Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best web cam for iBook 900MHz G3

Best web cam for iBook 900MHz G3
Applefreak01
Senior User
Feb 18, 2004, 01:42 AM

Hello. I'm thinking about getting a web cam for my iBook. Which web cam is the best for my iBook? iSight or iBot?

I looked at Apple's iSight. I like how it looks and the features it has but I'm not sure how well it will run on my iBook.

1. Do you really have to have a 800MHz Dual G4 or better for the best possible resolution and fps from the iSight? I realize making the video/audio at such good quality takes some raw CPU power but I wouldn't think you would need a Dual 800MHz G4 or better.

2.How well does the microphone work? How well does it block out background noise?

What about an iBot firewire web cam? Are they any good? I was looking at the Pro version that comes with a USB headset and bvt pro. Or is the aonther firewire web cam out there that I missed? Thanks.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by Applefreak01:
Hello. I'm thinking about getting a web cam for my iBook. Which web cam is the best for my iBook? iSight or iBot?

I looked at Apple's iSight. I like how it looks and the features it has but I'm not sure how well it will run on my iBook.

1. Do you really have to have a 800MHz Dual G4 or better for the best possible resolution and fps from the iSight? I realize making the video/audio at such good quality takes some raw CPU power but I wouldn't think you would need a Dual 800MHz G4 or better.

2.How well does the microphone work? How well does it block out background noise?

What about an iBot firewire web cam? Are they any good? I was looking at the Pro version that comes with a USB headset and bvt pro. Or is the aonther firewire web cam out there that I missed? Thanks.
Hey,

I have an Ibot firewire, and it works pretty well on an Ibook 700 Mhz. The microphone is a must though, 'cause the integrated Ibook mic sucks big time.
I use the camera with Ichat, where bandwidth is the bottleneck, not the camera. So if it's what you intend to use it for, a regular USB webcam might even be enough. At any rate, Ibot is pretty good.

villa

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 09:34 AM

In my experience, the iSight is the best webcam out there for any firewire Mac. It's small, light and stable, has good picture quality and all the features you need (good clips, closing shutter, LED indicator, etc.).

It's tempting to save a few bucks and get something that 'might' be as good as the iSight, but then, you could also get a cheaper laptop and 'hope' that it's as good as the iBook.

marusin
Senior User
Feb 19, 2004, 01:37 PM

While it's a bit more, I think you'll have no problems and be quite happy if you picked up an iSight.

I run one on my 800mhz iBook with no problems at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules