Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Olympics!

The Olympics! (Page 2)
aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2010, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
They can ride the failopotamus home.
You should be proud of your athletes. The US won more medals than any other country. You guys can't win at everything.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2010, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
You should be proud of your athletes. The US won more medals than any other country. You guys can't win at everything.
Indeed. We set a record for most medals ever won at a Winter Olympics, and Canada set a record for most gold medals ever won. Neither is anything to sneer at.

Re: the point about pros playing in the Olympics, they were banned prior to 1988, I think. The Olympic rules changed that year, but I think the NHL wouldn't let their guys play (because it's in the middle of the season) until the '98 Nagano games.

Amateurs from capitalist countries can't compete with the kind of support those from the USSR, East Germany and now China got without serious corporate sponsorship. Look at how well the Chinese have been doing, for a country without a tradition of raising kids to play winter sports. That's not coming from those sports becoming suddenly popular over there, it's because the state is able to train them from a young age to compete and win gold medals. It's their job.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 01:26 AM

My favorite musical act in the closing ceremonies: MIchael Buble. He sounded great on SNL a few weeks ago too... Glad to claim that talent as one of our own!

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2010, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
My favorite musical act in the closing ceremonies: MIchael Buble. He sounded great on SNL a few weeks ago too... Glad to claim that talent as one of our own!
But the real question is: Do you claim Nickelback?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
But the real question is: Do you claim Nickelback?

I didn't really care for anybody but Buble, although that Kaos group was cool too. I'm a pretty devout jazz musician though, so I don't really listen to a whole lot of pop or mainstream music.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 01:44 AM

I just found out that Nathan Fillion is Canadian too.... There are a ton of Canadian sci-fi actors out there!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2010, 01:53 AM

They sandbagged it with a bunch of first loser and second loser medals. Canada won the real medal count.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2010, 03:12 AM

They sandbagged it with a bunch of first loser and second loser medals. Canada won the real medal count.
Your county's athletes got 9 gold medals. When you are earning Silvers or bronze in a field composed of the best of the best of the world, it is not losing to come in second.

Finland had to fight hard to get their bronze medal when they were beat by the US. Maybe you should learn something from countries like Finland and Canada.

When Jenn Heil got a silver instead of a gold, she was initially disappointed but ended up feeling that she did not lose because she came in second when she gave her best performance and the American girl just happened to come down the hill a little bit faster.

There were a lot of events that had a lot of competitors and Canada felt good about even placing in the top ten in some of the cross country events.

The only athletes that really lost were the ones that did not try their hardest.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2010, 03:34 AM

The only athletes that really lost were the ones that did not try their hardest.
Plus the one that wrapped himself around a steel beam and the Dutch guy who pussed out because he was scared and the rest of his team couldn't compete. I'd say they all really lost.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2010, 10:21 AM

I figure it's personal bests that really count. Our cross-country ski team didn't win squat for medals, but we actually had seven top-10 finishes and an extraordinary number of personal-best finishes; yesterday we were 1.6 seconds away from gold (ended up 5th) in the 50-km mass start - an event in which we've placed outside the top-30 since, like, forever. We've really never been much of a nordic skiing country so it's fantastic to see athletes step up on the big stage like they never have before.

It's the choking that gets me. Canada started fairly poorly and I think we were bracing for the worst, but we ended up not having much of it these Olympics, and a surprising amount of stepping-it-up moments instead. Pretty awesome.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I just found out that Nathan Fillion is Canadian too.... There are a ton of Canadian sci-fi actors out there!
That's because for some reason they film most TV sci-fi in Vancouver. It's just amazing how many alien planets look just like BC forests...

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
That's because for some reason they film most TV sci-fi in Vancouver. It's just amazing how many alien planets look just like BC forests...
A friend of mine kept calling it the Caprica City games.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 01:19 PM

Canada in general is offering aggressive incentives for people to make movies there, more so than California.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
yesterday we were 1.6 seconds away from gold (ended up 5th) in the 50-km mass start - an event in which we've placed outside the top-30 since, like, forever.
The 50km cross-country was amazing.

Gold and Silver were separated by 0.2 sec.

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2010, 02:10 PM

Your county's athletes got 9 gold medals. When you are earning Silvers or bronze in a field composed of the best of the best of the world, it is not losing to come in second.
Actually, it is. The US lost to Canada in hockey, making them the top loser. Despite what kindergarten teachers may say we can't all be winners. There's only one winner and a field of losers.

Trying your hardest is unrelated to winning or even doing well.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2010, 02:24 PM

mduell is right. The athletes who realistically know that they have no hope of earning a medal shouldn't even bother showing up. [/sarcasm]

IMO, winning the silver in men's hockey is a significant achievement for the United States. I think most people going into the tournament expected Canada and Russia to battle for gold, and that the United States would be fighting Sweden, Finland or the Czech Republic for bronze. That we beat Canada once in the process is a bonus.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 02:38 PM

I think it's the heart of the American inferiority complex and their problems with the rest of the world that you can only be either NUMBER ONE or a Loser.

black and white and dumb all over, as it were.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 02:46 PM

They give out three medals for a reason. I suppose mduell thinks that's pointless.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2010, 03:59 PM

Actually, it is. The US lost to Canada in hockey, making them the top loser. Despite what kindergarten teachers may say we can't all be winners. There's only one winner and a field of losers.
True as this is in the technical sense, in "real life" almost anyone can be beaten on any given day. The margin of error is so small in these competitions that it's close to pure luck whether you get gold, silver or bronze.

I mean, in that cross-country relay we were talking about: 50 kilometres on skis, over two hours, and the difference between first and second is 2 tenths of a second? That's probably one pole slip over the course of the race... one stride that wasn't quite perfect, out of thousands. Second place in the world might not be what you want, and it certainly hurts like a bitch, but it's ludicrous to think that it's not 98% as awesome as finishing first.

Trying your hardest is unrelated to winning or even doing well.
...but all those people who got gold medals all tried their hardest. It might not be sufficient, but it's a requirement.

greg

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 04:07 PM

...but all those people who got gold medals all tried their hardest. It might not be sufficient, but it's a requirement.
Not quite always.

Shaun White's first run earned him Gold, but he didn't even try his hardest.

He tried his hardest the second run (Double McTwist 1260), where he scored even higher.

-t

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Not quite always.

Shaun White's first run earned him Gold, but he didn't even try his hardest.

He tried his hardest the second run (Double McTwist 1260), where he scored even higher.

-t
It's true that it's hard to account for being that much better than everyone else!

Having said that, I feel your statement is incorrect. You're mixing "trying your hardest" with "level of difficulty of performance."

These athletes - Shaun included - all "try their hardest" no matter what they're including in their program. If I might equate this to men's figure skating, Lysacek wasn't "not trying his hardest" because he didn't include a quad in his program. That was a conscious decision on his part, to attempt slightly less-difficult jumps but make up for it in other areas of the program. He still "tried his hardest" on the performance that he gave, and he would not have "tried harder" had he attempted a quad.

I think you can apply that logic to most of the "subjective judging" sports - aerials, moguls, yadda yadda. Take aerials, where many jumpers deliberately lower the difficultly level of their jump, in order to more perfectly execute a less-difficult jump. They're still trying their hardest on both types of jumps.

It's the same thing with Shaun. He didn't include the Double McTwist because he wanted his first run to be a "perfect" run with slightly less difficultly. After that he could assess the field, and depending on where he stood up the difficulty level if required. But he was still "trying his hardest" in that first run.

(Now that I think about it... do you think it might even be the opposite of what you've said? That he wasn't "trying as hard" the second run? After all at that point he'd already won - and I've read that there's been studies that show athletes actually perform better when all the pressure's off. Maybe his run was so great because he wasn't trying his hardest?! Anyways, that's a pretty random thought but it's a cool possibility in any case.)

greg

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 04:37 PM

It's the same thing with Shaun. He didn't include the Double McTwist because he wanted his first run to be a "perfect" run with slightly less difficultly. After that he could assess the field, and depending on where he stood up the difficulty level if required. But he was still "trying his hardest" in that first run.
That doesn't make sense.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 04:40 PM

It's true that it's hard to account for being that much better than everyone else!

Having said that, I feel your statement is incorrect. You're mixing "trying your hardest" with "level of difficulty of performance."

These athletes - Shaun included - all "try their hardest" no matter what they're including in their program. If I might equate this to men's figure skating, Lysacek wasn't "not trying his hardest" because he didn't include a quad in his program. That was a conscious decision on his part, to attempt slightly less-difficult jumps but make up for it in other areas of the program. He still "tried his hardest" on the performance that he gave, and he would not have "tried harder" had he attempted a quad.

I think you can apply that logic to most of the "subjective judging" sports - aerials, moguls, yadda yadda. Take aerials, where many jumpers deliberately lower the difficultly level of their jump, in order to more perfectly execute a less-difficult jump. They're still trying their hardest on both types of jumps.

