Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Need help moving from PB to MBP

Need help moving from PB to MBP
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2009, 08:04 AM

My wife and I just ordered new MBPs to replace our aging PBs (which were our first Macs). Since we've never migrated from one Mac to another before, I would appreciate your help in making this process as smooth as possible.

For background, we have a wireless network setup at home, which we will also be upgrading from an AEBS to a Time Capsule, so we'll basically be setting up a new network as well.

So ...

1. What's the easiest way to transfer files and software from our PBs to the new MBPs? Is there anything we should do to our PBs beforehand? (I am hoping to do some file cleanup/reorganization first).

2. In what order should we do things?
- Setup new network with the Time Capsule
- Run Software Update
- Transfer files from PB to MBP
- Setup Time Machine to do an initial backup using Time Capsule

3. Anything else I need to know or think about?

Don't know if these are the right questions, but again, just want to make this as smooth of a process as possible.

Thanks!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2009, 11:14 AM

When you set up a new Mac you will be prompted by the Migration Assistant to copy over files from the PB to the MBP. One problem I foresee is that you will need either a firewire 400 -> firewire 800 cable or a spare ethernet cable to make the transfer. I'm not sure, but I don't think it works over wireless or usb. I could be wrong on that though since I have never used it before.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2009, 05:22 PM

Yes, buy one firewire cable.
If you are running OSX on the old computer, create a copy of your user file and save it on on the hard disk or a backup location.
Run software update and update everything on the new computer. Rebuild permissions and run software update again, etc.
Get new versions of Firefox and other free stuff online.
With your old computer off, connect the firewire cable to your new computer and then start the old one in target disk mode (by depressing the T key during startup).
Copy the backup user file to your new computer anywhere and keep it around just in case.
Then run migration assistant on your new MBP and let it move ONLY your user files.
Install MS Office and so on from the original disks.

Additionally, you may want to copy applications like Appleworks directly as it does not need migration assistant.
sam

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2009, 06:23 PM

Thanks, guys. I think I can follow that.

Fortunately, I already have a Firewire cable.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2009, 02:22 AM

Do NOT "migrate" applications. It is the equivalent of moving from one house to another and intentionally carting all the junk, insects, rodents, dirt, dust bunnies, etc. to the new house. Instead when you move to a new box do fresh installs of the latest version of apps on the current OS. That is the only way to do it if you want to maximize long term stability. Carefully follow the directions in SVass's post.

-Allen Wicks

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2009, 02:26 AM

I've used the "automatic migration" hundreds of times with hardly ever a hiccup.

You people are paranoid.

edit: I can't believe none of you have recommended repairing permissions before and after the transfer.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2009, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
edit: I can't believe none of you have recommended repairing permissions before and after the transfer.
After I can tolerate, but doing it before would be completely pointless.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2009, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
After I can tolerate, but doing it before would be completely pointless.
I have your clever graphic (hosted by me) ready to go at a moments notice...

I was trying to point out that the built in migration assistant is a pretty damn reliable utility. All the talk about "don't migrate apps" etc, is overblown in my opinion.

Try it. The worst that can happen is that you have to wipe/install from the provided DVD's and start over. If it's a brand new machine, you've lost nothing but a small amount of time.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2009, 03:31 AM

Yeah, I haven't really had any problems either with Migration Assistant so far, and I've used it to migrate three new machines, as well as restoring from Time Machine after a few erase-and-installs.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2009, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
[...] Carefully follow the directions in SVass's post.
Originally Posted by SVass View Post
[...] If you are running OSX on the old computer, create a copy of your user file and save it on on the hard disk or a backup location.

[...]

Copy the backup user file to your new computer anywhere and keep it around just in case.
Then run migration assistant on your new MBP and let it move ONLY your user files. [...]
Thanks for ALL the advice in this thread.

After reviewing SVass's instructions, I'd like to make sure I understand the part related to copying/backing-up my "user file" (since I've never done it). That is, where exactly do I find it and where do I copy it to (old PB, external drive, etc.)? Sorry. These are probably basic questions, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing.

And, the purpose is primarily back-up, right?

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2009, 08:59 AM

Also, re: moving apps, because it's my first migration, I will probably err on the side of paranoia.

I won't have a lot of apps to add anyway (iWork will have to be added to one of them, thanks to the family pack installed on the other). I will add Fireworks (on mine) and I'm going to do my best to live without MS Office; you may recall my recent thread, Do I really need MS Word? (but I *may* need to add it to my wife's MBP).

Otherwise, I'll download a number of free downloads directly (Firefox, etc.). But what's the best way to migrate apps like OmniOutliner, OmniGraffle, and GraphicConverter (i.e., apps that are only on my PB that may or may not be free downloads)? These came with my previous PB (I have a paid upgrade of OmniGraffle and may upgrade OmniOutliner unless I search/find something else).

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by TribeLeader View Post
Also, re: moving apps, because it's my first migration, I will probably err on the side of paranoia.

I won't have a lot of apps to add anyway (iWork will have to be added to one of them, thanks to the family pack installed on the other). I will add Fireworks (on mine) and I'm going to do my best to live without MS Office; you may recall my recent thread, Do I really need MS Word? (but I *may* need to add it to my wife's MBP).

Otherwise, I'll download a number of free downloads directly (Firefox, etc.). But what's the best way to migrate apps like OmniOutliner, OmniGraffle, and GraphicConverter (i.e., apps that are only on my PB that may or may not be free downloads)? These came with my previous PB (I have a paid upgrade of OmniGraffle and may upgrade OmniOutliner unless I search/find something else).
Download a fresh copy of GraphicConverter. I know nothing about the others.
Yes, I apologize for saying Rebuild permissions instead of Repair permissions before and after updating software. (I am paranoid and I did work in both a serious software and hardware development area.)

Assuming that you are running OSX, open your disk icon normally called Macintosh HD and in the long list of names, you will find one labelled Users. In there you will find at least two folders, one labelled Shared and a second with a House icon. That second one is your user folder and should contain all of your files as well as your favorites from Firefox and your mail. That is the one that should be duplicated and copied to your new hard disk.
sam

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2009, 03:46 PM

Download NeoOffice as it is an adequate replacement for MS Office.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 3, 2009, 05:00 PM

Ultimate advice on moving from PB to MBP:

"Yes, this is my truck. No I will not help you move."

Enjoy those MBPs!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2009, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by SVass View Post
[...] Assuming that you are running OSX [...]
Yeah, I should clarify that I'm currently running OS X 10.4.11.

Thanks again!

Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2009, 12:11 PM

Given that you're going from a PowerPC to an Intel machine, it'll probably be better to re-install all the apps. Otherwise though, I'll attest to Migration Assistant working fine for me every time (even from PowerPC to Intel, though that one crippled a couple apps.)

gentryfunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2009, 07:38 PM

Howdy,

Just thought I'd add my .02; I just completed this process about 1 month ago using an ethernet cable connection (could not find a 400->800 Firewire cable in Albuquerque). I moved my files from the PB (last 15" version before the Intel shift) separately from the "automatic" migration process. I wanted a clean install and installed software directly into the new system and not as a migration from the PB. In my experience, the best and fastest setup is always the clean install. I completely agree with those who say do not migrate your data between machines. Too many problems can occur.

Once I completed the transfer of files, I wiped the PB, reinstalled the OS, and sold that puppy for $600.00.

Good luck!
15" MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4 GB RAM
and....17" iMac C2D
and....Mac Classic II (still running well)
and.....a couple of homebuilt game machines and other ancient stuff like OS/2, BeOS, and Windows 2.0!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 5, 2009, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by gentryfunk View Post
Howdy,
I completely agree with those who say do not migrate your data between machines. Too many problems can occur.
So you didn't use the migration assistant, yet are willing to state that "Too many problems can occur."?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2009, 02:58 AM

MA is the way to go with very few exceptions.

Even if you migrate an old PPC app by accident you can always delete it later and download an updated UB or Intel version afterwards. Same goes for extensions. Even if you migrate an incompatible one, you just safe reboot, delete it, done.

In any case, even if MA screws up big time, what have you lost? You can always wipe, install a vanilla OS X, and migrate from your backup manually. But there's next to no good reason not to try out the simpler and faster MA approach first.
( Last edited by Simon; Jul 6, 2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: edit)
•

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2009, 10:39 AM

Thanks again for all the help.

My wife's MBP shipped a few hours ago (estimated Thursday delivery). Hope mine ships soon!

Question: Is there anything in my user file that I shouldn't migrate or do I just delete what I don't need on the MBP after migration? I'm thinking mainly of things in /Library (i.e., caches, application support for apps I won't use on the new system, etc.)

