Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Fat Losers

Fat Losers
Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 04:46 PM

Superchicken/Salty Blog Entry #458

OK so I know there's actually a fair number of MacNN users who have recently taken to loosing weight. Can't remember all who, but I figured now would be a good time to be all encouraging and crap in each-other's endeavours. What sparked this? Well I'm finally down to 250! Which is funny cause the other day later in the day I looked and it said 260. However that was you know, after eating, drinking, etc. But anyway this morning I was at 250. And I know it's not just this scale cause the one at the gym gives around the same results.
Best part is this wasn't like, 255, or 253 or something, this was like RIGHT ON 250!

OK now some of you are saying 250, holy crap that's a lot of weight. I'm a very large person in general. My last year of High school I was 315, and people would normally guess I was around 250. Even had a guy guess when I was at like 280 that I was 240 and he himself weight 230 (I just dress better).

So yah, Since June before this last one I've gone from somewhere over 300 to 250! If you take the highest weight I'd ever admit to have been, 315 (and anything over that I always just said the scale must be busted haha), that's like 65 pounds gone! All in a lil over a year!
I even had one of my skinny friends comment that, wow he actually noticed I'd lost weight. And this is one of the least observant people I know! OH and as well I used to wear size 48 pants, I am now down to a size 38, and they fit well! I think I might be able to get down to a size 34 even!
The other day I even tried on a "Large" T-Shirt... and it fit... I haven't had a large T-shirt fit since like Grade 8!

Anyway... so yah... share your stories, where you're at now, what you're doing? I recently got some myroplex meal replacement bars for after I work out at the gym, it's great I eat one and I'm full. And it means I'm not eating too much because I think I'm hungry. I also stopped taking whey powder for now, I think that's what had me hovering around 270.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2005, 04:52 PM

MacNN addiction makes me fat. All the beer and popcorn when hanging out in the Lounge just isn't good.

-t

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 04:53 PM

I'm 76 kg and 185 cm. I smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and don't excercise. I don't eat much either and drink a lot of water and wine.

Never eat when you're unhappy and never eat so much you couldn't eat more.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2005, 05:05 PM

Please, no one else ever type the words "so yah" ever again. Ever. Holy living crap on a stick.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Please, no one else ever type the words "so yah" ever again. Ever. Holy living crap on a stick.
so yah.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
So yah, what's the problem ?

-t

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 05:20 PM

so yah.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 05:31 PM

yup. yep. yepper.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
Fat Losers
Btw, sure you didn't mean fat loosers ?

-t

brapper
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 05:42 PM

HOLY CRAP THAT'S A LOT OF WEIGHT!

(how tall be you?)

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 05:46 PM

Let's see here, I have a successful story to share with anyone that is wondering:

"Is it Worth it?"
"I feel so tired from living on a calorie restricted diet, being fat and eating anything I wanted at least kept me energized and it was easy"
"This is so hard to do and I don't care anymore"

It is worth it. About a year and a half ago I was at 250 lbs., standing at 6'0" tall I looked like this:

and

In the about 8 months that followed when I started, I lost 70 pounds and am down to 180 lbs. I have been able to maintain that weight by learning what I can and cannot eat. I have literally changed my lifestyle. I still have a very hard to attain goal of 170 lbs. At 170 lbs., I would start to have actual muscle definition instead of just look skinny with a thin layer of fat on me. I have been going to the gym and let me tell you something: IT IS WORTH IT. My recent pictures:

(My Dad had gotten the 50 Cent necklace as a gag gift and being as white as we are, we decided to be ganstas for the photo op)

Anyways, I'm still going to the gym, still prodding along. It's worth it in every aspect of my life. No more heart palpitations, no more not going to the beach, no more being afraid to take my shirt off, no more being self conscious around women, no more breathing difficulties, I sleep better, I have more energy, I'm not a "fat" american anymore. The list of things that are better about my life go on and on and on. Keep going guys. It's worth it.
( Last edited by iDriveX; Sep 29, 2005 at 02:19 PM. )

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2005, 06:05 PM

Congratulations to Salty on losing the weight (seriously) and on posting something quite long without using the phrase "that said".

(congrats to iDriveX too).

Keep up the good work guys.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2005, 06:30 PM

Your dad kinda looks like James Hetfield.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 06:49 PM

Wow iDrive you dropped a lot! That's great, though you should see my hair dresser . Seriously though that's great .

Oh and to the person who asked I'm 6 foot 3. I'm still not super happy to have to take off my shirt now, gimmie till Christmas or so and hopefully. My goal is sexy by June ... though that was this last year's goal. I didn't realize how much weight I'd have to take off to get sexy though

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 07:35 PM

I went to the beach for the first time this year after living in Southern California for 4 years. About a month ago I also went on a Cancun trip and felt very comfortable taking off my shirt and seeing a lot of people that were heavier than me. It felt good to be in that lower percentile of fat people.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 07:43 PM

haha no doubt! Though, if that's your dad... he looks really young...

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 09:56 PM

He had turned 50 on the day of that picture.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 10:11 PM

Holy Frick, he looks young for 50! Hope I look that good at 50! My dad looks super old compared to that. Then again dad doesn't take care of himself, and some days I think he's just waiting to die but...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2005, 12:45 AM

Good work iD. What did it for you?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
He obviously transferred all of his weight to his hair.

nbnz
Senior User
Sep 28, 2005, 05:24 AM

In 2002 I was 205 pounds, very overweight for a short arse like me (170cm). Got down to ~150 after 1 year of eating right (WeightWatchers) and getting into running. Maintaining it is a breeze with the running.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2005, 10:31 AM

Yah, so.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
He obviously transferred all of his weight to his hair.

-t

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 11:36 AM

Good work on the weight loss. Just make sure your cholesterol isn't too high and your heart is strong. No point being thin and dying.

ps, you lose weight, not loose weight.
pps, a person will have weighed themselves, not weight themselves.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2005, 11:49 AM

So Yah

I was at 220 about 5 years ago and I'm floating around 162 - 164 right now, Most people think I'm anorexic because I'm so fanatical about counting calories and working out. I generally work out about 6 days and I try to eat 2 small meals and one normal meal.

My biggest concern is putting it back on, so if I stay fanatical about it, then I'm one step ahead of making excuses for not working out or grabbing a snack.

I used to be a couch potato and now I'm very active, I inline skate (do a skating marathon once a year), I climb 2 to 3 mountians a summer - I usually try Mt. Washington in NH annually and I try to compete in a fair number of 5k races.

Mike

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
So Yah

I was at 220 about 5 years ago and I'm floating around 162 - 164 right now, Most people think I'm anorexic because I'm so fanatical about counting calories and working out. I generally work out about 6 days and I try to eat 2 small meals and one normal meal.

My biggest concern is putting it back on, so if I stay fanatical about it, then I'm one step ahead of making excuses for not working out or grabbing a snack.

I used to be a couch potato and now I'm very active, I inline skate (do a skating marathon once a year), I climb 2 to 3 mountians a summer - I usually try Mt. Washington in NH annually and I try to compete in a fair number of 5k races.

Mike
Apparently six small meals is the best... of course I'm a hypocrite I can't even find six different things a day to eat at our house...

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 01:00 PM

but a small meal is pretty small. More like a largish snack.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 01:53 PM

Congratulations, Salty!

I'm impressed.

I know it's hard. I have to watch what I eat all of the time. Right now I'm eating tuna salad with no fat mayo and drinking a diet coke.

You have a lot of reason to be proud. Keep it up!

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 02:08 PM

I am no reference when it comes to weight because I am overweight not morbidly but according to today's society people go screaming in the other direction because of my weight.

But, my sister is; for many many years she has eaten according to the American Food Guide (actually the Canadian one) and always maintain a very healthy weight and has always excercise except when she was sick.

And eating healthy meant fruits and vegetables as the most food you have on your plate, some pasta or bread, of course milk or cheese, and some meat not a lot of it.

She said it is automatic for her to know what she is going to have; when she eats pasta for example she will eat less bread, etc.

I wish I could be like her but I hate fruits and vegetables and hate exercising. Prefer to read a book. I understand the pressure coming from all sides and believe me gentlemen it is extremely hard for a woman because you all want a woman size 0, 6 feet and 80 pounds with big breast.

I could never win at this game.

To those who like to play it, good luck and success.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
it is extremely hard for a woman because you all want a woman size 0, 6 feet and 80 pounds with big breast.
Don't believe the hype. Not all guys like the same thing.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 28, 2005, 02:29 PM

I am no reference when it comes to weight because I am overweight not morbidly but according to today's society people go screaming in the other direction because of my weight.

But, my sister is; for many many years she has eaten according to the American Food Guide (actually the Canadian one) and always maintain a very healthy weight and has always excercise except when she was sick.

And eating healthy meant fruits and vegetables as the most food you have on your plate, some pasta or bread, of course milk or cheese, and some meat not a lot of it.

She said it is automatic for her to know what she is going to have; when she eats pasta for example she will eat less bread, etc.

I wish I could be like her but I hate fruits and vegetables and hate exercising. Prefer to read a book. I understand the pressure coming from all sides and believe me gentlemen it is extremely hard for a woman because you all want a woman size 0, 6 feet and 80 pounds with big breast.
Common fallacy, at least according to some studies. While it's true that men in general do not prefer the look of overweight women, most men don't like the size 0 80 lb 6 ft tall look either. Most men (but not all of course) feel that such a build looks unhealthy, and prefer women who are closer to normal BMIs.

ie. 5'5" size 3 115 lbs is usually preferred to 5'5" size 0 80 lbs, but 5'5" size 14 180 lbs is not.

Also, it seems in some circles the harshest judges of a woman's looks are not men. They are other women.

Anyways, you shouldn't be looking at this only from the perspective of so-called "beauty". Health is much more important, and a healthy weight is... well... healthy. Many people are quite comfortable with their body image even while being quite overweight, and that's great. However, from a health perspective, being significantly overweight should still be a concern.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Sep 28, 2005 at 02:37 PM. )

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
A calorie restrictive diet of about 800-1000 Calories a day with moderate exercise in the gym at least 3 times per week, sometimes as much as 6 times a week depending on my schedule. The diet was higher in protein and lower in carbs. You could compare it to Atkins but I didn't believe in eating the same amount of calories but make them come from fat instead of carbs. There is some theories that say different types of calories are broken down differently or easier for the body to breakdown, but I knew one thing was sure: If I ate less calories than my body burned in a day, there would be no way I wouldn't lose weight. Based on that simple Physics equation, I just stuck to it.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 05:56 PM

This goes to show that weight loss is definitely relative. I gained a few pounds my fresher year at university, to the point where I weighed a little under 180. I am 6'2.5" so this weight is about average, but too me it seemed like it was too much. So I decided to get back into weekly cardio and I dropped back down to around 173 which is about what I should weigh.

I often wonder though if being thin is that important. Some people simply have a bigger presence (no pun intended) which a wiry person cannot achieve. Would Chris Farley have been so funny if he were skinny, or would the Skipper have been so reassuring if he had Gilligan's frame? For some people, extra weight enhances their personality.

Being muscular is also something that works for some people but doesn't work for others. A lot of times you see actors, like Hank Azaria for example, who look like average schmucks until they take their shirt off and reveal a hairless, chiseled torso. After I see something like that, I can't help but be creeped out.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2005, 06:02 PM

believe me gentlemen it is extremely hard for a woman because you all want a woman size 0, 6 feet and 80 pounds with big breast.
I beg to differ.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2005, 08:13 PM

a 6 foot tall woman would TOWER over me =(.
and I HATE BIG BREASTS (maybe I'm not being american enough here...)

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

cheery7upper
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2005, 09:25 PM

I am in the middle of a VERY intense diet right now, it is supposed to be 5 180cal drinks ( with all your nutrients and protein) and one bar a day. I've lost 17 lbs so far but I am still working on it. I wish I didn't cheat so much on the diet though, but it is so dang rough when you live with 5 other girls!!!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2005, 11:28 PM

it is extremely hard for a woman because you all want a woman size 0, 6 feet and 80 pounds with big breast.
Nah. 6 feet is too tall. I'm 6' and a chick who's 6' with 4-inch heels would be too tall.

80 pounds is too light, Need a girl who won't break in half.

I can go either way on the cup size but as far as "big breast" goes, I would prefer "big breasts" over just one.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2005, 11:30 PM

What I found worked for me was simply eating at better times, taking some supplements, and two hours at the gym about 4-6 times a week. It let me stay eating what I want. I stopped eating some things that were like just pure sugar, especially later in the day. I might let myself have two doughnuts if it's around lunch, but I wouldn't at around say 5pm. I figure most days I'm working off a lot more calories than I'm taking in now but I'm not really keeping track.

