Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Keyboard won't work for bootcamp install

Keyboard won't work for bootcamp install
steha124
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2010, 11:08 AM

Hello,
I just got a new iMac and am attempting to install windows xp using the bootcamp application. My usb keyboard will work until the "press enter to install", "F3 to quit", etc. screen comes up in the windows install. I then get no response from the usb keyboard i am using (caps lock led won't even illuminate) and i have to use the power button/mouse combination to eject the winxp installation disc. This has happened numerous times. My question is, could it be the particular usb keyboard i am using or am i missing something? The mac was not able to identify this specific keyboard so just used the generic keyboard settings i guess. Thanks in advance for any advice.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 23, 2010, 10:27 PM

It's not your keyboard, but it may be your XP installation disc. It MUST be XP with SP2 as a minimum, or the installation won't work. It has to do with the drivers that come with the earlier versions of XP.

If your XP disc is supposed to be SP2 or later, it's possible that the disc itself is slightly damaged. The installer that comes with XP is really pretty stupid-Microsoft used the "most compatible" optical driver, which just happens to be able to operate drives that are older than most new Windows users, but which also offers almost no error correction. A CD with trivial data errors from scratches could be virtually unreadable if those errors are in just the wrong places. And the installer simply won't tell you when there's a problem writing a file during installation. You jave to try to get all the way through and then see if it all works.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules