Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who is the a-hole in this situation?

Who is the a-hole in this situation? (Page 2)
akent35
Banned
Aug 28, 2014, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
Government is the a-hole; for not having a regulation that limits how dangerously close the seats can be to each other. In case of a crash-landing, now days, no one can even get into the position pictured on those safety cards.

But then again people should know what they're getting into when they travel - if they don't like it, don't travel. The flight attendant should have called the lady aside and told her to be patient with the guy and she'll receive a $50 voucher. Standard procedure from there would be to have the police waiting at the gate to detain the man for disorderly conduct/disturbing the peace etc..

If I wanted to save leg room I'd offer person in front of me lunch or drink to not put their seat back.
Well said! A couple of caveats, though:

1. The ban of such devices on US airlines is (apparently) not well publicized, as far as I know. Maybe it's buried somewhere in some documentation when one purchases a ticket, but I have never seen it (nor heard of this before).

2. We still don't know if the male passenger said something detrimental to the woman. If he did not, then your suggestion about a $50 voucher is good. But, if he did, then she was (maybe rightfully so) really pissed, and thus threw water at him. Such behavior is not necessarily justified, but one can understand how it could have happened.

3. If the flight was completely full, then the woman could not be moved somewhere else. And, assuming he did say something detrimental, the situation just got too ugly to wait for the flight to land in Denver. But, if she could have been moved (and thus her original seat remained empty), then what you suggest is good.
( Last edited by akent35; Aug 28, 2014 at 01:06 AM. )

andi*pandi
Aug 28, 2014, 09:56 PM

I'm pretty tall. I've been in situations where someone has reclined, hit my knees, and kept going, like they don't know a person is behind them. This is especially bad if you are in the last row of the plane, or right before the exit row, and cannot recline yourself.

That said, the device the guy used was an a-hole move. Not condoning the water to the face, but not a nice thing. Impossible to sleep on a plane without some recline. I don't think the TSA can scan for these things like they do for weapons, they are small, made of plastic, and the TSA has better things to worry about. The attendant should have confiscated them when they were pointed out though.

My own rule: I recline a little bit to test for obstacles. I don't recline all the way unless the person behind me is small. If you do recline and hit an obstacle, apologize and lessen the incline.

Is that so hard?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2014, 10:19 PM

I'm in the Andi camp.

Likewise, if you want me exaggeratedly thumping my knee into the back of your seat the entire flight, I can play that game.

akent35
Banned
Aug 29, 2014, 01:31 AM

Well, here's another one:

Another flight diverts over reclined-seat incident

This time, though, the person that reclined their seat did nothing wrong. The "affected" passenger is obviously the a-hole in this case.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2014, 09:41 AM

French person an asshole? Well, I never!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2014, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Likewise, if you want me exaggeratedly thumping my knee into the back of your seat the entire flight, I can play that game.
This.

If the person in front is an a**hole wtih reckless reclining, this will teach him a leason.

Side note: there's nothing worse than an overseas flight with a kid kicking your back all the way.

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 2, 2014, 11:15 AM

It happened two more times in a week. I have a feeling there's a name for this type of social echo.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2014, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I have a feeling there's a name for this type of social echo.
"Copyschmunt"

Display model. Retail item may contain less letters.

Forum Links
Forum Rules