Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Looking for a new game...suggestions please

Looking for a new game...suggestions please
iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 03:27 AM

Ok I'm looking for an intersting game. Something I can play online or in single player mode if I choose.

I don't want any of those army games, I'm kinda bored with them.

I've looked at Neverwinter Nights, Age of Mythology, Baldur's Gate....

I want something that goes on forever if need be (hence the online component I guess). It has to have great graphics, sound and of course game play.

There are quite a few (I mentioned only 3 above, but I've looked at so many).

I'd really appreciate hearing others opinions/suggestions on these or similar games.

What do ya'll recommend?
PowerBook Rev C 12 " Combo, 1.25 gig ram, OSX 10.3.5, Airport Express, iPod 3G, Fuji Finepix F700, Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks II.

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 09:31 AM

Railroad Tycoon III, I've played II on the PC a lot, and III on a friend's PC. If the port is as good as claimed, it will be solid, and the RT games have always had longevity (I still play the first Railroad Tycoon).

Waiting on mine in the mail.
www.macgenealogy.org - Genealogy on the Mac

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2004, 09:57 AM

dungeon siege. its a 3D rpg game. all the basics..you make a character with what looks you want, name and all that. free to play online. you can download new maps to play on or even new mods to change the entire game. i prefer dungeon siege over neverwinter nights or a few others.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 10:41 AM

I know you said you aren't interested in any army games, but have you tried the Demo of Unreal Tournament 2004? It's a pretty amazing game, both single play and online.
The other games recommended in this thread are great as well.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2004, 02:39 PM

i just thought of a few more that may interest you. starcraft and diablo 2. although both only come with the OS 9 installers, you can download the OSX installers off blizzards site.

masters of orion 3 is a great game. its a space turn based, strategy game. build colonies and such. you pick your race out of several races. i think you can play it online, i'm not sure. i know you can play it on a LAN.

i have baldur's gate, but it plays slow in OSX. i haven't tried it in OS9, but i hear its better in OS9. i also have neverwinter nights, but i haven't played it much. it is a great game and you can download other maps to play on.

iluvmypowerbook  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 05:46 PM

What do ya'll think of Age of Mythology?

It looks like the kinda game I'm interested in
( Last edited by iluvmypowerbook; Sep 21, 2004 at 09:28 PM. )
PowerBook Rev C 12 " Combo, 1.25 gig ram, OSX 10.3.5, Airport Express, iPod 3G, Fuji Finepix F700, Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks II.

iluvmypowerbook  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2004, 07:25 PM

Ok I caved and bought Age of Mythology

Haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2004, 01:48 AM

Rise of Nations. Civ + RTS.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
This is what I'm waiting for.
MacBook Pro

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2004, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Sep 23, 2004, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by cruciarius:
dungeon siege. its a 3D rpg game. all the basics..you make a character with what looks you want, name and all that. free to play online. you can download new maps to play on or even new mods to change the entire game. i prefer dungeon siege over neverwinter nights or a few others.

If there is ever was an attempt to make a game out of nothing but feces then that's it! Dungeon Sh�t!

Mindless. First adjective that pops up. Repetitive. Follows immediately after. Without plot or roleplaying element. No depth, just unispired 100% linearness that makes every RPG in HISTORY shine in comparison. I played it for an incredibly long time because I didn't BELIEVE anyone would make a game that for all intents and purposes INSULTED the player for wasting time on it. The graphics are horrible, especially the bitmaps. Have fun manageing your inventory for hours and recruiting a PACK HORSE as your 8th member. Yes, you heard right. This game was created by people who were never allowed to enjoy a good role playing game - maybe they were too ****ing geeky for the rpg nerds to let them aboard!

This epitome of awfulness makes me angry just thinking about it. After playing through half of it I realized I didn't ****ing care what happened to my mind-numbingly boring and lame ass party and even less about the plot. PLOT? As if there was one.

No this game was probably designed by a committe of marketing zombies. I can see it before me now.

Zombie1: We need to make a RPG
Zombie2: OK we should get a designer then.. whom to choose?
Zombie3 Hey, we have zillions of templates out there. Why don't we just copy the most important elements (like that inventory thing and endless hack and slash) and add a gimmick like 3d?
Zombies 1 and 2: Hell yeah!

Worst. Game. Ever.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 03:49 PM

I'm thinking Massive Assault or HomeWorld 2, both of which have a lot of depth and in the case of the former an online game might just last forever

Dungeon Siege does suck phenomenally, worst rpg I've ever played.

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2004, 04:41 PM

Agreed on Dungeon Seige. Good to being with, but *completely* linear. You can't wander off the beaten track at all.

Try Neverwinter Nights instead. Far better.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2004, 07:28 PM

dungeon siege may come with a linear single player game, but i guess nobody ever played it multiplayer. i used to play several multiplayer games that were all interesting.

as for graphics, it looks good, IMO. its a much better game than diablo 2 and easier to pick up and play than neverwinter nights.

dungeon siege being the worst RPG ever? heck no. i would rather have it than Baldur's Gate or a few others.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 07:46 PM

Everquest?

Noivad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by iluvmypowerbook:
Ok I'm looking for an intersting game. Something I can play online or in single player mode if I choose.

I want something that goes on forever if need be (hence the online component I guess). It has to have great graphics, sound and of course game play.

There are quite a few (I mentioned only 3 above, but I've looked at so many).

I'd really appreciate hearing others opinions/suggestions on these or similar games.

What do ya'll recommend?
Well if you're willing to give up the graphics and sound requirement, but not the game play aspect you could try the Clan Lord Demo. It's more of an arcade game from the 80s in terms of graphics (It's not POV 3D, it's top down Isometric with hand drawn graphics.
"The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen [sic] and stupidity."--Noivad

Turias
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2004, 11:04 AM

You mentioned Neverwinter Nights. Get it. It is an amazing game.

Forum Links
Forum Rules