Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How do I force routing through network port?

How do I force routing through network port?
rnb2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 12:57 AM

I just bought a 17" iMac to go along with my 1.83GHz MacBook. For internet, I have both connecting to my router via wireless, and have run a CAT5 cable directly between the wired network ports, to facilitate Gigabit networking between the two machines without buying a separate Gigabit switch.

Testing indicates that transferring files between the two machines is still going through the wireless router, rather than using the direct physical connection. What's the easiest way to force the two machines to use the Gigabit connection rather than the wireless? They are both self-assigning DHCP addresses that seem to be correct.

Thanks for any pointers.

Rick

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 28, 2006, 04:40 AM

Turn off the wireless on one of them temporarily.

rnb2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 01:46 PM

Will that work permanently, or do I need to do it whenever I want to transfer between the two machines? I'm going to try it, of course - just curious about what I'll find in the long run.

I know how to do this between a Windows box and a Mac, and have done it - I set static IPs on both boxes, then set up a UNC share through the IP on the Windows box, rather than through the machine name. Is there a way to do that between two Macs?

ink
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 10:56 PM

You can basically do the same thing with OSX; just setup a static network that is different from the network that your wireless DHCP server assigns. Then, when you want to share folders between them in the Finder, use the IP rather than the name (just to be sure).

Camelot
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2006, 02:33 AM

You don't need to use any special routing - the OS will take care of this automatically if you setup your network correctly.

Since it isn't working I'm guessing you set the IP address of the wired link in the same subnet as the wireless network, and that's the mistake.

What you need to do is setup a different subnet on the wired link. For example, if your wireless network is using 192.168.1.x, configure the wired network with 10.1.1.x.

Now, from either machine you can access the 192.168.1.x address of the other machine to use the wireless network, or use the 10.1.1.x address to use the wired network.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules