Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 'Semi-Pro': Switchfrom from PS to PS Elements - good idea?!

'Semi-Pro': Switchfrom from PS to PS Elements - good idea?!
HamSandwich
Jun 14, 2012, 02:02 PM

Hello!

My mum and I are thinking about switching from Photoshop to Photoshop Elements. Truth be told, we are no Pro PS users. We know enough about images and photography to make use of it and we learnt it pretty well during the years, but we don't use much of it (no plug-ins, no huge formats; mostly private editing of digital photos, scanning old photos and working them over, having them printed; and then we just go with it whenever something that's like a digital image has to be refined somewhat).

I'm wondering if switching would be right - and I think yes. We have Photoshop CS 2, you see... We got a cheap teachers version many years ago and as it still worked with Rosetta, well; but now...
So we thought the change would be benificial as Photoshop Elements (version 10) would be more modern, offer most functions we need - and I thought that it includes many automated processes, so some things you often use are simply easier (if you don't care so much about some details in between).
And then we thought we could use the photo management rather well, which I have read is included, too. Is that good? Or do you recommend iPhoto or something else?

Any advice? Is this a good/bad idea? Any experiences from people with Elements?

Still thinking... Thanks!
PeterPaker

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2012, 05:07 PM

I did something similar, but from Elements to Pixelmator. I found that for basic editing and retouching purposes, you often don't need anything from Adobe at all.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2012, 08:38 PM

PS is total overkill at a high price. Elements, Pixelmator as per last post, and Graphic Converter together will cost a fraction of PS and do all you can imagine. And then, there is always the free Gimp.

Forum Links
Forum Rules