Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Printing Problems After Migration to New Mac

Printing Problems After Migration to New Mac
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2009, 10:54 AM

I'm not quite sure where to post this, but about a month ago I migrated from my wife's and my old PowerBooks to our new MacBook Pros. Everything seems fine except that we're having some printing problems within some/most/all apps.

Our Setup
We're both printing wirelessly to an HP inkjet printer via Time Capsule.

The Problem
We don't always experience a problem but it does seem pretty regular. We mostly notice it when printing from Pages and particularly when printing Pages files that were originally Word docs on our old systems.

When we experience the problem, the printer window says something like "Opening connection" and stays there indefinitely. Usually when it says, "Processing job," it works fine. Sometimes it eventually prints the doc; other times, it'll print some of pages, then start printing jibberish on a bunch of pages.

I still need to do some more checking/printing from other apps but thought I'd go ahead and post in case anyone had some ideas.

Thanks!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2009, 10:58 AM

you could try removing the printer from system preferences, and setting it up again.
or redoing the network (ie resetting it, and creating a new wireless network).
worked for me...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

OreoCookie
Aug 14, 2009, 11:15 AM

It would help if you told us which printer you have. Have you installed the latest drivers?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ibook_steve
Aug 14, 2009, 11:23 AM

Check Airport Utility and make sure the TC is still seeing the printer correctly. I've had this happen before with my AEBS which would require either unplugging and plugging the printer back in or restarting the base station.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have an HP 5150.

I have tried deleting/adding the printer previously. And I *thought* I had restarted Time Capsule (?), but I just now did that and was able to print a few files without any problems.

I'll keep an eye on it for now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules