Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > A mundane question amid the DL2 - Leopard hubbub

A mundane question amid the DL2 - Leopard hubbub
bpnkrtn
Oct 22, 2007, 02:27 PM

When I have my books in list view, I can select the column headings that display. Is there any way to add a column name or edit an existing one? Thanks ... bruce

ajmas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2007, 02:38 PM

Try context-clicking (right mouse button or ctrl-click) on the heading and you should get a pop-up menu. The names are non-modifiable, since they correspond to the field names, but you can add and remove them from the available list.

bpnkrtn  (op)
Oct 23, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ajmas View Post
Try context-clicking (right mouse button or ctrl-click) on the heading and you should get a pop-up menu. The names are non-modifiable, since they correspond to the field names, but you can add and remove them from the available list.
Yep ... but it's just the standard menu. No place to add a heading or edit an existing heading. But thanks.

ajmas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2007, 03:14 PM

What sort of heading would you want to add? I am not sure I understand the usage requirements.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2007, 01:35 AM

Clicking the "hammer and wrench" button in the upper right of the table will also let you add columns.

bpnkrtn  (op)
Oct 25, 2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Delicious Monster View Post
Clicking the "hammer and wrench" button in the upper right of the table will also let you add columns.
Yes ... I'm with you there. But can I add another "new"column heading? or edit an existing column heading? I must not have asked my question well. Actually, on reading your post again ... you say the hammer & wrench button will ALSO let you add columns ... what is the other way if this is in addition to?

thanks

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2007, 12:04 PM

That is to say, clicking the hammer & wrench does the same thing pulling up the contextual menu does.

It sounds like what you want is to add a new field, not add a column for an existing field. We've added a lot of new fields to Delicious Library 2, but in general, adding a field is not something you can do. Instead, we give you notes, wherein you can record anything you like, sort of like tags.

That said, if you have a particular field in mind, let me know. You'd be surprised how many times people want something that's already there, or easily faked.

bpnkrtn  (op)
Oct 25, 2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Delicious Monster View Post
That is to say, clicking the hammer & wrench does the same thing pulling up the contextual menu does.

It sounds like what you want is to add a new field, not add a column for an existing field. We've added a lot of new fields to Delicious Library 2, but in general, adding a field is not something you can do. Instead, we give you notes, wherein you can record anything you like, sort of like tags.

That said, if you have a particular field in mind, let me know. You'd be surprised how many times people want something that's already there, or easily faked.
Ah yes, that communication thing ... I was referring to a field ... and calling it a column

I am now officially waiting for DL2! Thanks for the patience with me.

bruce

Forum Links
Forum Rules