Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Don't buy the new IPOD shuffle if you plan on excercising with it...

Don't buy the new IPOD shuffle if you plan on excercising with it...
HyperX
Forum Regular
May 29, 2009, 09:37 AM

I went on my usual jog with the newly purchased iPod shuffle. 10 minutes into the run a voice came on announcing song name, volume went way up, and my ability to change to next song was gone. My sweat ran down the wire into the little controller on the headset and shot the controller. What piss poor design.
--
Mac Pro 3.0 Gigahertz Xeon 8 gig RAM
Mac Air 128 gig SSD

ghporter
Administrator
May 29, 2009, 01:11 PM

How were you carrying it? I kind of thought that EVERYONE knew that you needed some sort of isolation between ANY iPod and your sweat when exercising. I have a sleeve for carrying my Nano-it isolates the iPod from me and it provides a cover for protecting the iPod from rain. Kind of important. And it's been this way since iPod #1.

Skins of various kinds are available for every version of the iPod. They're inexpensive and easy to use.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2009, 01:23 PM

Easy fix: don't exercise.

Has worked for me for years

-t

Salty
Professional Poster
May 29, 2009, 05:08 PM

Weird I exercise with my iPhone all the time... you must be one sweaty dude...

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2009, 11:01 PM

I think he's saying that sweat ran down the headphone wire and fried the remote part of the headphones.. There isn't much one can do about that.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2009, 03:37 AM

Yeah, that's a bummer. It isn't just about exercise either. If Apple has designed this thing so that sweat running down the cord can fry it, that also means u can't use it if it's raining. I would have expected more from Apple.

I'd go to an Apple store and see if you can get a replacement. Explain the situation. Be nice and remain calm. Make sure they understand you were using the remote just as most people would. Maybe they'll understand and at least give you a free replacement.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2009, 08:57 PM

Wow, that's bad news.

I had my eye on one of these in the near future for the same purposes.

Let us know what happens at the Apple store.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yeah, that's a bummer. It isn't just about exercise either. If Apple has designed this thing so that sweat running down the cord can fry it, that also means u can't use it if it's raining. I would have expected more from Apple.

I'd go to an Apple store and see if you can get a replacement. Explain the situation. Be nice and remain calm. Make sure they understand you were using the remote just as most people would. Maybe they'll understand and at least give you a free replacement.
Uhh in general, you're not supposed to use electronics in the rain, or at least you're not supposed to leave them open to the elements. I saw a kid texting the other day in a light rain and I felt like smacking him... most electronics are NOT designed to withstand water, it's just too difficult to make them sealed that tight without being bricks. That said I will say my iPod fifth gen got sprayed by rain coming through my window, I picked it up and it was covered in water and sitting in a puddle. The thing is still working.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2009, 11:04 AM

I agree you can't expect to use an iPod in heavy rain. But if the thing is intended to be used while jogging (as per the Nike+ stuff) you would expect it to sustain at least the occasional drop of sweat and a few rain drops, no?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by HyperX View Post
I went on my usual jog with the newly purchased iPod shuffle. 10 minutes into the run a voice came on announcing song name, volume went way up, and my ability to change to next song was gone. My sweat ran down the wire into the little controller on the headset and shot the controller. What piss poor design.
Are you talking about the piss poor design of your sweat glands? I would go and see if you can get a refund.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2009, 12:08 PM

On this subject, this weekend I accidentally ran a set of iPhone earbuds through a full wash and full dry laundry cycle... and everything still works. They play music, they skip tracks, even the microphone... everything works. I was in shock.

Of course, the grey part that makes the buds more comfortable melted off making them completely stiff... and it also came out of the dryer packed into a 1" tangled ball that took 20 minutes to uncurl leaving the cables got completely warped and curly and practically useless... but still... I can't believe they work.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

sjxh1705
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2009, 07:39 PM

I think w/ electronic devices, if they came in contact w/ water and weren't "on" and you are able to thoroughly dry them, more often than not they will work again, although if you don't dry them quickly enough, corrosion could set in. Esp w/ copper, eek.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 24, 2009, 07:56 AM

Note that just about any modern electronics, i.e. iPods, Macs in general, home stereos, etc., are really ALWAYS "on", at least to some degree, especially portable stuff. And with something like an iPod or iPhone that you can't take the battery out of, drying it out while it's "off" is really not possible. Thus, most sports cases for iPods are built to protect them from ANY moisture, as long as you use them as described in their instructions.

Further, corrosion is less of a concern than the liquid creating short circuits in the power system; those little batteries can carry a LOT of energy, and things like iPods can short rather spectacularly.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules