Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Safari Javascript and focus()

Safari Javascript and focus()
sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2006, 04:17 PM

Alright in Firefox when I use focus() on a textarea the caret moves right to the end of the text, however in safari it stays put.
On further testing it seems Safari doesn't even focus on the textarea at all, anyone got any ideas why this may be?

Thanks in advance

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2006, 06:13 AM

ok found out that safari doesn't seem to set the focus if you select the element via setting it to a variable using getElementById, forms[0].elementname however works but the caret still stays in the last position in the text area.
Anyone know how to move it to the end?

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2006, 07:21 AM

Yeah, Safari will put the carat back to where it was when the text area lost its focus.

Something like:

Code:
function focusToEnd() { var to_focus = document.getElementById("id_of_textarea"); var to_collapse_to = to_focus.value.length; to_focus.focus(); to_focus.setSelectionRange(to_collapse_to, to_collapse_to); }
should work.

I should also note that calling focus() on the element referenced using getElementById worked fine for me... which version of safari are you using?
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

sushiism  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2006, 10:18 AM

I'm using safari 2.0.3, cheers I thought something to do with selections might sort it out and I'll double check my getElementById method again to see if it was just a small inconsistency caused by caches

Forum Links
Forum Rules