Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > An Open Letter To The Staff At Delicious Monster

An Open Letter To The Staff At Delicious Monster
Feynman
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2008, 12:45 PM

Good morning, and good day, to anyone over at Delicious Monster that happens to read this.

As you can see, we here in the forms are getting anxious for the release of Delicious Library 2. With the updates from you every few weeks, noting that, “it will be released after this” or “after that”. We are starting to question the true development of the software.

We are some of your core users. While we are not the majority that brought in your fast fortune and fame as a new software company, we are a voice.

As we read about delay after delay we get more and more discouraged to upgrade, and are even starting to look at other alternatives as we are seeing that the updates to DL2 are in fact minor in comparison to what is currently offered by other developers, excepted for the “eye-candy” like effects that are not exactly important to most.

Anyway, rather than rambling on in our disappointment, I think I speak for many others on this form, what I am asking for is this:

Could you please, give us an up to date status of the current development of the code, minus any “cute” sarcastic antidotes. Could you please give us the details on what type of bugs still exist and what stage of development you are in (alpha, beta, etc). Most importantly, could you please give us a realistic (again, no “cute” sarcastic antidotes) timeframe of when this will be out?

Again, I think I speak for many here, if we do not hear some truth on what’s going on behind the scenes, we will start looking else where and we will not be recommending this application any further and reputation could be at risk.

Please note, I am not writing this letter in anger but rather frustration. Please renew the fate!
( Last edited by Feynman; Jan 29, 2008 at 01:41 PM. )

anyrandomthing
Jan 29, 2008, 02:53 PM

stop calling forums forms. I'm just as disappointed as you are about this, but regardless we know the beta aint coming for about two weeks. there's not much that can be done about that.

It'd be cool if there were a change log or bug tracker online, but face it: this isn't open source or freeware. While I too would be interested to know if there's a major bug or group of bugs thats hindering development, or rather just a swarm of minor quirks, we're not gonna know.

I think you're right that some people are turning to alternatives like dvdpedia, and I guess they know that DM probably isn't happy about it. I, too, have considered it. While I like wil and mike, i don't feel any maternal connection to them -- i'd leave them if there were something that satisfied me better. DVDpedia has a ton of features library doesnt have, and wont have. extensive stats, wishlist, etc. But i thought the interface was microsoft-esque, and I can't deal with that. I'm a graphic designer, and DL just does it for me. Because I'm an anal-retentive categorizing fool, and things need to look juuuuust right. maybe they could give us habitual complainin' bastards a beta ticket, because, really, that would shut us up in an instant.

Feynman  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2008, 03:18 PM

I work with forms at work all day long, force of habit.

So basically you are pushing my thread down and then summing up exactly what I said and agreeing with it.

I stand with my original request, for Wil or Mike to give us an open, unsweetened update on where we stand with the development of this software.

While I realize they don't have an open beta tracking system, they were the ones to have this forum (happy? ) on MacNN's boards to begin with. If they did not want to have a means to have open communication with us, then they never should have opened this up to begin with and kept DL2 in the labs until it was released.

anyrandomthing
Jan 29, 2008, 03:43 PM

I don't intend on bumping your thread, I just mean to say that the nature of a proprietary-based-code project means it's unlikely they divulge too much information (as cool as it would be).

And just because they have a forum doesn't mean they're going to let EVERYTHING be known. I for example, have had forums I hosted in the past, but that doesn't mean I'm going let out my deep dark secrets about that time when I was 13 and had sex with my teacher. oh, ****. nevermind then.

Feynman  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2008, 04:15 PM

All I am asking for is what others have been expressing as frustrations, the lack of communication on the true status of DL2, what type of bugs (not asking for details) and what stage of development their in since the story they give us seems to change every few weeks.

I'm not asking for a lot in order to remain faithful to the product, and I'm sure if everyone else knew as well, they may be inclined to wait...just a little longer...

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2008, 07:50 PM

Agreed with everything you said, except that it's "anecdotes" not "antidotes", though DM is poisoning us with misinformation so I would enjoy an antidote. Also "faith", not "fate." Consider reading through what you've typed before submitting an open letter.

And to DM:
I don't care how many "updates" you've given us for free. When you're fixing problems in your program it should be free.

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2008, 01:18 AM

An important thing about the "free" updates. Two of the major "free" updates Wil likes to mention are the built-in iSight update and the internationalization update.

However, an this is very important, those DID NOT delay DL2. Those were not DL1 freebie updates that somehow cut into DL2 development time. The iSight code was absolutely necessary for DL2. That code is portable and relevant to both versions. The actual time to put it into both versions is minimal.

The same can be said of the internationalization update. It's necessary for both versions, to be able to use international data sources. The work put into that applies to both versions.

It's just an excuse Wil likes to throw out there because they are woefully falling behind their release schedule. It's called a Gantt chart, DM. Learn it.

Feynman  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by MikeShayne View Post
Agreed with everything you said, except that it's "anecdotes" not "antidotes", though DM is poisoning us with misinformation so I would enjoy an antidote. Also "faith", not "fate." Consider reading through what you've typed before submitting an open letter.
This is how these topics get off subject.

To quote dictionary.com:

A remedy or other agent used to neutralize or counteract the effects of a poison.
I used the word "antidote" as means of being creative. They are always very sarcastic with us, and I believe this sarcasm is a way to hide an issue with the software they do not want to address.

I'll give you the "fate" one, it should have been faith.

In a means to remain on subject, should you have anything else to question about my writing skills, please send me a Private Message (I am not taking offense, would just like to keep matters on topic).

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jan 30, 2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
To quote dictionary.com:

I used the word "antidote" as means of being creative. They are always very sarcastic with us, and I believe this sarcasm is a way to hide an issue with the software they do not want to address.
Sarcastic poison remedies...aaahhhh I get it. Very creative.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2008, 05:17 PM

Hey all. Sorry for neglecting you over here in forum-land.

To answer your question, there's one BIg Bug and a whole bunch of uninteresting little ones. The Big Bug is the details panel. We have had a raging debate on the form it should take, with major disagreements from myself, Mike Matas, Wil, and Apple. Apple eventually sided with me, but Wil sided with Matas. Such is as it is.

The uninteresting bugs are just that. These are things like, clicking on this button doesn't do what I expect it to do in a certain situation or so-and-so is missing from this menu, or whatever.

We have some issues with the import interface. Wil wants a wizard to sit on top of the importer, so that's going to take a lot of research and some implementation. I can probably pass the research to the intern, but implementation won't be nothing.

According to FogBugz we'll be in beta on February 14. You are welcome to believe that or not. I've given sincere updates on when I thought we would be coming out and I've been wrong every time. Sorry about that.

Everyone who's used DL2 has been pretty impressed with it, so I think it will be worth the wait. Your mileage may vary.

anyrandomthing
Jan 30, 2008, 05:39 PM

SHOW THAT MF'in BUG WHO'S BOSS.

I think i've mentioned it in the past -- and i dont know if this has anything to do with the details pane bug -- but i think the pane itself should be unobtrusive and elegant (fading/scrolling/melting/flaming/orgasming in and out). so whoever thinks that is right, because i think that.

P: anyrandomthing is always right.
P: anyrandomthing thinks the pane should be unobtrusive and elegant
C: Therefore, an unobtrusive and elegant pane is the way to go.

illitrate
Jan 31, 2008, 03:40 PM

oh i dunno about you lot, but i miss the so-called ""cute" sarcastic antidotes" or even the anecdotes

Forum Links
Forum Rules