(Now that I think about it... do you think it might even be the opposite of what you've said? That he wasn't "trying as hard" the second run? After all at that point he'd already won - and I've read that there's been studies that show athletes actually perform better when all the pressure's off. Maybe his run was so great because he wasn't trying his hardest?! Anyways, that's a pretty random thought but it's a cool possibility in any case.)

greg
I agree that the phrase "trying the hardest" is subjective.

But as for the rest of your post, you just took what I said and turned it into the complete opposite.
Well played

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
mduell is right. The athletes who realistically know that they have no hope of earning a medal shouldn't even bother showing up. [/sarcasm]
We'd have one fewer death if the rank amateurs from the third (er, second) world who have no realistic shot at winning (or even a participation medal) didn't show up.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
They give out three medals for a reason. I suppose mduell thinks that's pointless.
I do.

Nope. People with high levels of skill don't have to go all out to beat those without it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 05:24 PM

Of course, that breaks down when ALL participants have high levels of skill.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 05:26 PM

I do.
Then I don't think you quite grasp the concept of the Olympics.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2010, 05:42 PM

We'd have one fewer death if the rank amateurs from the third (er, second) world who have no realistic shot at winning (or even a participation medal) didn't show up.
Perhaps. However, crashes by experienced and even championship luge athletes were a regular occurrence during training runs this year before the track was adjusted. In any event, there is a difference between someone who is completely unqualified and someone who simply isn't thought of as being in contention for the top spot in their sport. The aforementioned Canadian cross-country skiers, for example.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2010, 06:00 PM

That doesn't make sense.
Why not? You think that athletes who do a slightly-less-difficult program are trying less hard during that program?

The "trying" (e.g. "effort") and the "level of difficulty" are mutually exclusive. Would Shaun White be "trying harder" if he took a run and kept failing at tricks that are impossible, e.g. a McTwist 3600? He would just be falling all the time. He would be giving the exact same effort has he did when he made his first run at the Olympics.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I agree that the phrase "trying the hardest" is subjective.

But as for the rest of your post, you just took what I said and turned it into the complete opposite.
Well played

-t
I didn't say "trying your hardest" is subjective. So I'm not sure what you're agreeing with.

Otherwise, I don't understand. You said that Shaun White didn't try his hardest during his first run; instead, he was trying harder during his second run, because the level of difficulty was slightly higher.

I'm saying that's incorrect. At this level of competition every athlete has to try their hardest during every performance, no matter if there's slight variations in the difficulty of that performance.

greg

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 06:31 PM

Why not? You think that athletes who do a slightly-less-difficult program are trying less hard during that program?

The "trying" (e.g. "effort") and the "level of difficulty" are mutually exclusive. Would Shaun White be "trying harder" if he took a run and kept failing at tricks that are impossible, e.g. a McTwist 3600? He would just be falling all the time. He would be giving the exact same effort has he did when he made his first run at the Olympics.
He tried less hard because he thought he could get away with it, and sometimes it pays to be conservative. It happens all the time in sports, and often even in the Olympics.

Also, you see runners ease up at the end of races for some showboating, because they can get away with it if they're leading. It's also quite common in qualifying heats, because they're "saving" themselves for the final race.

Hell, for the summer Olympics, the US basketball team has been known to put on their second stream team because they can get away with it, just to give the second string some practice. In that sense the US isn't trying its hardest. In fact, if they did, they might be criticized for blowing away Team Zimbabwe 145:10.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2010, 09:01 PM

Hell, for the summer Olympics, the US basketball team has been known to put on their second stream team because they can get away with it, just to give the second string some practice. In that sense the US isn't trying its hardest. In fact, if they did, they might be criticized for blowing away Team Zimbabwe 145:10.
See: 2004 Olympics in Athens

greg

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2010, 09:18 PM

99 out of 100 armchair critics could not do a fraction what an Olympic athlete can do, in any sport, from any country.

That we won against the US in hockey was pure luck in the end - both teams played as well as they could and gave their all. An Olympic silver medal is nothing to sneeze at.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 11:23 PM

See: 2004 Olympics in Athens
Yep. That's what happens sometimes when they don't actually get away with it. However, you conveniently did not mention previous competitions (including Olympics).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
99 out of 100 armchair critics...
I have never in my life criticized an armchair

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 02:01 AM

I don't like the La-Z-Boys much.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2010, 02:11 AM

Let me have your attention for a moment! Put that silver medal down! We're adding a little something to this year's Olympic contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody want to see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2010, 12:56 PM

I didn't realize how much medal inflation there has been in the last 22 years. Easy to set absolute records when you have so much more to work with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules