Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Helllooooo Cleveland! (2016 Republican Convention)

Helllooooo Cleveland! (2016 Republican Convention)
andi*pandi
Jul 19, 2016, 04:23 PM

For those who want to be convention-specific.

http://convention.gop/

Shout out for Scott Baio!

How many words are you allowed to copy before it's plagiarism? And if you are going to be inspired by someone, should it be someone from the opposite party?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2016, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
How many words are you allowed to copy before it's plagiarism?
More than a single sentence for sure.

And if you are going to be inspired by someone, should it be someone from the opposite party?
One would think.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2016, 10:03 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2016, 12:01 AM

I read a good book, was much better than that freak show.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2016, 12:02 AM

How many words are you allowed to copy before it's plagiarism? And if you are going to be inspired by someone, should it be someone from the opposite party?
Given Obama's own propensity for plagiarism, I would think the Left would give her a pass. No?

andi*pandi  (op)
Jul 20, 2016, 10:01 AM

I am much more likely to think that Deval Patrick and Obama shared a speechwriter, or were trying to push common Dem agenda points, with the "Words" speech. The point of that speech was quoting other famous words, after all.

aha:
Patrick and Obama, who rely on the same campaign wizard, David Axelrod, have shared enough campaign rhetoric to be declared separated at birth, as this Boston Globearticle from 10 months ago shows. Here's additional evidence of Patrick-Obama sharing from Jake Tapper's blog. As someone who has endorsed and advised Obama, Patrick occupies the position of a campaign volunteer or even a collaborator. Given the conventions of campaign oratory, I'd have a hard time diagnosing plagiarism on Obama's part—as opposed to poor form—unless Patrick alleged that his friend fleeced his words, which he hasn't and won't.
It's like talking points, politicians repeat certain phrases that we know came down from higher ups.

So, trump's team cribbing from Mrs. Dole or Mrs. Bush or whatnot would be more understandable. Why anyone on Trump's team thought it was a good idea to crib from the other side, Michelle, or even thought it wouldn't be noticed... given the immediacy of the internet to fact-check everything. Very odd how they are claiming Melania wrote it herself, even given the parallels. It's also laughable how they are trying to spin the valid criticism as Hillary hating other women, just amazing deflection.

Then again, Trump could shoot someone in the public thoroughfare and probably still get elected.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 20, 2016, 04:20 PM

Feels like the dumpster fire burned a little too brightly Monday. Nothing popcorn worthy since

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2016, 04:35 PM

I am much more likely to think that Deval Patrick and Obama shared a speechwriter, or were trying to push common Dem agenda points, with the "Words" speech. The point of that speech was quoting other famous words, after all.
They certainly did share a speechwriter. Moreover, President Obama would typically say "I'm stealing this line from my buddy Deval Patrick ….” in his campaign stump speech but on one occasion he forgot. There wasn't anything to it at the time and this false equivalence the right is trying to make to this Melania Trump situation now is just plain foolish.

OAW

andi*pandi  (op)
Jul 20, 2016, 08:32 PM

There are some who are now saying there is no such person as Meredith McIver. Maybe she's that fake PR guy's sister.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2016, 09:08 PM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2016, 11:31 PM

I dont see what the point of these speeches are if you have a speech writer writing it. Right away it's not yours, it doesn't represent you, it's just garbage. Is the point to appeal to people's emotions, traditions or something? Those lines she plagiarized are such generic cookie cutter things to say I would have thought they were plagiarized from a Miss America pageant or something equally stupid first.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2016, 12:16 AM

Hooooooooooly crap, that Cruz speech...

It actually made me like the guy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2016, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Hooooooooooly crap, that Cruz speech...

It actually made me like the guy.
Yeah, what part. Far as I can tell it was self-serving.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2016, 01:28 AM

Sign you're running a terrible campaign: You put a wild card up on stage for no good reason.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2016, 04:22 AM

Milo did say he was bringing his "posse" to the convention... Given his fan base, I'm not at all surprised that gay men are flocking to the Right in droves.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2016, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Sign you're running a terrible campaign: You put a wild card up on stage for no good reason.
While true, Trump's campaign is shit, I'd take anything reported by Erick Erickson with an Everest-sized grain of salt. His "source" could have been the homeless guy who shines his shoes each morning, for all you know.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2016, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Milo did say he was bringing his "posse" to the convention... Given his fan base, I'm not at all surprised that gay men are flocking to the Right in droves.
Somehow I doubt thats whats happening. I suspect these will be the long-time, married, closeted, homophobic in public types.

I can't think for second that a dick like Milo would be able to sway that many to overlook an anti-LGBT platform. He only has 300k followers on Twitter.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2016, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Somehow I doubt thats whats happening. I suspect these will be the long-time, married, closeted, homophobic in public types.

I can't think for second that a dick like Milo would be able to sway that many to overlook an anti-LGBT platform. He only has 300k followers on Twitter.
Considering he reported that >5k of his fans came to Cleveland for the convention to see him, I don't doubt it at all. Unless you have evidence that these are "closeted homophobes", and not just the infusion of gay men into the Republican electorate due to Trump (who isn't anti-gay at all), and some degree Milo and his followers, I can only assume that your source is misinformed.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2016, 07:03 AM

Cruz showed his Jerkdom last night. He's a Jerk 1st and a Republican Conservative second.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2016, 08:03 AM

Considering he reported that >5k of his fans came to Cleveland for the convention to see him, I don't doubt it at all. Unless you have evidence that these are "closeted homophobes", and not just the infusion of gay men into the Republican electorate due to Trump (who isn't anti-gay at all), and some degree Milo and his followers, I can only assume that your source is misinformed.
Trump isn't, but Pence is isn't he? And the party as a whole is supporting some pretty anti-gay legislation recently what with all the discrimination laws.

Milo is clearly a big of an egomaniac himself so lets not put it past him to exaggerate. Wildly. 300k followers on Twitter is a lot if you want to punish a small local business for not giving you free stuff, but in terms of national influence its not that great.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2016, 09:46 AM

and not just the infusion of gay men into the Republican electorate due to Trump (who isn't anti-gay at all)
The Log Cabin Republicans seem very unhappy.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2016, 10:02 AM

Cruz seems to be digging a deeper hole today. What a JERK!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2016, 11:01 AM

Yeah, what part. Far as I can tell it was self-serving.
It may have been, but I admired his decision not to officially endorse for three reasons:

1. Trump insulted his wife's looks and linked his father to the JFK assassination. I don't blame him for that reason alone.
2. Christians everywhere are readily compromising their ethics by supporting Trump, and it's nice to see a Republican stand up to him.
3. 5-10 years from now, Cruz is going to look smarter than the rest of the GOP who lined up in support of Trump during what has been the most divisive era in the Republican Party for decades.

That said, Cruz probably should have just turned down the gig. If you hate the nominee, wash your hands of the entire situation. Cruz wanted to make a point, and Trump was happy to let him bury himself.

I don't think he's ruined his reputation forever, though. He's going to look a lot more appealing in December as everyone's trying to figure out why Trump was beaten in a landslide.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jul 21, 2016, 11:08 AM

I don't know. Maybe Cruz should have joined Romney at Lake Winnipesaukee, but as the second place finisher I think Trump was hoping for his support. Perhaps if the campaign had been more about issues and less about insults it would be easier to toe the line.

Do you forget all the insults for the party line?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2016, 11:11 AM

Cruz refuses to be Trump's 'servile puppy' after attacks on his wife, father - Chicago Tribune

"The day that was abdicated was the day this became personal," Cruz said. "I'm not going to get into criticizing or attacking Donald Trump, but I'll give you this response: I am not in the habit of supporting people who attack my wife and attack my father."

"And that pledge was not a blanket commitment that if you go and slander and attack Heidi, I'm going to nonetheless come like a servile puppy dog and say thank you very much for maligning my wife and my father," he added.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2016, 11:12 AM

Do you forget all the insults for the party line?
Yeah, it's a messy situation.

