Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ucontrol vs SideTrack

ucontrol vs SideTrack
KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2004, 09:56 PM

I was wondering what user's thought about this. I want the scrolling ability, and ucontrol's seems nicer with the whole touchpad being a scroller with the fn key depressed. The only thing I think will make me feel weird with SideTrack is that if I am dragging something I may go into the bar which sidetrack allots itself. For the users that have used both, which do you think is a better choice?
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2004, 10:16 PM

both are good choices. In fact, I like both so much that I use both of them. I use SideTrack to have scrolling with my touchpad if I'm using it (holding a key with the touchpad doesn't seem that appealling. If I wanted to do that, my finger is close enough, I'd just use the arrow keys); and I use uControl to scroll with my bluetooth mouse if that is what I'm using.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 05:49 AM

I prefer sidetrack -

for a lazy user like, it sometimes is too much to press down a key to scroll.. if i had to press a key, i might as well just hit "page down". I just like to move my finger to the side of the trackpad and scroll that way.. no keypress needed.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 5, 2004, 06:02 AM

like madmacgames I use both - SideTrack's unbeatable scrolling feature and uControl to turn my 12" rev. B keyboard into a "usable" keyboard by remapping the completely useless "enter" key to the right of the command key into an immensely useful option key.

And may the dude who designed that keyboard rot in hell for his ignorance and hostile attitude towards left-handed people

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
completely useless "enter" key to the right of the command key into an immensely useful option key.
Whoa! You know, as long as I've been using Macs, I have *never* noticed that key there!

Wow, weird.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2004, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
like madmacgames I use both - SideTrack's unbeatable scrolling feature and uControl to turn my 12" rev. B keyboard into a "usable" keyboard by remapping the completely useless "enter" key to the right of the command key into an immensely useful option key.
This is exactly what I do, too.

No "vs." on my machine, just peaceful coexistence.

-s*

crispinwilliams
Jan 5, 2004, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by KraziKid:
I was wondering what user's thought about this. I want the scrolling ability, and ucontrol's seems nicer with the whole touchpad being a scroller with the fn key depressed. The only thing I think will make me feel weird with SideTrack is that if I am dragging something I may go into the bar which sidetrack allots itself. For the users that have used both, which do you think is a better choice?
Both Sidetrack and the scrolling addition to ucontrol were written by the same person.. and actually using one does not exclude the other - you can install both. If you are dragging something and enter the scroll area allocated by SideTrack - you do not get scrolling action - you continue to drag .. so there is no reason for you to feel weird.. Personally I prefer SideTrack for scrolling.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 6, 2004, 03:55 AM

I do use the Enter key -- it's not the same thing as the Return key.

For example, in AIM, you can set it to only accept Enter to send a message, while Return will enter a line break.

Very useful distinction now and then.

tooki

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 6, 2004, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by Tooki:
I do use the Enter key -- it's not the same thing as the Return key.
He, he - Tooki's right, of course - the Enter key does have its uses. On my regular full-size keyboard I use it quite frequently - in Photoshop for example, when editing text the Enter key ends the editing "action" while the Return key adds a line break. But personally, I use the Option key a whole lot more often than the Enter key and I do have a (perpetual) bone to pick with Apple over their truly retarded (Powerbook-)keyboard design as far as left-handed folks are concerned. For a company that "majors" in usability, they can be amazingly thoughtless at times ...

cazlar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2004, 07:33 AM

I too use both SideTrack and uControl. I use uControl to turn off capslock (which I always seem to bump while typing) and to scroll quickly with the Fn key. I also have SideTrack set to scroll quite slowly, so I use that for a small scrolling like when reading, without needing to press anything.

As for the "enter" key, a hint from macosxhints enables it to be remapped as a new F9 key, so Expos� is handily placed now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules