Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Fancy a new job?

Fancy a new job?
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2009, 10:17 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...0-AN-HOUR.html

Australian tourism bosses are offering Britons the chance to get the 'best job in the world' as the caretaker of a desert island - with a salary of nearly £1,000 per HOUR.

The plumb position requires 'minimum effort' and involves 'relaxed' duties such as feeding turtles, watching whales, and picking up the island's post.

Applicants require no academic qualifications, but must possess good swimming skills and a love of snorkelling, scuba diving and other water sports.

A passion for the great outdoors and the ability to speak English were also said to be an advantage.

Candidates will also have to demonstrate an 'adventurous attitude' and a 'willingness to try new things'.

The successful applicant will live rent-free in the lap of luxury on Hamilton Island, dubbed the 'jewel in the crown' of the Whitsunday Islands off the Queensland coast.

They will receive a three-bedroom house with 'unbeatable' views of a crystal-clear lagoon lined with palm trees and ringed by white sandy beaches.

The six-month contract comes with a salary package of Australian $150,000 (£70,000), including free return flights, transfers, expenses and transport around the island.

It equates to a staggering £972 per hour based on a 'flexi-time' schedule of a 12-hour working month.

The offer might sound too good to be true, but the Queensland Tourist Board insists there is no catch.

Jonathan Sloan, who works on behalf of Tourism Queensland in the UK, said: 'This is the best job in the world, there's no question about it.

'It has everything most people dream of - white sandy beaches, blue skies, warm seas and friendly people.

'It also boasts a very generous salary package and requires only a few hours of relaxed work with minimum effort per week.'

Advertised as a ''once-in-a-lifetime opportunity', the unique role of 'Island Caretaker' is now being advertised in 18 countries across the world (So not just Brits - Doof).

Beginning on July 1, the successful applicant will have few responsibilities and can decide how best to fill their days.

But they will be required to produce a weekly online blog, photo diary and video updates of their time on the island.

They will also have to give regular media interviews and send reports via email to chiefs at Tourism Queensland at the organisation's headquarters in Brisbane.

Requirements for candidates include: 'Excellent communication skills, good written and verbal English skills, an adventurous attitude, willingness to try new things, a passion for the outdoors, and good swimming skills and enthusiasm for snorkelling and/or diving.'

Anthony Hayes, the chief executive of Tourism Queensland, said the offer was being made to promote the island to a 'global market'.

He said: 'The cooperative marketing campaign aims to highlight the islands of the Great Barrier Reef and showcase Australia's own unique Island experience, to the global market.'

Interested parties can apply by submitting a 60-second video outlining the reasons they deserve to be picked. Applications are now open and close on February 22.

Tourism Queensland will select 11 potential candidates who will be whisked away to Hamilton Island for a selection process. The lucky applicant will be named on May 6.
Dust off that copy of iMovie and get to it chaps.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 11, 2009, 11:46 AM

Do they take Americans? What sort of Internet connection would the "successful candidate" have? That salary is over $105,000US. For being a gregarious beach bum. Wow.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2009, 12:04 PM

I suspect a ploy. For all we know, this is a scheme to stock the island with the Most Dangerous Game.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2009, 12:31 PM

I suspect the involvement of a TV company. You know, to film the "selection process".

What sort of Internet connection? Dude. You're on a desert island. You don't care!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 11, 2009, 12:31 PM

Gave up on our holy war against the moderation?

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Gave up on our holy war against the moderation?
No. I'm just having a break from it.

Got any comments about the thread content or are you just going to continue with the personal attacks?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 11, 2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I suspect the involvement of a TV company. You know, to film the "selection process".

What sort of Internet connection? Dude. You're on a desert island. You don't care!
The "weekly blog, photo diary and video updates"; a good connection means less time online and more time on the beach.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2009, 07:14 PM

Well guys (and gals) I'm happy to announce that I've been given the job. No need to make any films.

I'll send photos, when I can remember to post here that is.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2009, 07:36 PM

Hamilton Island is gorgeous, but I wouldn't exactly call it a desert island?

It's a 2000 person resort:

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2009, 08:21 PM

I have been to Hamilton Island many times, my father lived there for many years.

The lifestyle may suit someone that has not lived in Asia before, but if you are like me, it would be way too slow a lifestyle after many years living where I do now.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 09:13 PM

It seems a few people want this job.

Demand for "best job in the world" crashes website

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 10:19 PM

You can't even begin to describe the amount of publicity its getting. Its on Yahoo!, G4, here, my local news station, getting sent around in emails like crazy... Your chances are going to be 1 in however many adults over 18 are on the planet.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2009, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Your chances are going to be 1 in however many adults over 18 are on the planet.
It's a six month contract... ...so that lets out those who already have steady jobs and responsibilities. I mean, leave a steady job for a short term one in this financial climate?

Plus, no cars allowed... ...so that lets out the petrolheads.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 11:06 PM

You have to room with a gay superhero and with a poor DSL internet connection.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 14, 2009, 11:58 PM

Now you're just trying too hard to make a referential joke.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2009, 01:28 PM

kthxbai

Forum Links
Forum Rules