I'd say that criticism and harsh words are forgivable for the party line.

Direct, petty, childish insults directed at your family members? I don't see how.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2016, 11:26 AM

I feel the actual move with integrity in this scenario is not to show up.

Small (not perfectly analogous) example with Jim Webb...

When visiting the White House as part of the new Congress, he refused to shake Bush's hand.

Now, I'm a big fan of Jim's, but that was a dick move. If you aren't going to shake the guy's hand, decline the invitation to his house.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2016, 01:23 PM

Trump isn't, but Pence is isn't he? And the party as a whole is supporting some pretty anti-gay legislation recently what with all the discrimination laws.
WTF? Specifics, please.

Milo is clearly a big of an egomaniac himself so lets not put it past him to exaggerate. Wildly. 300k followers on Twitter is a lot if you want to punish a small local business for not giving you free stuff, but in terms of national influence its not that great.
Not everyone is on Twitter, ya know. Many (most?) of his fans just get his weekly email thing through Breitbart or via Youtube, where he has 250k subs.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2016, 01:23 PM

It may have been, but I admired his decision not to officially endorse for three reasons:

1. Trump insulted his wife's looks and linked his father to the JFK assassination. I don't blame him for that reason alone.
2. Christians everywhere are readily compromising their ethics by supporting Trump, and it's nice to see a Republican stand up to him.
3. 5-10 years from now, Cruz is going to look smarter than the rest of the GOP who lined up in support of Trump during what has been the most divisive era in the Republican Party for decades.

That said, Cruz probably should have just turned down the gig. If you hate the nominee, wash your hands of the entire situation. Cruz wanted to make a point, and Trump was happy to let him bury himself.

I don't think he's ruined his reputation forever, though. He's going to look a lot more appealing in December as everyone's trying to figure out why Trump was beaten in a landslide.
actually his refusal to endorse only comes off as brave by showing up. Loads of republic cans have gone into hiding rather than admit the truth. There's no doubting Cruz has cohones. But at the end of the day Cruz cares about Cruz foremost.

I don't see this as making him look any smarter than most. It's an open secret most gopers don't like Trump, and at the end of the day they will be forgiven because the alternative is democrats.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2016, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The Log Cabin Republicans seem very unhappy.
They're never happy. Most gay Repubs aren't LCR, though. At one time if you were gay and conservative, that was your political home, but not anymore.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2016, 01:33 PM

republic cans
(Cojones)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2016, 01:48 PM

(Cojones)
Iphone

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2016, 01:59 PM

eyefone

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2016, 02:21 PM

Iphone
Still relevant to the Craigslist ads.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2016, 02:37 PM

But at the end of the day Cruz cares about Cruz foremost.
I don't doubt that.

I don't see this as making him look any smarter than most. It's an open secret most gopers don't like Trump, and at the end of the day they will be forgiven because the alternative is democrats.
Alright, so let's amend that. Cruz might not wind up looking smarter, but at least he appears to actually have a moral compass (even if his detractors would argue that point).

The positive is that someone (kind of) stood up to Trump, and the RNC wasn't a 100% butt-kissing extravaganza for a megalomaniac who actually stands opposed to many of the moral principles their constituency claims to uphold.

I'm just so disappointed with many in the Christian world.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2016, 02:51 PM

WTF? Specifics, please.
I heard he was an anti-science Creationist. They aren't typically fond of the gays.

Mike Pence: What He's Said on LGBT Issues Over the Years

Not everyone is on Twitter, ya know. Many (most?) of his fans just get his weekly email thing through Breitbart or via Youtube, where he has 250k subs.

If you don't already think gay Republicans are a pretty small niche, I can't imagine I'm likely to convince you.
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Jul 21, 2016 at 08:50 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2016, 03:09 PM

I heard he was an anti-science Creationist. They aren't typically fond of the gays.
That's just your own bias, not fact. You've never caught on to the whole "love sinners despite what they do" thing Jesus commanded.

