Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > timbuk2 messenger bag

timbuk2 messenger bag
shadowofleaves
May 9, 2004, 11:09 PM

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/byobclassic.t2

i own a 15" aluminum, which would fit? the el ocho or the deedog

SnakeEyes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2004, 11:20 PM

I just bought a brand new 15" Powerbook and the Timbuk2 Commute is made specifically for a 15" notebook. It has a special compartment for the laptop, and it's pretty protective. I'm not sure if the bags you listed are intended to be used as a laptop bag. I may be wrong, let me know!

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2004, 02:08 AM

I have the Commute and it's my favorite bag of all the bags I've ever owned (and I'm something of a bag whore). Don't know about the other ones, but the Commute fits my 15" perfectly, and has lots of little pockets and compartments for all my accessories.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 02:12 AM

I own a deedog ... fantastic bags, what you gotta realize is they arent made for laptops. i bought the bag to tool around the city, not to carry laptops. when i got my powerbook, i picked up a hardsleeve to put the laptop into, then the sleeve into the timbuk2 (protect it from getting crushed by books) the deedogs do not have padding, although it is waterproof. so if go with timbuk2, and u dont want a commute bag (cool padded bag for laptops!) then get a sleeve to hold ur laptop before u put it into the deedog...

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 02:18 AM

the only thing about the commute, and tell me if yours is different, is that it has a tendency to fall forward; especially when the pb isn't in it. i basically have to prop it up against a chair or something to get it to stay up. if not for that, it would be perfect. the fit for a 15" can't be beat.
15 inches of aluminum fury

marusin
Senior User
May 10, 2004, 10:07 AM

I have the El Ocho with a Laptop Grip sleeve and it works for me and my 15"... I've had the bag for a while and just got the PB to replace my iBook. I will give you the warning that while the laptop is in a sleeve, it's just floating in the bag (not locked into the bag itself), but I don't mind this since this is the way I've been using it since I got it...

To me, the El Ocho is the perfect sized bag. When you start getting into the other bags, they get very big. To me, the DeeDog is way too big (but then again, that's my opinion)...

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by wy4tt:
the only thing about the commute, and tell me if yours is different, is that it has a tendency to fall forward; especially when the pb isn't in it. i basically have to prop it up against a chair or something to get it to stay up. if not for that, it would be perfect. the fit for a 15" can't be beat.
Yeah, that is one problem with it. The office I work in is really tiny and everyone's bags are piled up in a corner behind the door. Mine is the one that keeps falling over and knocking the door shut and everyone goes "whose bag is this!?!" I also keep a lot of stuff in the little organizer pocket thing, which probably makes it front-heavy. But there's something not right about the way the base is made. It's just not flat, it's like it was built at an angle. Weird. But I still love it. My coworkers just think otherwise.

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2004, 04:01 PM

This was the first bag I bought for my new PB. After about a week I decided that it offered little to no protection for my laptop and shortly thereafter purchased a Brenthaven, which offers much more protection for my laptop. If you do get a Timbuk2, I suggest not getting one of the custom fit ones, ie Commute, but instead opt for a regular messenger bag and then buy a separate sleeve to put your PB into because the Commute has *zero* protection for your laptop.
jesse ;-)

shadowofleaves  (op)
May 14, 2004, 02:00 AM

k so i just got the medium sized messenger...its huge!
i just have a radtech sleeve so i was wondering would my 15" fit in the smaller one? its 15" w and 10" h

thanks

Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 14, 2004, 02:38 AM

to be blunt and honest (dont take this the wrong way), the best thing to do is email the guys at timbuk2. they are in san francisco (techie central) and yes .. there's a apple store in the city. they know what powerbooks are, and have no doubt measured their bags to see what bags fit them best. email them and they will answer all of your questions better than we can. they live to make bags that fit things .. we dont all use timbuk2 (i do) lol ... great stuff.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 14, 2004, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by SnakeEyes:
I just bought a brand new 15" Powerbook and the Timbuk2 Commute is made specifically for a 15" notebook. It has a special compartment for the laptop, and it's pretty protective. I'm not sure if the bags you listed are intended to be used as a laptop bag. I may be wrong, let me know!
I am using the exact same bag. I really like it.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules