Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Exclusive Preview of DL2; available in March

Exclusive Preview of DL2; available in March
Galley99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2008, 11:00 AM

Apple Insider has an exclusive preview of Delicious LIbrary 2. It should be available sometime in March.

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2008, 05:25 PM

I don't really understand the It says March. It doesn't say 2008.
( Last edited by MikeShayne; Mar 3, 2008 at 05:31 PM. )

Feynman
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by MikeShayne View Post
I think he was trying to be optimistic

64stang06
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2008, 10:10 PM

Yep. 28 days and counting if it is indeed 2008.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2008, 02:23 AM

Too bad they gave an exclusive preview of a book-organizing program to someone who doesn't own any books. (Okay, they had five.) The biggest weaknesses in DL1, for me, were poor book sorting and organizing, and those don't appear to have been fixed for DL2.

Also, it looks lame with the info pane on the bottom. Like most Mac users, I have a wide-format screen and prefer vertical panes.
( Last edited by CaptainHaddock; Mar 4, 2008 at 10:30 AM. )

Morbus Iff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2008, 08:33 AM

CaptainHaddock: yes, that bugs the crap outta me too. I've commented to them about it vehemently. It just doesn't work. In DL 1, it was on the right hand side, great. In early previews, it became a popup-like balloon thingy. Workable. But this bottom pane is nearly useless.

MDNZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2008, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Too bad they gave an exclusive preview of a book-organizing program to someone who doesn't own any books. (Okay, they had five.)
Looks like it is using the default sample/test database from the beta.

Also, it looks lame with the info pane on the bottom. Like most Mac users, I have a wide-format screen and prefer vertical panes.
Agree it would be great to have this as an preference. I am not sure if it is this way in alignment to the revised Apple Human Interface Guidelines.

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2008, 08:38 PM

I look at this preview and I really don't see anything worth the time it has taken. Of course all I've ever wanted from the damn thing is a way to convert it to HTML so I can put my stuff online for all to see, and those other 3rd party programs never worked when I tried.

MDNZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2008, 01:24 AM

Of course all I've ever wanted from the damn thing is a way to convert it to HTML so I can put my stuff online for all to see, and those other 3rd party programs never worked when I tried.
From the details in preview, you will have your expectations met... via .Mac, a folder on your mac or to an FTP server.

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2008, 01:53 PM

That really doesn't meet my expectations at all. I want a site like dvdspot, not to pay for a .mac subscription or having it available as a file.

MDNZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2008, 02:52 PM

Mike, sound like expectations are growing, DVDSpot?
Does DVDSpot have webservices or API? Write a plug in.

Actually you do not need a .Mac subscription. You can output to the FTP site of your own webserver or hosted space, or you can output to a folder on desktop.

anyrandomthing
Mar 6, 2008, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by MDNZ View Post
Agree it would be great to have this as an preference. I am not sure if it is this way in alignment to the revised Apple Human Interface Guidelines.
yeah, not a fan of vertical panes either.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 09:24 AM

One thing I have wondered is regarding the effect when you delete an item from your library. When theocacao.com gave a preview they said that items shattered when you deleted them, then one of the staff members gave a demo to TUAW and items burned when deleted, and in this preview they're back to shattering.

All in all, I think this will be a nice upgrade.

MDNZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2008, 02:19 PM

Maybe it depends on the type of item being deleted?

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2008, 03:28 PM

I hear you have to turn "Fascist Mode" on to get the book burning feature.

agentsarah6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Yes, I vomited a little into my mouth when I saw that. That's usually the reaction I reserve for poor quality printing done by amateurs.

I also admire the time they spent creating a HUGE DMBeta logo (see page 1). Quite sad *shakes head*.

And I've realised it's March...And they're still touting v1.6.6 as "New!" on the official site as of the 7th...Let's see what happens during the rest of the month.

Forum Links
Forum Rules