Thanks!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2009, 11:35 AM

You can delete stuff manually after migration. Just drag it to the trash.

Manually deleting a few things after migrating with MA will in any case be faster than trying to migrate manually.

But unless you have a specific reason to get rid of something (prefs of an app you no longer have, PPC-only app, etc.) there's no real reason to go on large scale search and destroy mission. Caches that need to be rebuilt will be rebuilt by the system. No user intervention required.
•

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2009, 01:36 PM

Thanks again for all the help.
My wife's MBP shipped a few hours ago (estimated Thursday delivery). Hope mine ships soon!
Question: Is there anything in my user file that I shouldn't migrate or do I just delete what I don't need on the MBP after migration? I'm thinking mainly of things in /Library (i.e., caches, application support for apps I won't use on the new system, etc.)
Thanks!
When I back up my user file, I do the following:
Run Onyx and clear out all caches
Copy the file to the hard disk
Go to System preferences/spotlight/privacy and set it to NOT index the copy
In the copy, Go to Library/Indexes and throw out the folders-They might be 200 megabytes or more!
Then I copy the file to another hard disk. Note that I have directly inserted said copy into a bootable disk user file and it appears to work normally as is.
sam

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2009, 06:32 PM

I believe I can handle that, but just to clarify a couple things:

(1) I don't see a Library/Indexes folder in my user file (I'm assuming that doesn't matter).

(2) Re: "copy the file to another hard disk," does that mean copying it to an external hard drive, then to new computer later in the process?

Also, I've never used Onyx before, but I'm assuming that will be straightforward enough.
( Last edited by TribeLeader; Jul 7, 2009 at 07:42 AM. )

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2009, 10:18 AM

I believe I can handle that, but just to clarify a couple things:

(1) I don't see a Library/Indexes folder in my user file (I'm assuming that doesn't matter).

(2) Re: "copy the file to another hard disk," does that mean copying it to an external hard drive, then to new computer later in the process?

Also, I've never used Onyx before, but I'm assuming that will be straightforward enough.
Spotlight (in OSX) indexes your hard disk and saves its database which are a large set of files. Some other expert might choose to explain why you do not have said file.
Onyx is an application that repairs permissions, empties caches, and runs scheduled maintenance functions. It is not necessary but is convenient.
I copy the file to another hard disk as my normal backup and I exchange copies with my spouse's laptop so that we back each other up.
You should have a spare copy of your old files on your new computer in case Migration misses something.
sam

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2009, 09:27 AM

Alright, my wife's computer is "out for delivery" today and mine *should* follow tomorrow so I'll be doing to migration soon (hopefully tomorrow/Friday).

Re: APPLICATIONS, it looks like I have one (OmniGraffle) that I will have to transfer to the new computer, since I don't have discs for it (it was an downloadable upgrade to bundled software included with a previous OS).

What's the best way to move it to from the PPC Mac to Intel Mac (it's a universal app)? I could probably move it wirelessly, I suppose. Should I avoid using Migration Assistant to move it?

Thanks!
( Last edited by TribeLeader; Jul 9, 2009 at 11:30 PM. )

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2009, 10:31 PM

My wife's MBP arrived Thursday and mine followed on Friday. I spent a good bit of Friday night setting both of them up. It was a very smooth process, but it took a while.

Thanks again for all the advice!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 12, 2009, 10:23 AM

My wife's MBP arrived Thursday and mine followed on Friday. I spent a good bit of Friday night setting both of them up. It was a very smooth process, but it took a while.

But in taking a while, you got them set up the way you wanted, right? In other words, "a very smooth process" meant that there were no major issues, and only an occasional wait for newer software to download and/or update, right? That's the way it's supposed to be. Glad you're enjoying your new machines.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2009, 10:00 PM

As GHPorter said, we are glad that you are happy. My only other suggestion is to maintain a copy of your original files until you are absolutely 200% positive that you did not lose anything and then keep said file for a while longer.
sam

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2009, 05:08 PM

Yes, we plan to hang onto our backups for a while.

Re: the time it took, part of that was simply making sure I didn't mess anything up. :-)

Still getting used to the new machines AND the new OS (we were still using 10.4). Enjoying the machines and Leopard (and looking forward to Snow Leopard!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules