Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > To everyone who has ever created a theme...

To everyone who has ever created a theme...
mac15
Senior User
Feb 11, 2004, 08:09 PM

G'day, for those who don't know I'm Chris from xthemes.net

I have a few questions for you all and using this is alot easier than emailing everyone.

First, you might know xthemes offers theme hosting. But me and Brien have been wondering which was you prefered to upload your themes. Would you like us xthemes to upload themes? you yourself upload themes or have the option to do both. We'd like to get all Mac OS X themes in our archive so there is a central place to come and download themes. Some have been really supportive of it and uploaded their themes while others have perfered not to upload em.

Please if you have any thoughts or why you don't like to use xthemes, please reply and let us know.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 09:56 PM

I'll be uploading them once I have some done.
click one

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2004, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by mac15:
Would you like us xthemes to upload themes? you yourself upload themes or have the option to do both.
the option is always good .
DigitalRamen sucks.

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2004, 11:53 PM

For me, it is ideal if you guys would just hotlink my theme files and preview images directly from my site (exactly as you did with FatalE) because I am on a very rural 28.8kbps dial-up connection.

So... what I'm saying is I don't mind you guys posting my stuff when it comes available w/o my permission, obviously with credit and a link to my site as you are doing now. I certainly don't speak for everyone, but I don't see any problem with this method.

Thanks
//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 11, 2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:
For me, it is ideal if you guys would just hotlink my theme files and preview images directly from my site (exactly as you did with FatalE) because I am on a very rural 28.8kbps dial-up connection.

So... what I'm saying is I don't mind you guys posting my stuff when it comes available w/o my permission, obviously with credit and a link to my site as you are doing now. I certainly don't speak for everyone, but I don't see any problem with this method.

Thanks
//Carbon
Ditto.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2004, 12:01 AM

I want to upload my theme updates at will!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mac15  (op)
Senior User
Feb 12, 2004, 12:05 AM

Understood, we'll that sounds only fair. I know it would become a problem when themes are updated. You'd have to upload them everywhere.

The thing with hotlinking them (this has been discussed before) for people like Swiz/Max who update their themes on a regular basis would name their theme files say Eylo.dmg instead of Eylo1.1.dmg to stop dead links.

I'll talk to the guys , not unless they read this first.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 03:12 AM

I like carbon's idea..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 03:19 AM

what about updating descriptions/preview images? an online control panel of sorts would be pretty nifty. granted that's a lot more work... but there's no denying the niftiness
DigitalRamen sucks.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 05:54 AM

I'm the one that is coding the xthemes site. If you register you CAN update the descriptions previews and links as you wish actually. User voting is done now as well, I'll add that in place once the new format is ready to go. If you have anyother ideas please post away.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 06:34 AM

:: sheepish grin ::

ah... well... hrm...

i think i'll go stop making an ass of myself and just go register now... *cough* =-)
DigitalRamen sucks.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by mac15:
The thing with hotlinking them (this has been discussed before) for people like Swiz/Max who update their themes on a regular basis would name their theme files say Eylo.dmg instead of Eylo1.1.dmg to stop dead links.

I'll talk to the guys , not unless they read this first.
This is something I'd appreciate for macthemes.net as well, because atm we have to update download links in reviews with every new theme version.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

mac15  (op)
Senior User
Feb 12, 2004, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by exca1ibur:
I'm the one that is coding the xthemes site. If you register you CAN update the descriptions previews and links as you wish actually. User voting is done now as well, I'll add that in place once the new format is ready to go. If you have anyother ideas please post away.
We need to talk, I have alot of ideas

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2004, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by exca1ibur:
I'm the one that is coding the xthemes site. If you register you CAN update the descriptions previews and links as you wish actually.
Yeah, like kevin is saying, you can edit your themes with new links/preview/discriptions, etc when they are updated. And as for my themes, of course they'll be on the site, that's pretty much a givem.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Ditto.
I am going to take this as a yes... so I will upload your themes today or tomorrow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules