Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone here drive a VW TDI?

Anyone here drive a VW TDI?
Thorzdad
Sep 18, 2015, 03:44 PM

If so, you might want to read this.

And this.

And, maybe this.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2015, 05:10 PM

VW/Audi doing something shady? No, surely not... They violate so many "lemon laws", I hear they have a sizeable full-time legal team that does nothing but work on such cases.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

P
Sep 22, 2015, 11:28 AM

This is bad, though. They purposefully detect when the car is being tested and change the engine parameters. Potential fines in the US is $18 billion and change, the stock has already lost more than that in value, and the CEO may be on his way out the door.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2015, 11:34 AM

I've driven VW's since '82. NOT their diesels though. This is really funny. Clever but stupid.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2015, 02:39 PM

I know that the still deluded Volkswagen fans (those attacking me three years ago for laughing at VW when [VW] compared themselves to Apple) are finding it hard to believe that their favorite car maker can be so deceitful as to have pulled off one of the biggest scandals in the history of the car industry.

But it's true.

Volkswagen CEO has issued an apology but the truth is they have no ethical problem with producing mobile emphysema/pneumonia/lung cancer/stroke/heart attack machines.

My C63 makes me feel like an Eco-warrior now. Just off to put a Greenpeace sticker in the back window…

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2015, 07:25 PM

This is just mind-bogglingly stupid.

Like, "holy shit they really, actually, did that" stupid.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2015, 03:15 AM

VW said it is 11.000.000 cheating TDI cars worldwide.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2015, 03:36 AM

Geez, I can't believe how ****ing stupid they've been, especially in today's progressive, climate change-frenzied society. They could very easily be fined and sued to death. I'll be really pissed if this hurts Porsche and Lambo (neither has made many diesels, so possibly not). Though, who knows? Given the way VW Group is organized.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2015, 03:54 AM

It's actually so stupid I'm really surprised they could dig this deep a hole before getting caught.

Before it dropped, whoever did this had probably convinced themselves they were a godlike master of slyboots.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2015, 03:59 AM

The hubris is mind-boggling.

OreoCookie
Sep 23, 2015, 04:53 AM

What an embarrassment, this display of stupidity at the highest levels of the company. Plus, Winterkorn still thinks he can ride this out. I don't want to detract from Volkswagen, but I think we should also verify the emissions tests across all of all manufacturers.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2015, 05:10 AM

Ohhhhh, betcha that's happening. This will be shooting fish in a barrel.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2015, 05:23 AM

It reminds me of Porsche, whose exhaust systems ship with flaps that will close up the mufflers at (IIRC) 30 km/h and 70 km/h, which are the speeds at which noise emissions are measured, and open up at all other speeds. Customers can get an after-market switch installed at the official dealership that allows them to leave these flaps wide open.

W.T.F.?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2015, 05:24 AM

They aren't the only ones who have done it. I suspect another (American) company is guilty of it as well, with their gasoline engines. Ironically, engines that have won a staggering number of awards for innovation. See the trend? If something seems to good to be true...

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2015, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It reminds me of Porsche, whose exhaust systems ship with flaps that will close up the mufflers at (IIRC) 30 km/h and 70 km/h, which are the speeds at which noise emissions are measured, and open up at all other speeds. Customers can get an after-market switch installed at the official dealership that allows them to leave these flaps wide open.

W.T.F.?
You can also do the same by jamming it open with a golf tee, takes ~10 minutes and you can remove it if you suspect the car is going to be checked.

OreoCookie
Sep 23, 2015, 05:39 AM

… and similar things are being done to meet fleet fuel consumption standards. E. g. this is why dual clutch gearboxes are so popular: you can program them to be very economic during the standard tests, but if you switch to sport mode, all of this is out of the window.

P
Sep 23, 2015, 07:25 AM

There are many such things. The trick that GM played with their stick shift gearboxes was also for noise, I believe (if you rev the engine too high in first, it prevents you from switching to second, inserting a bar in the shifter itself that moves the stick into fourth when you try to move to second).

Emissions tests should certainly be verified across all manufacturers, but I would be surprised if there were something like this to be found, for the simple reason that a lot of manufacturers use or used the same diesel engines. PSA (Peugeot & Citroen) has had cooperation agreements with both BMW and Ford Europe about diesels, with all three manufacturers (and former Ford subsidiary Volvo, and Mazda) using the same basic engine as their small 4-cylinder diesel for a time. If one of them were cheating, they would either all have to be in on it, or one would notice that the other was better on some test and investigate. I don't think that all of those people could keep a secret, and anyway I don't think either of them sold those small diesels in the US.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2015, 11:03 AM

Aaaaaand Winterkorn resigns.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2015, 11:23 AM

Martin Winterkorn has announced his resignation as the chief executive of the Volkswagen Group with immediate effect, the company has announced, in the wake of the scandal about a software cheat in American NOx emissions tests.

An official statement from Winterkorn said: "I am clearing the way for a fresh start"

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 23, 2015, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
There are many such things. The trick that GM played with their stick shift gearboxes was also for noise, I believe (if you rev the engine too high in first, it prevents you from switching to second, inserting a bar in the shifter itself that moves the stick into fourth when you try to move to second).
It's the opposite. If you rev high enough, it will let you go into any gear. If you accelerate normally, it forces you into fourth from first. This improved mpg enough to avoid the gas guzzler tax.

The Annoying Trick That Helps The Corvette Stingray Get 29 MPG

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2015, 11:42 AM

Wonder if its a good time to buy VW stock. Looks like other car manufacturers got hammered today. I'm betting that we're about to hear about other companies that cheated.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 23, 2015, 11:51 AM

Aaaaaand Winterkorn resigns.
I wonder what they had to threaten him with. 25% of the company value gone, and he was sure he could ride it out.

P
Sep 23, 2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
It's the opposite. If you rev high enough, it will let you go into any gear. If you accelerate normally, it forces you into fourth from first. This improved mpg enough to avoid the gas guzzler tax.

The Annoying Trick That Helps The Corvette Stingray Get 29 MPG
That is not how I understand it, and that's strictly not what that thing says. If you shift early, you can go into second. If you max out the throttle, you can go into second. It is if you stay in first for a long, slow acceleration at low throttle that the skip goes in and stops you from going into second. That piece says that it is for MPG reasons, which contradicts the story I heard, but seems plausible.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 23, 2015, 12:32 PM

Intended as a fuel-saving measure, the transmission would block a simple 1-2 upshift unless you were in the throttle quite a bit, thus signalling some sporting pretense.
From the article linked in the linked article. I should have said "high and hard enough".

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2015, 10:02 AM

So this might not be limited to US sales but be effectively world wide. We'll see if it's limited to VW as well. I would suspect not.
The Independant (newspaper) is also highlighting a report commissioned by the US auto industry that was supposed to show that US spec cars were safe to sell on Europe under the TTIP agreement but was buried because it showed hey weren't.

Seems like given the chance car companies are happy to build down to the lowest common denominator.

It's like I've always believed. Corporations have no conceince and any pretense at corporate responsibility is just that. A presence.

Let's see how big the fines go. VW not surviving this would be horrible for the tens of thousands who work for them.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2015, 12:00 PM

Other manufacturers have gone on the record to say that they have not used devices to manipulate tests, with JLR saying: “Jaguar Land Rover does not use any ​emissions ​‘defeat devices’ or software.”

Renault has also welcomed more tightening of the testing procedure and says it has not used defeat devices in the past. A spokesman said: “We invite all those legislations and framework in markets we operate in, we don’t have defeat devices in any of our cars and we welcome the improvements that are proposed in Europe for the NEDC side of it.”

Mercedes-Benz denied the practice, too. “Mercedes-Benz does not use defeat devices which illegitimately limit the effectiveness of the exhaust after treatment system,” said a spokesman for the company. “This applies to every Mercedes-Benz diesel and petrol engine worldwide.”

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2015, 12:02 PM

German media reports suggest more senior VW Group bosses will leave the company tomorrow; news follows CEO Martin Winterkorn's departure
Audi R&D boss Ulrich Hackenberg, Porsche board member Wolfgang Hatz and VW brand development boss Heinz-Jakob Neusser will leave the VW Group tomorrow as part of the ongoing VW emissions scandal, according to German media reports.

