Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Which Program?

Which Program?
benguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 06:26 PM

Hi,
I would like to make 2D art for games, and I am wondering what program I should use. I would want the graphics to look sort of like Mario, by that I mean bright, colorful, antialiased. Could you please recomend a program for me. Thanks.
-Ben

Edit: Also I forgot to mention I will be making the games in Java.
( Last edited by benguru; Jan 26, 2004 at 06:42 PM. )

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 11:10 PM

photoshop?

benguru  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 11:44 PM

Hi,
I read a little about Photoshop, and it seems good, but expensive. Do you have any examples of cartoonish graphics made in Photoshop. That would help me make my descision. Thanks.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 12:28 AM

Just for the record, if you want graphics to look like NES Mario, the word is 'aliased' not 'antialiased'.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2004, 12:32 AM

I'm afraid good and expensive tend to go together. Tend. I think your choice depends heavily on the kind of game you're making. Are you hoping to create fluid animation? Character modeling? Static sprites? I know the folks at Ambrosia used 3D modeling apps heavily in making EV: Nova, a 2D game, to add a feeling of depth and detail. But this also fit their market, budget, time constraints, personnel, etc.

Is this your first game?
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 02:55 AM

hol' up. if its 2D there are no ifs or ands abouts it. its photoshop, that IS your option. if you are modeling however, thats a whole other ballgame.

benguru  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2004, 08:52 AM

Hi,
First I did mean antialiased, I don't want it to look exactly similar to Mario just close. Also I would be making small animations for the characters. And I guess I will download a Photoshop trial. Thanks

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 02:00 PM

MUCH cheaper and just the right number of features may be the Photoshop elements. I don't think it comes with Imageready which could help in previewing your animations.

But elements has all the power of Photoshop-full without the cost. There are some issues with layers, and not having CMYK and a few other areas.

Try both demos and see which you can afford. Elements is a great app for its price and features.

Forum Links
Forum Rules