Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Mac Fonts

Mac Fonts
freshermonu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 06:05 AM

Hi All
I am new in this group. i face a problem regarding Mac fonts.I am working with VC++.

some fonts of mac operating system are not compatible to windows
operating system. what are these fonts ? why these fonts are not compatible to windows operating system ?

And Last question how these fonts make compatible to windows operating system ? Please help me.

Thanks In Advance
Monu

larkost
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 02:10 PM

Why are you asking a Windows developer question in a Mac forum? Very few (if any) people here use VisualStudio... since it is proprietary to Windows...

Second... I realize that English might not be your native language, but your question is not easily understood. You aren't telling us what you are trying to do, what fonts you are trying to use, what is going wrong, and what you would like help with. Are the fonts PostScript Fonts? TrueType? BitMap? OpenType? etc... Have you done any research?

freshermonu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2004, 03:22 AM

Hi
I just want to know the name of fonts of mac system that not available in windows operating sytem.

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2004, 02:48 PM

OS X uses TrueType, Postscript, and OpenType fonts.

There are different flavors of TrueType. You might have to convert from Mac format to Win format.

larkost
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by freshermonu:
Hi
I just want to know the name of fonts of mac system that not available in windows operating sytem.
From the default installs? There is little to no overlap. Apple creates, or has created, its own system fonts. These are proprietary (just like Microsoft's system fonts), and thus there is no way you can legally use them on Windows.

If you are talking about other fonts, as arekkusu pointed out, there are a lot of different font systems, and most of them are supported (to one extent or another) on both platforms.

Many people have Microsoft Office installed on both platforms, and there are some simmilar fonts in that collection (notice: they are not the same fonts version-to-version. Ones with the same names are similar, but can have different font metrics, even if you are only talking about the Windows platform).

If you tell us what you are really doing, then maybe we can give you a good answer. Until you do, no-one will be able to help you.

freshermonu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 01:33 AM

Hi

Thanks for this response.Actually my problem is to change these mac fonts(which is not in windows ) to windows ? is it any reference or related code thats help me ?

thanks in advance

freshermonu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2004, 07:43 AM

Hi All

Anyone have some idea about the problem mentioned above.
Please help me solve this problem . I am very thankful to you

hayesk
Sep 13, 2004, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by freshermonu:
Hi All

Anyone have some idea about the problem mentioned above.
Please help me solve this problem . I am very thankful to you
Are you planning on taking Mac fonts and distributing them with your Windows product? If so, that is not legal and that is probably why nobody has posted the solution.

Tell us why you want to convert the fonts, and maybe someone can help. There are ways of converting the fonts. If you stick with using Times, Helvetica, and Courier - those are typically installed on Macs and Windows and you won't need to convert anything.

freshermonu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 02:12 AM

Hi
i just want to know what is difference these fonts thats why they are not installed in windows operating system . what is the main files that is responsible for that(that does not support for windows).

thanks in advance

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 07:09 AM

Apple licenses these fonts from their foundries, or created the fonts in-house. Apple installs them as a part of installing the Mac OS X operating system, hence, they're present on a Mac.

Microsoft licenses different fonts from different foundries, or creates different fonts in-house. Microsoft installs those as a part of installing the operating system.

There's no real reason that the two companies would decide to license or create the same fonts.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

freshermonu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2004, 01:14 AM

Hi
Thanks for help. this really help me to know the differences.
Is there any way, these mac fonts are also available in windows operating system? Is there any API's(windows) for these mac fonts
are also available in windows operating system?

Thanks In Advance

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2004, 06:10 AM

While you certainly can convert a Mac truetype font to work on Windows, there is no legal way for you to put the Mac-only fonts (Lucida Grande, Hiragino, etc) on a Windows machine. It says so in the OS X EULA:

The software ... and any fonts accompanying this License whether on disk, in read only memory, on any other media or in any other form (collectively the “Apple Software”) are licensed, not sold, to you by Apple Computer, Inc. (“Apple”) for use only under the terms of this License ... This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.

If your problem is to substitute Windows fonts for missing Mac fonts in documents that you have to deal with, my suggestions are:

1) google for font substitution. There's no way to get an exact match, but there are probably tables of common fonts and similar substitutions.
2) use a document format like PDF that embeds fonts, and bypass this entire problem.

freshermonu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2004, 09:44 AM

Hi

I am not getting your pointsthat you mentioned in post.can you provide me related matrialor reference.I am very thankful to you.

thanks in advance

Forum Links
Forum Rules