Hackenberg is a long-time board member of the VW Group, and has had responsiblity for development for the Group as a whole and, more recently, Audi. Hatz is the VW Group's head of engines and transmissions, as well as being the research and development boss of Porsche. Heinz-Jakob Neusser has been VW development chief 2013, succeeding Hackenberg in the role.

Following chairman and CEO Martin Winterkorn's departure yesterday, the board of executives that governs Volkswagen AG had suggested that he wouldn't be the last top-line employee to leave his post as a result of the emissions testing scandal, and today's news adds more weight to that.

Speculation in Germany also suggests that Christian Klinger, the VW Group's boss of sales and marketing, and after-sales, could also be ushered out of his post by the end of this week. Sources have also told Reuters that VW is considering creating a board position devoted to the US market - and giving that role to current Skoda CEO Winfried Vahland.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
So this might not be limited to US sales but be effectively world wide. We'll see if it's limited to VW as well. I would suspect not.
The Independant (newspaper) is also highlighting a report commissioned by the US auto industry that was supposed to show that US spec cars were safe to sell on Europe under the TTIP agreement but was buried because it showed hey weren't.

Seems like given the chance car companies are happy to build down to the lowest common denominator.

It's like I've always believed. Corporations have no conceince and any pretense at corporate responsibility is just that. A presence.

Let's see how big the fines go. VW not surviving this would be horrible for the tens of thousands who work for them.
Word is, they will survive, no one wants to put them out of business (for obvious reasons), but the penalties (to be paid out over 20+ years) will likely cripple them and eat up their available cash.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2015, 02:20 PM

Hackenberg, Winterkorn, and Hatz sounds like a joke law firm.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2015, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Word is, they will survive, no one wants to put them out of business (for obvious reasons), but the penalties (to be paid out over 20+ years) will likely cripple them and eat up their available cash.
I can't see the penalties being that onerous.
After all, GM got away with a wrist slap (relatively) for killing people with their ignition switches. ANd they knew about it.

-t

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2015, 03:09 PM

You're forgetting that, in terms of fines, harming the environment is more costly than directly harming people. GM got nailed for $900M, while this will cost VW at least $7B, up front, not counting over-time "environmental impact" damages levied by the EPA.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2015, 03:14 PM

SEAT obviously used these TDI engines too, admitted the spaniards today. Skoda and Audi are next to follow I think.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 24, 2015, 05:09 PM

... while this will cost VW at least $7B, up front ...
The $7B is what VW has set aside. I haven't heard decisions from any of the investigations. It could go up or down.

Ordinary people tend to get the book thrown at them, while companies (or VIPs) often get wrist slaps. However, I'd be OK here with lower fines to VW provided all the people responsible get solid jail times. No setting up a single scapegoat - get the people who ordered it, and the people who coded it. 5+ years minimum each would be a good start.

OreoCookie
Sep 24, 2015, 07:48 PM

The biggest German car club (the equivalent of AAA in the US) has tested cars from several car manufacturers and came to the surprising conclusion that they cheat, too. The German news specifically mentions Volvo, Renault and Hyundai. A weirdly written article by Auto Bild claims that a BMW X3 2.0d's emissions are 11 times higher than allowed by the Euro 6 standard. (This engine is used across the BMW's range of cars.) It looks like that pretty much everybody is doing it.

I agree with reader that these manipulations should have legal repercussions on individuals.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2015, 07:48 PM

Read in passing the VW trick was to interpret no steering wheel movement as being hooked up to a dyno.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2015, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by is not View Post
SEAT obviously used these TDI engines too, admitted the spaniards today. Skoda and Audi are next to follow I think.
Skoda has admitted to installing the software.

Makes sense, since both Seat and Skoda are VW and use the same engines.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2015, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Read in passing the VW trick was to interpret no steering wheel movement as being hooked up to a dyno.
Plus it tested the atmosphere to see if it was changing. Not changing = in a testing room.