If you don't already think gay Republicans are a pretty small niche, I can't imagine I'm likely to convince you.
They were, decades ago. Get with the times: Gay Voters' Support For Republicans Nearly Doubled From 2008

Now with >40% of gay men classifying themselves as conservative, it's no small wonder there would be a lot of gays at the Republican convention.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2016, 03:29 PM

I really, really want to know what it is that's driving that number (regardless of how much it varies) of gay men towards the GOP.

Reckless (possibly offensive) question coming up: is it because they find themselves at odds with feminism? I'm only asking because Milo Yiannopoulas is only one of two gay men I've ever heard voice support for the GOP. I have a cousin who is gay who is a die-hard conservative, but every other homosexual I know is either politically apathetic or strongly liberal.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2016, 03:35 PM

I really, really want to know what it is that's driving that number (regardless of how much it varies) of gay men towards the GOP.

Reckless (possibly offensive) question coming up: is it because they find themselves at odds with feminism? I'm only asking because Milo Yiannopoulas is only one of two gay men I've ever heard voice support for the GOP. I have a cousin who is gay who is a die-hard conservative, but every other homosexual I know is either politically apathetic or strongly liberal.
I assume it's the same things by as always - monetary policy, and simpler yet, taxes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2016, 05:32 PM

Alright, so let's amend that. Cruz might not wind up looking smarter, but at least he appears to actually have a moral compass (even if his detractors would argue that point).
Appears is the right word. And I agree with him that Trump forfeited any right to an endorsement with his tactics.

The positive is that someone (kind of) stood up to Trump, and the RNC wasn't a 100% butt-kissing extravaganza for a megalomaniac who actually stands opposed to many of the moral principles their constituency claims to uphold.
The convention isn't the right venue, per se, but given Cruz was completely forthright(!) about his non-endorsement, I have no problems with him doing what he did there. The RNC could have pulled him and inexplicably didn't.

Let's face it, most of us are the ends justify the means when it comes to politics. And honestly, if a candidate is only 3/10 (instead of say a usual 7 or 8) on meeting my 'religious benchmarks' compared to a 0/10 on the other side, doesn't it make sense to go with the 3/10?

To me the problem with supporting Donald Trump isn't that he's a poor conservative. The problem with supporting Donald Trump is that he's ludicrously unfit by various benchmarks.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2016, 05:32 PM

They were, decades ago. Get with the times: Gay Voters' Support For Republicans Nearly Doubled From 2008

Now with >40% of gay men classifying themselves as conservative, it's no small wonder there would be a lot of gays at the Republican convention.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2016, 08:56 PM

That's just your own bias, not fact. You've never caught on to the whole "love sinners despite what they do" thing Jesus commanded.
I was right though. Surprise surprise.

Why are so many Americans comfortable voting for a party that by their rhetoric and often by their policies and actions, demonstrably hates them?

Gays, Black people, Hispanic people, Women, poor people. None of these people should be giving the GOP the time of day. Its baffling to me. They'd only have to turn on them once to destroy the current incarnation completely and then maybe a worthy conservative party could rise from the ashes. One that didn't champion hatred and stupidity.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2016, 08:57 PM

Middle-aged married first timers. Do I think they identify as gay? I do not.

Male escorts are making crazy money at the RNC | New York Post

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2016, 09:09 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2016, 09:53 PM

Middle-aged married first timers. Do I think they identify as gay? I do not.

Male escorts are making crazy money at the RNC | New York Post
Two classes of people who generally don't hire escorts...

Women.
Openly gay guys.

I'll leave why as an exercise for the reader.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2016, 10:15 PM

I am straight-up impressed with Ivanka pivoting the gender wage gap discussion into a motherhood one.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2016, 10:40 PM

Seriously?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2016, 10:41 PM

Not enough flag.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2016, 11:07 PM

I am straight-up impressed with Ivanka pivoting the gender wage gap discussion into a motherhood one.
Yeah, since early on I've been suspecting politics is in her future and she's electable.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2016, 06:05 AM

Yeah, since early on I've been suspecting politics is in her future and she's electable.
She's probably a much better option than daddy. I bet it would piss him off if she got elected after he didn't too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules