Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 2 macs and 1 monitor

2 macs and 1 monitor
Eple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2004, 05:22 PM

Hi everybody,

I'm shopping around for a switchbox that will allow me to use one single monitor on 2 macs. I hear there are some that even come with usb ports so you can use just one keyboard for two computers. Please recommend brands and models and I will decide which one is the best for my needs.
The monitor in question is a 17" Apple studio display (vga) and I have a G4 and a G5.

thanks in advance,

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 12:56 AM

what you are after is a "kvm" box. have a look at some listed here at dr. bott ....sorry, i don't have any direct experience with any of them though.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Eple  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
what you are after is a "kvm" box. have a look at some listed here at dr. bott ....sorry, i don't have any direct experience with any of them though.
thanks for the link Blur!
Anybody have any experience with these kvm boxes?? I really wish to hear someone's experience before coughing up the dough!

thanks

HeatherEcsedi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2004, 07:38 AM

If you buy a LaCie Electron22BlueIV (CRT), you'll have the ability to connect two VGA cables to the monitor. You can select signals A and B with a button on the front of the display, just below the screen. I believe the latest 19" model (IV) has that feature too but I can't be sure. The version III did not.

But you'll still have to use 2 keyboards and mice (unless you want to plug in and out a single keyboard / mouse.
HEC

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2004, 10:04 AM

IOGEAR makes a USB KVM switch for a very good price. This is an extreme one that shares not only USB KB/Mouse/Video, but also Speakers and USB peripherals.

This one may do the job and doesn't require a power adapter either (it won't share speakers/peripherals, but it'll share USB KB/Mouse and Video between two machines.
www.macgenealogy.org - Genealogy on the Mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules