Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > TV on Mac

TV on Mac
Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2010, 06:09 PM

Hi all,

I haven't posted a question on here for a LONG time, so here goes. My ATI Eye TV tuner melted today, so it's time to replace it. Now, I'm on an old G5 Mac, running 10.4.11, so nothing too serious will work, but, what are my options? What do all of you use, and what are your opinions? I'm looking for something to record TV shows with, etc. I have a cable hookup right at my computer, so I'm ready to go with that. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thank you,
Tom

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2010, 06:18 PM

elgato FTW.

Madison  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2010, 06:27 PM

I can't find anything called an "Elgato FTW" anywhere. Is it called something else?

Thanks,
Tom

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2010, 06:29 PM

What he means is "Elgato For TV Watching".

Madison  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2010, 06:30 PM

Ah, thanks. As I said, I've been away for a LONG time.

Tom

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2010, 11:04 AM

What's FTW. Internet for beginners.

Quick note: You could also buy the software EyeTV from elgato and some 3rd. party supported tuner. I run EyeTV 3.4 with a pc-ish (supposed to be Windows only) USB tuner stick from Hauppauge. Runs great with a Power Mac G4 MDD (2003) and a Mac Pro.

So if you happen to have some PC tuner, you might need just the EyeTV software. Give it a look at elgato compatibility webpage.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2010, 01:07 PM

Over here, the cheapest elgato Stick is 20€ cheaper including the software than the software on its own.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2010, 07:59 PM

One thing you should be aware of: cable companies are currently rushing to add encryption to all the non-broadcast-level channels (after recently getting permission to stop carrying them in analog versions, which IFAIK couldn't be encrypted). So you might save yourself a later headache if you get something that's compatible with a cable box, rather than something that replaces the cable box.

The industry's preferred solution for this is CableCard, which currently can't be done on Macs. But since you don't sound like you're about to replace your whole system, you probably don't want to worry about CableCard. Elgato just unveiled their alternative to CableCard, the "EyeTV HD", which includes a little gizmo to act as the cable box's remote so it can still change channels, even though the cable company forces you to use their own box to do tuning and decryption.

Just something to think about, that you might never notice until it's too late. Even if your channels aren't encrypted right now, they might be soon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules