Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Imagine this in Paris

Imagine this in Paris
csoledad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 12:12 PM

Keynote focuses on Mac OS X 10.3. Rehash of the developer conference with a few new features revealed including some features for enterprise users.

Fast forward to "one more thing":

Steve announces updated 12" AL powerbooks. Same old architecture just faster.

Steve announce 15" AL powerbooks brings them up to par with the rest of the line.

Then for the big surprise:

Steve announces the powerbook G5: only available at 17" and 1.6 GHz.

It will be an early premature version based on Apple's reactions to Motorola's screwups. The entire line will not be available as G5 until the 90nm chips are available but the 17" enclsure is large enough that they can coble enough cooling for now.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 9, 2003, 12:22 PM

Oh yeah! And the battery live drops down to 5 minutes and Apple is sued because the new 17`s burn holes through peoples thighs.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by csoledad:
Keynote focuses on Mac OS X 10.3. Rehash of the developer conference with a few new features revealed including some features for enterprise users.

Fast forward to "one more thing":

Steve announces updated 12" AL powerbooks. Same old architecture just faster.

Steve announce 15" AL powerbooks brings them up to par with the rest of the line.

It will be an early premature version based on Apple's reactions to Motorola's screwups. The entire line will not be available as G5 until the 90nm chips are available but the 17" enclsure is large enough that they can coble enough cooling for now.
I can see the 12" and 15" happening of what you're saying, but as for the 17", there no way possible can the current G5 be used in with the 17" It does NOT have enough cooling to cool the G5, just look at the Power Macs, They have fans from front to back just to cool that sucker. Running at 1.6 GHz? yup, that'll sure burn a hole through people's pants and start BBQing their legs.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 01:54 PM

as they've said...i doubt it could happen...ontop of that...it was announced awhile back that don't expect to see G5s in PBs for awhile because its just impossible at this stage.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2003, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
as they've said...i doubt it could happen...ontop of that...it was announced awhile back that don't expect to see G5s in PBs for awhile because its just impossible at this stage.
Not impossible, impractical. They would have to start building chips with lower clock speeds to compensate for the heat (as 1.2gHz G5s give off less heat than 1.0 gHz G4s). Oh, and Apple said all this BEFORE Motorola screwed up again...Apple may be hurrying to bring G5s to the PowerBook even more quickly than before! Now...I doubt the scenario above is feasible, but expect to see G5s sooner than you previously did.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 03:53 PM

I absolutely expect G5 chips for powerbooks.

*ducking stuff being thrown at me*

reasons: There is just no way Steve Jobs will have called this the year of the notebook, and have waited all spring, all summer..and then come to the fall and annouce minor g4 speed upgrades which should have been done earlier. There just no way on earth there will be just a minor speed increase.

I think there have been big technical problems delaying the G5 into powerbooks, but it is destiny.

Now I know that Apple publicly announced the Powerbooks would stay G4, and that repeatedly gets stated, but that was very necessary on a marketing standpoint or else Apple would have never sold any G4 powerbooks all summer while we await the G5 powerbook.

I expect the 12" model to be changed significantly..and no longer be basically an aluminized ibook with a DVD burner. I am hopeful it will have a slightly smaller screen so that it will be even more portable.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 03:54 PM

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2003, 03:56 PM

i side with the poster above in absolutely believing g5 powerbooks will come soon.

Why? 2 reasons.

1. When the g4 came out, shortly thereafter the g4 powerbook came out.. everyone was saying stuff like "oh I'll keep my pismo, that's never going to happen! a g4 powerbook?! haha no way!" exactly like you g4 wielding morons are doing now.

2. The g5 doesn't really get THAT hot, the powerMAC was designed to run silent.

3. you can fit a nice cooling system in a laptop

4. a 1.25ghz G5 will produce less heat then a 2.4ghz desktop p4 (I guarantee it).

5. It's cheaper then putting a g4 in that sucka.

Need i keep going on and on? if PC companies can do it then I'm sure apple can.
Aloha

MacsGalor
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:

I expect the 12" model to be changed significantly..and no longer be basically an aluminized ibook with a DVD burner. I am hopeful it will have a slightly smaller screen so that it will be even more portable.
How can you compare a 900Mhz G3 to a 867Mhz G4? Granted the iBook may have a few Mhz over the 12" PB but the iBook is a G3 they are alo slower. The PB beats out the iBook is several other areas as well. I think that if a new 12" is announced, it will only be minor changes like speed and RAM capacity.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by MacsGalor:
How can you compare a 900Mhz G3 to a 867Mhz G4? Granted the iBook may have a few Mhz over the 12" PB but the iBook is a G3 they are alo slower. The PB beats out the iBook is several other areas as well. I think that if a new 12" is announced, it will only be minor changes like speed and RAM capacity.
Well I've not compared a 900 mhz ibook to the slower 12" powerbook.. I have an older 12" white ibook with only a 500 mhz g3 chip in it.
I have compared it to the 12" powerbook as the two just feel very similar to me in terms of size, etc and how they handle Jaguar. The screens are absolutely identical.

I had picked up the 12" g4 powerbook with a DVD burner 2 months ago for work reasons using it basically as a master control on a slide scanner. Once that work project was over I had intended to use it myself as my main travel mac. However quite honestly I was less than thrilled with its performance. I get that multi spinning ball all the time with it and it is just very sluggish going back & forth between programs, similar to the 2 year old ibook.

It only has the minimum 256 megs of ram so I know that is a main reason for this. But still, I was expecting much more.

My brother is going to take the powerbook and increase the ram on it so it should be better with more ram I hope.

I'M NOT SAYING the 12" powerbook is a bad computer..its very nice. Just the ibook is fantastic. I absolutely love my white ibook and just don't feel compelled to replace it yet, and will wait on a smaller powerbook with a G5.
( Last edited by NYCFarmboy; Sep 9, 2003 at 04:35 PM. )

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2003, 04:52 PM

This would be horrible. The 17" is a freak. Keep the 15" on par with the 17" in every aspect except the display size.

Not everyone wants a 17" screen on a laptop, and to cripple the 15" to get people to spend more money on something they don't want is criminal.
( Last edited by jhunt5247; Sep 9, 2003 at 04:57 PM. )

Marchangel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 08:59 PM

I want to have a 13" widescreen - small, full keyboard, and editing/watching movies would be much better. And I want to have DVI to connect to a Cinema Display.

If Apple keeps the small Powerbook as it is only with a little bit more RAM and some hard to realise speedbump I sure will switch to Sonys TR1. A really fantastic but expensive toy. Hm, Windows XP *cough*.

Cuuudeles
MarchAngel

vsurfer
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 09:24 PM

IMHO the 15 inch is the lynchpin machine and will get the G5 first.

It's the one macine that's got a big enough screen to be comfortably viable as a graphics and multitasking tool, yet still just small enough to be acceptably 'portable' -- well, portable in the NYC subway system's pillars of steel powerbook-bashing doom sense of portable.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 10:09 PM

NO G5 IN LAPTOPS ANYTIME SOON!!!! Source; Apple Computer
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Link:
1. When the g4 came out, shortly thereafter the g4 powerbook came out.. everyone was saying stuff like "oh I'll keep my pismo, that's never going to happen! a g4 powerbook?! haha no way!" exactly like you g4 wielding morons are doing now.
If you're going to call people morons, you should know your history.

Power Mac G4: September 1999.
PowerBook G3 (Pismo): February 2000.
PowerBook G4: January 2001.

Note, however, that the Pismo went 11 months until it was retired in favor of the PowerBook G4... the Titanium is now at 10 months...

Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 11:47 PM

BrunoBruin:

True, but the Pismo was introduced *after* the PowerMac G4. It took a bit over two years for Apple to put the G4 in a portable.

With that in mind, the ongoing rumour is that Apple doesn't want to let the PowerBook linger in G4 land any longer than they have to - they'll just wait until G5s can run at proper heat and power levels in current PowerBook dimensions. Everyone seems to be pegging March or thereabouts.

Me, I'll probably get whatever's new by mid-to-late 2004. Hopefully that's a revision B PowerBook G5.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2003, 12:10 AM

Steve announces the powerbook G5 ...
... which looks surprisingly like a 1.6 GHz PowerMac G5 with an LCD stuck to the side of it ...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2003, 12:14 AM

With IBM's Altivec G3's, Moto's pooched G4's and the uncertainty surrounding the G4 Powerbook line, the iBook could quickly become the machine of choice in the coming months ...

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2003, 12:55 AM

Why can't I just have the backlit keyboard in the 12" model. It's not like it costs apple that much more to produce it.

cs
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

playby
Sep 10, 2003, 01:15 AM

I seem to remember Schiller making some remark about not seeing a DVD burner in a laptop "any time soon" a few weeks before they came out. Then again I could also have an extrememly spotty memory thats prone to justifying just about anything.

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2003, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
NO G5 IN LAPTOPS ANYTIME SOON!!!! Source; Apple Computer
Sorry to steal your thunder about this, but Apple also called this the year of the laptop or some such nonesense and left the definition of that phrase open ended, just as with this one. Soon is a very relative term. I would love to see the G5 in a Powerbook, even an underclocked one running at say 1.2-1.3 Gig, however, I dont see that happening, not till the begining of the new year anyway. Steve can announce it at Paris and state that they will ship in Dec/Jan (perfect for me by the way). The reasons for this are as follows:
1) I am willing to bet my left nut that Steve and co are doing everything in their power to separate themselves from Moto and their propensity to FUBAR almost anything they so much as look at much less touch.
2) Manufacturing: Apple is already behind the curve on G5 shippments and with Christmas coming up sales/demand should go up. Unless IBM and Apple have clearly figured out why they are behind the demand curve increasing the demand by adding the Pb line to the G5 at the same time as an increase in demand due to holiday spending is likely would not be smart. Lots of pissed customers, both PM and PB hopefulls, for missed shipments for X-mas is bad juju.
3) Sales: Apple is still selling PB, maybe not as well as before, but still well. They are now also selling PM relatively well. Some PB fiends, like myself are considering the dual 2 Giger in favor of a new laptop.

Right now it doesnt make sense to possibly hurt the ability to ship product on time by announcing the G5 PB and claiming its ready to go. Announcing with a ship date of Jan can be done, but at the risk of slowing PM sales. The most likely scenario is an announcement at the new year with the ability to ship right there and then.

todrain
Senior User
Sep 10, 2003, 01:40 PM

There is a better chance of an Intel Centrino in a PowerBook than a G5. (read as 0 chance)

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
Oh yeah! And the battery live drops down to 5 minutes and Apple is sued because the new 17`s burn holes through peoples thighs.

Agreed... isn't it a little early ?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2003, 02:11 PM

In terms of plausibility:

A dual 133 MHz bus 1 GHz G4 is more likely than a 1.6 GHz G5 in a PowerBook 17", but I think a dual 1 GHz G4 is unlikely too.

What IS possible is maybe something like a 1.3 GHz G5, but I highly doubt that too. Most likely is a 1.25 GHz G4.

Earliest time for a G5 is 2004H2 methinks. Possibly much later.

More predictions and info here.

cambro
Senior User
Sep 12, 2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by TAZ:
3) Sales: Apple is still selling PB, maybe not as well as before, but still well. They are now also selling PM relatively well. Some PB fiends, like myself are considering the dual 2 Giger in favor of a new laptop.
There are none left to sell.

15 Supply (macprices)
12 Supply.

And it is back-to-school time. This is costing Apple beaucoup bucks this season. SOMETHING has to be up or somebody really f#*ked up.

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by cambro:
There are none left to sell.

15 Supply (macprices)
12 Supply.

And it is back-to-school time. This is costing Apple beaucoup bucks this season. SOMETHING has to be up or somebody really f#*ked up.
I know there are none left in the channel, unfortunately. I was refering to the reasons for a G5 update just now. I firmly believe that there will be a PB update at Paris, maybe not Keynote worthy, but an update still. Speed bumped powerbooks will still sell relatively well, but G5's may steal the thunder from the PM. It is however VERY sad that Apple has missed out ona HUGE chunk of change during the back to school buying season that is now winding down if not already totally over. Personal opinion not based on any facts is that Moto screwed the pooch.....again. I can not believe that Apple who historically makes good money off the education market didnt get their ducks in a row with a PB update before the end of summer. I am willing ot bet they just couldnt get chips from Moto in decent quantities. Wonder if Moto is pisse at the G5 and decided to get some revenge by pissing in Apples back to school Corn Flakes.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by jhunt5247:
Not everyone wants a 17" screen on a laptop, and to cripple the 15" to get people to spend more money on something they don't want is criminal.
Uh... excuse me, but Apple is famous for crippling the lower ends of their product lines. Why should the 15"/17" PBs be any different?
MacBook Pro

HotSoup
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2003, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by cszar2001:

lol, exactly what I was thinking. It's already pretty so-so right now (just compared to the iBook) around 2-3 hours.

And apparently the 12" is 'fry an egg on it' hot.

kaveman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2003, 06:31 PM

The year of the laptop would be quite embarrassing without something extra. Indeed the G5 probably isn't in the cards at this time, but why not a dual G4? It might be that Apple has been waiting for the 7457 for the lower energy consumption/heat.

Apple might also use the 7457-R. The current crop of G4's only access the ram once per clock cycle. The -R verstion should allow the processor to access the DDR RAM twice per cycle. Using processors much beyond 1 GHz with the current 1-stroke situation would not yield appreciable real world benefits. Last I heard the -R variant was months away...

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2003, 07:38 PM

My friend just ordered a pbook 12" and her order completion date was something like 8-10 days...

That seems rather long, doesn't it?

-g

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2003, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by jhunt5247:
This would be horrible. The 17" is a freak. Keep the 15" on par with the 17" in every aspect except the display size.

Im in total agreement with you on this man!!!

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2003, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by gbafan:
Uh... excuse me, but Apple is famous for crippling the lower ends of their product lines. Why should the 15"/17" PBs be any different?
He gave his reasons-try reading again.

The 15" WAS the top end and should still be considered TOP end, the size of the Display should be the only factored difference.

For instance, i want the fastest 15 inch i can get...its the perfect size, the 12 inch is way too small an LCD an the 17 is just ridiculously TOO big to be practical for my purposes. If i required only a 12 inch due to the kind of work it would be used for then why the fsck should i be offered a unit that is much slower? It just seems to be a stoopidassed idea to cripple the PB's performance based on their physical sizes.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Sep 12, 2003, 11:02 PM

I don't buy the "apple screwed up" by not having a new pb for school. If it was that important to them, they would have announced the pb before the back to school season. Even if they couldn't get the chips in time, that has never stopped them from announcing stuff before it was ready to ship. (17 inch anyone?)

Then again, I'm becoming to think they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they announce something before its ready to ship, they have to listen to endless complaints about the delay in getting the product, and If they keep tight lipped til they have enough to sell, then they have to listen to endless complaints about not having any new models out.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

abrody
Sep 13, 2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Link:
i side with the poster above in absolutely believing g5 powerbooks will come soon.

Why? 2 reasons.

2. The g5 doesn't really get THAT hot, the powerMAC was designed to run silent.

3. you can fit a nice cooling system in a laptop

4. a 1.25ghz G5 will produce less heat then a 2.4ghz desktop p4 (I guarantee it).

5. It's cheaper then putting a g4 in that sucka.

Need i keep going on and on? if PC companies can do it then I'm sure apple can.
The G4 Powerbook was released long after the first G4. The first G4 was released September 1999. The first G4 Powerbook was released January 2001. That's a year and half almost between the introduction of the G4 and the G4 Powerbook. The G5s barely have come off the assembly line. That means the G5 Powerbook whatever it is, won't be released until January 2005. Case closed.
Check out my index of over 300 Macintosh sites, with links updated monthly at:
http://www.index-site.com

:XI:
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2003, 04:16 PM

you haven't seen this, have you?

Is that 1" thick case still big enough?

vsurfer
Senior User
Sep 13, 2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by :XI::
you haven't seen this, have you?

Is that 1" thick case still big enough?
Yikes! Pretty funny -- now let's try to imagine a dual G5 powerbook

beachmark
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2003, 05:13 PM

I had the pleasure to talk to Paul Schiller, a big boss from Apple, and currently visiting the IBC in Amsterdam.

Of course the subject turned to Powerbooks. On my question how about a G5 Powerbook he showed me the air flow system inside a G5 desktop. Apparently there are 9 of them in the new G5. Then he showed me the actualy chip, which is not much big than a small fingernail. Arount it there was an enormous cooler. He finished by stating " I arrest my case".

That is for me a clear signal that a G5 like currently in the desktop is not be expected in the near future.

Oh yeah, another thing he stated was that Apple expects to have a G5 3GHZ within 12 months from now. So all you guys currently considering buying one why do you not wait for the upgrade to #GHZ. The advantage is that other than eveybody waitign for a new Powerbook 15inch you can be sure that that 3GHZ is coming for sure within 12 months whilst with the new 15inch we still have to await what is coming in Paris later in the week.

And one other thing to finish off: Apple is still selling more Portables than last year, so the prediction of the year of the portables has paid off. Maybe not for the forefront runners but in any way for the greater audience.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

Kubdibore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2003, 07:30 PM

Incidently, if he said 'It is the year of the notebook' then couldn't that also mean iBooks go G4 and the PB get speed/graphics bumps and Al 15". The G4 TiBook was released a year and half after the tower - but they also had to develope a completely new case, design and heat dissipation system etc etc. They have already developed the AlBook, so now it perhaps isn't such a mission to import a G5. Everyone did seem pesimistic about the G4 going into the powerbook and then it happened and everyone was amazed. They won't exactly tell anyone about it before it happens. We might be in for a surprise this time, though I admit I do doubt it.....

thebeast
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2003, 09:04 PM

A G4 in an iBook instead of a G3 would only make sense, if the G3 sucks. But the G3 rawks like fried chicken!

IBM is working on improving the G3 lots. The G4 should not be in the next PowerBook, if a more modern G3 was to be found. Why do I say this? Well, give the PB 12" a slap infront of the keyboard - and that should tell you why. I've been told the G3 uses around 7W and the G4 more than 60W. The G3 is still worth my money!

bhudson53
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2003, 04:13 PM

Here's what I think the configurations of the new powerbooks will be:

what's likely - minor speed upgrades for the whole line, such as a 1GHz 12" and a 1.25 or 1.33 GHz 15" and 17". An aluminum 15" with bluetooth, airport extreme, firewire800, and backlit keys. All with USB 2.0.

other possibilities - slightly larger 15", such a 15.4" screen. Drop in price, especially for the higher end 15" and 17". Faster superdrives, such as a 2x.

what I'd like to see but think is unlikely - of course a G5 powerbook, but think the earliest we'd see this is in 6 months. A G4 iBook, but this won't happen until the powerbook goes G5.

csoledad  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2003, 06:27 PM

To all of those that have said the PPC970 dissipates too much heat. Yes you are right at high clock speeds that is true! However at slower clock speeds the story changes dramatically. The 1.6 GHZ power mac has a huge heat sink because one is required at 2.0GHz and designing two separate heatsinks is not cost effective.

See this data:

According to IBM's PowerPC 970 documentation, a 1.2 GHz PowerPC 970 comes in at 19W power dissipation (typical), while a 1.8 GHz PowerPC 970 comes in at 42W.

Meanwhile, Motorola's PowerPC 74xx documentation indicates that a 1 GHz PowerPC 7455, the latest processor about which data is available, dissipates 35.5W (typical) (and 50W max).

As you can see it is more than possible to put a 970 in a powerbook since the current G4s use 35 to 50 W of power.

The only obstacle in my opinion (especially in the roomy 17inch enclosure) is the bus controller apple ASIC and other motherboard parts.

We will see on Tuesday!

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 06:46 PM

Meanwhile, Motorola's PowerPC 74xx documentation indicates that a 1 GHz PowerPC 7455, the latest processor about which data is available, dissipates 35.5W (typical) (and 50W max).
I hate to throw water on your argument, but I believe that the 7455 used in the PowerBooks are low-power variants (1.3 vs. 1.6 volts) that consume about half the power of the desktop variety.

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2003, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
I hate to throw water on your argument, but I believe that the 7455 used in the PowerBooks are low-power variants (1.3 vs. 1.6 volts) that consume about half the power of the desktop variety.
Doesnt make much difference what the Moto G4 puts out. Even at half they would run 18-25 W, very similar to the 1.2 Gig G5. I still think that a G5 PB is feasable this year, but is not being done for business reasons.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 07:31 AM

I heard this rumour that apple somehow found a way to magically shrink the G5 as in pictures above to fit inside a 1" casing..

anyway they also found a way to fit the thing below into a powerbook

{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

macxtal
Sep 15, 2003, 09:31 AM

Those big heatsinks and all those fans are for -silence-.

If you look at the clock/watt figures, the G5 is actually cooler than the G4. Please do not perpetuate ignorance.

crispinwilliams
Sep 15, 2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by macxtal:
Those big heatsinks and all those fans are for -silence-.

If you look at the clock/watt figures, the G5 is actually cooler than the G4. Please do not perpetuate ignorance.
I am not sure why you claim the G5 is cooler than the G4. It seems that the low-power 7457 needs 7.5 W at 1 GHz... I would bet that the G5 takes more power than that if you could clock at this low rate... however you can say correctly that since the G5 is 64 bits - it is doing more work - this is true but remember all the Mac applications are 32 bit - even OS 10.3 will be 32 bits. At this moment in time - there is absolutely no need of a 64 bit processor in a powerbook. Recently I saw some speed comparison that showed a Dual 1 GHz system that had similar benchmark results to the 1.6 GHz G5. Therefore - I would much prefer a dual G4 (as long as the low power 7457 are used) to a G5 powerbook - and this is what I expect to be annouced in Paris

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2003, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by crispinwilliams:
I am not sure why you claim the G5 is cooler than the G4. It seems that the low-power 7457 needs 7.5 W at 1 GHz...
He was probably comparing a 7455 "G4" to a 970 "G5". Indeed a 1.2GHz 970 uses less power than a 1.25GHz 7455.

But I guess we are all waiting for a 7457 tomorrow and this chip should use less power than a 970. Expecting a G5/970 in a PowerBook tomorrow is like asking for a green sky with violet dots: Not going to happen.

The real question is however: How does the 7457 compare with a 90nm 970-successor or an Altivec-enhanced 750 "Mojave" in terms of power and heat?

crispinwilliams
Sep 15, 2003, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
He was probably comparing a 7455 "G4" to a 970 "G5". Indeed a 1.2GHz 970 uses less power than a 1.25GHz 7455.

But I guess we are all waiting for a 7457 tomorrow and this chip should use less power than a 970. Expecting a G5/970 in a PowerBook tomorrow is like asking for a green sky with violet dots: Not going to happen.

The real question is however: How does the 7457 compare with a 90nm 970-successor or an Altivec-enhanced 750 "Mojave" in terms of power and heat?

I am certain that an Altivec-enhanced 750 Mojave will blow away a 7457 in performance and power use... I have been watching the web hoping to see a hint that such a processor would be coming soon.. so far - not a hint...

cambro
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 10:51 AM

Everybody is focused on processor power use and heat dissipation. This is understandable.

What about the bus itself? How much heat, if any, is generated by the high bus frequency found in the G5?

Also, I'd rather see a breakthrough in hard disk speed rather than processor change or speeds bumps in the PB. I'm pretty sure that most of the time, the processor et al. are waiting on the hard drive on my Ghz Ti.

Forum Links
Forum Rules