Can't find the article that I saw, but there was a pretty good chart showing how it worked.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2015, 10:26 AM

Per Jalopnik:

• Speed (knowing that the EPA tests dictated certain speeds in a certain order was a big help)

• Steering wheel position (on a dyno, you don’t steer! They just needed to see if the wheel was immobile for unusual periods of time while the car seemed to be in motion)

• Duration of engine operation (the tests had specific and regular timing)

• Barometric pressure

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2015, 11:58 AM

Don't go to Jalopnik w/o an ad/tracker blocker, they're part of Gawker media.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2015, 12:49 PM

…aaaand the Porsche takeover of VW is complete.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2015, 01:21 PM

it's quite a coup, if I had a tinfoil hat...

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2015, 03:48 PM

Don't go to Jalopnik
This is the important part.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 25, 2015, 05:07 PM

Latest word from the new CEO:
The new VW boss did not reveal how many staff had been suspended or who they were, but the company said the scandal was the result of “unlawful behaviour of engineers and technicians involved in engine development”.
"The test manipulations are a moral and political disaster for Volkswagen. The unlawful behaviour of engineers and technicians involved in engine development shocked Volkswagen just as much as it shocked the public."
Ah, so it was low-level and mid-level engineers who did it. Sounds like no one on the board is a suspect, and all the supervisors were away golfing.

If they stick with that line, fine VW out of business. If they won't punish the important people who ordered it done, then the company deserves to go down.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2015, 05:12 PM

Don't be silly. Everybody knows if you look away for only a second engineers will start committing felonies to benefit the company.

You can't expect management to stop this. It's in the engineer's nature.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2015, 06:36 PM

Thinkin' it would be a good time to buy a VW. They're going to be hungry for new car sales......

OreoCookie
Sep 25, 2015, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Latest word from the new CEO:
When I heard that part of Müller's speech, I just thought to myself “You just don't get it, do you?” It's really sad to see a company with such a long history go down like that.

P
Sep 26, 2015, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
The biggest German car club (the equivalent of AAA in the US) has tested cars from several car manufacturers and came to the surprising conclusion that they cheat, too. The German news specifically mentions Volvo, Renault and Hyundai. A weirdly written article by Auto Bild claims that a BMW X3 2.0d's emissions are 11 times higher than allowed by the Euro 6 standard. (This engine is used across the BMW's range of cars.) It looks like that pretty much everybody is doing it.

I agree with reader that these manipulations should have legal repercussions on individuals.
That's not the same thing. That report compares the result from the current EU test cycle with one that the authors of the paper consider more realistic. The results are much better for the current actual test cycle than for the alternative, but that doesn't mean that everyone was cheating - it just means that they all tuned the cars to the test. It is up the authorities to specify a relevant test cycle, so if you want to hang anyone for that, hang some EU administrator who picked that test.

(The terrible result of that Volvo does explain some things, though - like why they never launch diesels on the US market, and why the new platform has engines with urea treatment systems.)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2015, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
(The terrible result of that Volvo does explain some things, though - like why they never launch diesels on the US market, and why the new platform has engines with urea treatment systems.)
Are there any modern diesel vehicles that meet California standards without a urea / SCR system ?
I don't think there are.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2015, 02:41 PM

I knew Mazda is working on a diesel for the 6, but when I went to see if it's out yet, I found this.

Mazda said it would delay the Skyactiv-D launch until April 2014 due to complications with emission testing and certification for the California market. The most recent postponement is indefinite
Also this:

US-market diesel models from all competing suppliers use after treatment technologies for NOx control—urea-SCR or NOx adsorber catalysts (NAC) in some smaller size engines
And this:

The Skyactiv-D 2.2 liter diesel engine was first launched in Japan, in the 2012 Mazda CX-5 model. It was the world’s first passenger vehicle diesel engine to meet Japan’s 2009 emission standards without NOx aftertreatment. However, the JP 2009 NOx limit is more relaxed than the US Tier 2 Bin 5 limit and the respective testing requirements are different.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 26, 2015, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post

Now I'm kinda glad that diesel is so much less available here, and that I never considered going in that direction. My X3's 28i gasoline engine is apparently squeaky clean compared to the 2.0d Auto Bild tested.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules