Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Your thoughts on Collin McRae Rally 05 coming to the mac platform?

Your thoughts on Collin McRae Rally 05 coming to the mac platform?
bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 8, 2005, 10:48 AM

I haven't seen a GOOD racing game on the mac platform in.... uh... well, ever. I'm pretty excited... think it'll have online capabilities?

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Oct 10, 2005, 04:53 AM

No driving game I have tried since the Carmageddon series handle properly. They always seem to try and keep you facing the correct direction, and if you clip a wall you do not spin (as you would in real life) you keep going straight on. Basically the physics are all wrong.

So here's hoping that Colin McRae Rally 05 is NOT like all the other playstation style racing games.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by littlegreenspud
No driving game I have tried since the Carmageddon series handle properly. They always seem to try and keep you facing the correct direction, and if you clip a wall you do not spin (as you would in real life) you keep going straight on. Basically the physics are all wrong.

So here's hoping that Colin McRae Rally 05 is NOT like all the other playstation style racing games.
What do you mean by "NOT like all the other playstation style racing games." The Playstation 2 has simulators (Gran Turismo 4, TOCA, etc) and arcade racing games (Burnout, Midnight Club, etc). Colin McRae has 5 or 6 versions, all of which are on the PC, XBox, and PS2. If a Mac version comes out, it'll be a port of the PC version... There are hundreds of reviews on the series available on the net. Reading just 1 of them will shed some light on the gameplay, which leans on the sim side.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Oct 15, 2005, 03:22 PM

riotge@r:
What do I mean?
Well, if you are driving a car and and another car "nudges" your rear in a corner you spin out in real life, but invariably (though I have not tried all of them!) in the "play station" style games you just twitch sideways a bit them automatically straighten up. Not realistic at all and it just annoys me. It takes the fun out of pushing the "car" to it's limits when you know that the game will be "helping" you to keep the car pointed the right way.

In my opinion the game that came closest to real life driving on a Mac was Carmageddon I and II.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 06:33 AM

Colin McRae 2005 on the Mac will have the same networking options (Mac <-> Mac only) as the PC version. This means 8 player online game-play and up-to 4 player split screen on one machine.

Edwin

Forum Links
Forum Rules