That said, the girl I tried to woo this summer, actually did have a fairly large chest (actually she had to have a breast reduction) but she doesn't have a super small waist, she's not fat. But she's got a wider build and that's fine. Actually I prefer girls with broader builds, I always feel like I'd crush smaller girls.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 12:31 AM

Japanese food is starting to take its effect on me, and I`m losing a bit of weight. That and walking and or ridding a bike everywhere. I put on like 30 lbs the last two years of college (damn chinese food!) and I want to get back to my skinny self. Plus the Japanese are really weight obsessed here, and having a belly is annoying. Now all I have to do is figure out how to join this gym down the road....

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 01:02 AM

Why not just walk in and say you'd like to join? You can be the big American guy haha... hey I wonder if there's Japanese body builder guys who obsesses over how ripped they are like at my gym.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 29, 2005, 07:17 AM

I understand the pressure coming from all sides and believe me gentlemen it is extremely hard for a woman because you all want a woman size 0, 6 feet and 80 pounds with big breast.
No, not all men. I really don't care the height, the boob size does not matter to me. as far as weight goes, as long as she is healthy regardless of her weight.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 09:18 AM

iDriveX- repost your after pics smaller so I can see what everyone is talking about.

Congrats to all.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 12:37 PM

I would definitely have to say I am one of those vain Americans though. My ideal girl would be as skinny as Paris Hilton with tits like Briana Banks and Blonde. There's nothing better for me than seeing the outline of a little bit of the bottom of her rib cage with a nice D or DD set of fake tits laying on top of it. The rest doesn't matter Will repost them when i get to work today.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 12:53 PM

I have an aunt and uncle and their only exercise is walking, at one point they decided to become vegetarian but intelligent one by replacing meats with equivalent. Sometime they have chicken but it is very rare; they lost some weight but they are in great shape and in their 70's.

I guess you do not have to be drastic to lose weight because if you do you will regain it when you go back to normal.
( Last edited by Monique; Sep 29, 2005 at 01:12 PM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2005, 12:58 PM

Lose weight, not loose weight.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 29, 2005, 01:16 PM

A year ago I was at 310lbs. I started to try and lose weight using an exercise program and eating healthy foods but it only lasted a week. For the last year of college I didn't do anything else to try and lose weight but ended college around 295lbs or so. I started being conscious of what I eat over the summer and am now down to 270lbs. I'm now walking 2 miles every day and I'm thinking of joining the local gym since I won't be able to walk much once the cold weather hits hard.

I still have a long way to go but whenever I need motivation I just look at the fat face on my driver's license. It feels pretty good to have everyone I know ask if I've lost weight, even my normally unobservant friends.

So yah... I'm working at it. It's actually time for my walk now.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 01:26 PM

...I wish I could be like her but I hate fruits and vegetables and hate exercising. Prefer to read a book. I understand the pressure coming from all sides and believe me gentlemen it is extremely hard for a woman because you all want a woman size 0, 6 feet and 80 pounds with big breast.

I could never win at this game.

To those who like to play it, good luck and success.
i hate fruits as well so i double up on the veggies. i prefer watching tv over reading and riding my bike so when i watch tv i do free weights and push ups during commercials. could you perhaps ride a stationary bicycle while reading?

i'm not too picky with women and actually prefer slighly over than under and height not an issue though i am vertically challenged (think Michael J. Fox).

i tell my friends that complain about never getting laid is that they never play the game.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 02:21 PM

Fixed the images...

Oh and Tooki-

In the amount of time it took you to take out the photos, you could have instead sent me a private message and told me to resize them. But since you seem to be so fond of removing inline images. Here's another for ya:

I hope it's not to big.....the picture that is.
( Last edited by Xeo; Sep 29, 2005 at 03:06 PM. Reason: x-ray porn removed)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2005, 02:35 PM

^^^^ Too skinny. She's just bones. She needs to eat something. Get a protein shake or sumthing. ^^^^^

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2005, 02:46 PM

So this is NOT porn because it's x-rays ?

IBtookination !

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules