 to resolve them, I remind him of my little issue, and have suggested they implement some sort of prefs for the Apple Remote + EyeTV so you have SOME say in how much the remote does.
There should be a new update to 2.3 soon. I'm going to update again when that comes out, and hack the thing to somehow disable the sound controls with the Apple Remote in EyeTV. IF I can do that, I will be a happy gal!
I have the same problem with the volume. My mac Mini is my AV System and the TV volume is always ending up too low if I have been listening to music etc before hand BUT the only way to turn it up is to haul out my BT keyboard since the remote works the EyeTV volume when the TV is on. v annoying. I have also reported it...
David.

rocky raccoon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2006, 07:55 AM

can you record any of the programmes you record on to dvd? and if so what format is it?

also can you record digital radio? i would quite like to programme it to record jo whileys live lounge...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2006, 04:09 PM

It interfaces directly with Toast (if you have it) and all the formats Toast burns.

DVD format is always DVD format (i.e. MPEG-2).

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2006, 06:52 PM

Switching channels with the Apple remote is somewhat cumbersome though, you have to go in to the 'menu' (losing the picture in the process) then select the channel. The remote options seam to be set up mainly for playback from a recording not watching live TV. An option to use the 'forward' and 'back' buttons to change the channel would be a sensible preference, or it could do it automatically when you are in 'live TV' mode.

I am also going to moan about it's 'widescreen' options. Even though I have a 16/9 screen on my iMac programmes broadcast in 16/9 usually end up squashed in the centre of the screen with a black border ALL the way round with the correct proportions though, (ie. a ball will look round). if I choose the 16/9 option in the prefs it stretches it out sideways and outwards, however there are major problems, 1 There are still borders at the top and bottom. 2 the picture is distorted making everything short and fat (i.e. balls become oval) 3. Quite a bit of the picture at the top and bottom gets cut off, captions etc will end up with the lower half missing.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Aug 12, 2006 at 07:02 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2006, 08:28 AM

If you have black borders around the entire picture, then the broadcast is NOT in 16:9.

When the material for a show/film necessitates mixing older 4:3 footage and 16:9 footage, broadcasters will cut/edit/broadcast the entire thing in 4:3.

HUGE amounts of archive material are 4:3 with black borders that would need complete re-scanning from the original film into the higher-resolution 16:9 in order to not look like complete crap.

ha_dkny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 11:27 PM

thanks , eddiecatflap

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2006, 10:23 AM

Am I right in assuming that the Apple Remote functionality of EyeTV 2 works with any of Elgato's tv tuners?

I was looking at buying the "Elgato EyeTV for DTT Stick" as this functionality is specifically mentioned on the page at the Apple Store website. However, reviews say that this product is far less reliable than the "Miglia TVmini with EyeTV 2.0 - DTT" and so I was wanting to get that one instead.

Obviously it comes with its own remote control, but I would much rather use the one that came with my MacBook.

Also, as of 2.3.1, does the Apple Remote behave like this; up and down change the volume, left and right change the channel?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Marclev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 02:14 PM

I have the TVmini with Eyetv 2.3.1 and the Apple remote works fine. It's actually more responsive than the bundled one for some reason!

On the Apple remote, up/down is volume, left/right is timeshift back/forward if you tap, otherwise fast forward/rewind if you hold the buttons down. "Play" is pause/play or select (when in menu) Channel hopping on the Apple remote is trivial - you hold down "menu" (if you tap "menu", it switches to FrontRow!), then use left and right to select a channel from the full screen menu.

Forum Links
Forum Rules