Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE plug in problems

IE plug in problems
painless dentist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2001, 11:38 AM

I am using IE 5 for Mac and it seems unable to recognize any media files. This is despite having tried to reinstall the browser and every media player I can think of (quicktime, realplayer, MSplayer). In fact, frightengly enough, the only one it consistently recognizes is the MS player. I fear something may be screwy with my plugins....

symptoms include:

1. IE will not open an image . For instance, if i click on a link to view an image IE asks for an application to use rather than simply displaying the image in a browser window.

2. Despite having downloaded and installed Quicktime 5, when i go to Apple's website and click on a movie trailer requiring QT 5 i am immediately presented with a webpage saying i need to download QT5. It seems the server is not recognizing that i have installed the program on my computer. I have repeatedly reinstalled the program to no avail.

3. When i try to open some real media files I recieve a notice indicating that I have not installed RealPlayerG2 plugin ....despite the fact that i have installed the latest version.

any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated.
thank you in advance,

<skye>
Aug 17, 2001, 12:34 PM

sounds like you might want to throw away your preferences file( system folder/preferences), just throw away the whole IE folder, it might be hidden in a folder called microsoft so do some hunting before you throw away something else.

this will give you a fresh start, which reinstalling may not be doing, a lot of time your prefs will not be replaced.

your other option is to go into the prefs from within the app, and configure them correctly, like when it sees an image type jpg, it should open using explorer, instead of looking for another app. good luck

CityGuy2003
Aug 17, 2001, 12:49 PM

i was just reading something in this morning's washington post that may relate to this:

"The new 'Service Pack 2' upgrade for Microsoft's Internet Explorer 5.5, released July 31, renders Apple's QuickTime plug-in unusable in that Web browser, as wll as a test version of IE 6. With IE 5.5 SP2 (as the revised version is called), Microsoft has discontinued support for a standard for browser plug-ins orginally developed by competitor Netscape; it now only supports Microsoft's ActiveX software-integration technology. Apple and Microsoft are reportedly working to fix the problem; representitives from them did not return calls yesterday"

<unregistered>
Aug 17, 2001, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by CityGuy2003:
<STRONG>i was just reading something in this morning's washington post that may relate to this:

"The new 'Service Pack 2' upgrade for Microsoft's Internet Explorer 5.5, released July 31, renders Apple's QuickTime plug-in unusable in that Web browser, as wll as a test version of IE 6. With IE 5.5 SP2 (as the revised version is called), Microsoft has discontinued support for a standard for browser plug-ins orginally developed by competitor Netscape; it now only supports Microsoft's ActiveX software-integration technology. Apple and Microsoft are reportedly working to fix the problem; representitives from them did not return calls yesterday"</STRONG>
This only applies to Windows users.

Fredo
Senior User
Aug 18, 2001, 03:34 PM

painless dentist,
I assume that by IE5, you mean IE5.0. If so, try this: open IE. In the menu go to "Edit" - "preferences". Click the "receiving files" arrow. Highlite "cookies". Where it says "when receiving cookies", make sure that "never ask" is selected. Then reinstall Q.T. 5.
You can put QT plugins into any browser plug in folder. Make sure the plug in is in the folder, and if not, copy it from QuickTime. Hope this helps.

[ 08-18-2001: Message edited by: Fredo ]
Who are the Brain Police?

oneleft
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2001, 04:40 PM

I'm still amazed at the amount of Mac people that continue to use MS products. Geesh, there are options. The new Netscape 6.1 is proving to be a darn good browser with just a few minor fixes needed.
The whole Quicktime issue is the same ol' song and dance from MS. They'll force you to use their stuff one way or another.
Got MS problems (who doesn't)? Don't like them forcing things down your throat? Don't use 'em!

Fredo
Senior User
Aug 18, 2001, 07:46 PM

I use Netscape 4.78, and AOL 5.0 as well as IE. That's the great thing about America, you get to choose what you want.
Who are the Brain Police?

Forum Links
Forum Rules