Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Coffee Spilt on Trackpad

Coffee Spilt on Trackpad
roders
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 08:36 AM

After doing this the keyboard on my TiPowerBook will sometimes "freeze" up if I brush the track pad, and I have to tap the trackpad to unfreeze it again.
Apple want to charge me �700 for a new Mobo, but the rest of the computer works fine.
Any tips, Say on cleaning, or what the problem might be?

Nessie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by roders:
After doing this the keyboard on my TiPowerBook will sometimes "freeze" up if I brush the track pad, and I have to tap the trackpad to unfreeze it again.
Apple want to charge me �700 for a new Mobo, but the rest of the computer works fine.
My laptop was acting very funny awhile back and I concluded that I had spilled something on my keyboard (Sony Vaio, to be replaced by PB on Monday!). My keys were sticking and random characters would pop up all the time, etc. I found an inexpensive replacement keyboard on ebay, happily, and I fixed it pretty easily. Has worked fine for over a year, no problems. I don't know if this will apply to you, of course. Perhaps it's not the MoBo.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 10:27 AM

sux, but motherboards is the backbone of your computer. I sugest you buy one of ebay that has a working mobo but a damaged screen(or anything else)

You wil be able to save alot of cash, or just upgrade : )

Force
Force

crispinwilliams
Oct 9, 2003, 12:32 PM

Have you enabled track pad tap for left click or anything like that - if so - recommend that you disable any functions such as those. To replace the whole mobo for just a track pad problem seems ridiculous..

Buzzfish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 02:00 PM

I spilled soda on mine at one point, and it did the same thing for a while. A real pain. But its not llikely that your computer is freezing, just the trackpad is probably confused by some residue from the coffee on the edges of the pad and underneath where the aluminum lay down on the edges of the pad. Then it will just not work until you tap it and it reaadjusts.

Mine went away, i use a USB mouse most of the time anyway. but My trackpad is fine now.

So my suggestion? let it ride, it will probably go away, hook up a USB mouse in the meantime.

Sorry, just realized you said TiBook after i wrote this, so what i said about the aluminum doesn't apply.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by roders:
I dropped my mobile phone into a cup of coffee by accident (best not to ask!) and it was rendered useless... Wouldn't turn on, and then when it did, kept crashing.

In the end, I opened it up and used a can of compressed air and also a can of evaporating 'contact cleaner' type stuff to clean the parts of the phone insides that had coffee in/on them.

I then left it for a few days in a warm(ish) place, and it worked fine for years afterwards...

May be worth a try...

If not, do you have household insurance? they often cover damage and accidents like this...

Peace,

Marc

roders  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 05:55 AM

Ok something even weird'ers happened, when you tap the left hand side of the Ti Book (even gently) it activates the mouse click, bizzare.
Thanx for the cleaning tips Mark.

Forum Links
Forum Rules