Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual 1.8 G5 for reliability and longevity

Dual 1.8 G5 for reliability and longevity
iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 8, 2004, 03:34 PM

Hello,

I've been having some problems with the reliability of my Powerbook, so I was wondering if getting a base model G5 would be the best way of keeping out of Apple Service Providers. These are the points and questions that I am considering:

1. As a professional desktop machine, would it be appropriate to assume that a G5 will be more reliable than a laptop? These are expected to render at full CPU 24/7, aren't they?

2. I'm used to using a clamshell iBook and a 12" Powerbook - will I notice the PM as much louder? - I'd hope that the slowest one would be the quietest of the bunch.

3. I don't really need the extra mobo features of the 2.0 and 2.5, do I? I'm just a home user, hoping for a long-lived machine. Will this mobo be less upgradable beyond the PCI slots?

4. Is there much difference between the basic NVidia card supplied or the cheaper ATI BTO option, which is not much extra?

5. How easy is it to open and do suff inside the case (e.g. an extra HD or RAM)

6. My powerbook has been in for repairs so many times that if it does not come back right the next time, I am due for a new repacement machine. Is it unheard of being allowed to use this value to buy another mac, paying the difference? - This would make getting the G5 much easier and cheaper.

Any ideas or comments much appreciated!

David

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2004, 04:33 PM

1. It should be very reliable. Mine is.
2. The G5 is very quiet.
3. The biggest problem I have with the 1.8 is that it only has 4 RAM slots. Considering that RAM must be installed in pairs you have one upgrade left before you start replacing RAM.
4. ATI is supposed to be better.
5. Very easy.
6. I don't know.
The Apple Store charges tax, so I would not order from them. Zotzdigital.com can do a bto without tax.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2004, 10:16 AM

1. It's very reliable, and very capable of rendering over long periods of time. I have been recently playing with echelon to encode some stuff using the batch feature, as an example, and ran it for around 12 hours straight, with no problems. It rarely kicked the fans in full blast (which surprised me). You'll find the machine is quite useful when your rendering, creating DVDs, etc. because your still able to do normal work while it does all of that in the background.

2. Like I said, it rarely gets loud/runs the fans full-blast.

3. As was said, 4 memory slots is a pain, but 1GB sticks will do just fine for a long time. No other limitations.

4. Hard to call, depends on what you need to do and if your having multiple monitors hooked up. If you have two monitors, go with the ATI for sure, for the extra memory.

5. Incredibly easy to access the insides.

6. Sounds like you got a bad PB - mine has been incredibly reliable. Regardless, you'll enjoy the G5, and it has many years of usefulness to come.
www.macgenealogy.org - Genealogy on the Mac

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2004, 12:58 PM

6. I've seen someone with a crap iBook get credit towards his new PB. Maybe it's the same case with you, never hurts to ask a rep.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules