Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 300 (Movie)

300 (Movie) (Page 3)
Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2007, 12:37 PM

I said it was foolish to primarily go for the story.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2007, 05:14 PM

children please

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2007, 12:01 AM

I liked it! Good entertainment, but the plot was about as strong as your average 'Die Hard' movie. It looked good and had great battle scenes.

Gerard Butler dropped in and out of his Scottish (or something) accent, which was mildly annoying.

The side-plot with the wife and the senator was not needed. They even managed to put one or two humorous lines into the movie without making it silly.

Xerxes was a most amusing character.

As the movie is set up is the retelling of the battle at Thermopylae by a lone surviving soldier (who didn't even see the whole thing) some imaginative parts were added. This is a sort of adventure - although it doesn't follow the rules of adventures.

This movie deserves to be seen. It wants to be seen. Just be advised, this is not a historical movie, nor is it an involving drama. It is just a really cool battle against all odds.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 12:15 AM

Wel, I certainly didn't expect to see much of a story, and I'd been warned such, but the problem was that they tried to put somewhat of a story in, which just didn't work. A good movie has either a story or no story – trying to weld one on when it isn't needed (or vice versa) just makes it worse.

And the whole "against all odds" thing is another annoyance. From what I remember of the book, there was truly an "against all odds" mentality. I completely didn't get that from the movie. Seriously, aside from some scenes of the huge Persian army and all the ships, where was the "against all odds" component in fight scenes?? They faced one "enemy" at a time, killed a bunch of people in seeming hand-to-hand combat, and then it would show a massive pile of bodies. I felt very little of an "against all odds" mentality when it came to the fighting...as far as I know, there was no single shot of the Spartan line disintegrating under the weight of a massive amount of enemies and having to retreat and regroup, as there rightfully should have been if it was truly an "against all odds" scenario. It just mostly seemed to be shots of Spartans kicking ass one-on-one, as I said before. Not even phalanx shots besides the initial push (which I felt was the best fight scene in the entire movie, none of the Braveheart-style running-around-madly stuff that was apparently not what Spartans were supposed to do anyway, according to the build-up).

I dunno, I just wasn't impressed. I don't think it translated well to the big screen. Cheap action movies are a dime a dozen. The one was about the same, except with CGI.

*shrug*

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2007, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Wel, I certainly didn't expect to see much of a story, and I'd been warned such, but the problem was that they tried to put somewhat of a story in, which just didn't work. A good movie has either a story or no story – trying to weld one on when it isn't needed (or vice versa) just makes it worse.

And the whole "against all odds" thing is another annoyance. From what I remember of the book, there was truly an "against all odds" mentality. I completely didn't get that from the movie. Seriously, aside from some scenes of the huge Persian army and all the ships, where was the "against all odds" component in fight scenes?? They faced one "enemy" at a time, killed a bunch of people in seeming hand-to-hand combat, and then it would show a massive pile of bodies. I felt very little of an "against all odds" mentality when it came to the fighting...as far as I know, there was no single shot of the Spartan line disintegrating under the weight of a massive amount of enemies and having to retreat and regroup, as there rightfully should have been if it was truly an "against all odds" scenario. It just mostly seemed to be shots of Spartans kicking ass one-on-one, as I said before. Not even phalanx shots besides the initial push (which I felt was the best fight scene in the entire movie, none of the Braveheart-style running-around-madly stuff that was apparently not what Spartans were supposed to do anyway, according to the build-up).

I dunno, I just wasn't impressed. I don't think it translated well to the big screen. Cheap action movies are a dime a dozen. The one was about the same, except with CGI.

*shrug*

greg
I never read the 'comic'. This is a timeless story and visually based on some comic. Honestly, the comic is irrelevant. This is *the* story about facing a challenge against all odds. One that I've heard since I was a kid.

Comic? WTF?

As for story.. all movies based on stories have stories. You're trying too hard to find some detailed flaws in a very flawed movie. All the while, you make yourself look like you don't know anything about the story of Thermopylae. So you don't like the movie. But because it isn't true to the 'book' or that you think the story isn't that compelling --- well duh.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
I never read the 'comic'. This is a timeless story and visually based on some comic. Honestly, the comic is irrelevant. This is *the* story about facing a challenge against all odds. One that I've heard since I was a kid.

Comic? WTF?
Hmmmmm. I'm confused about your use of "comic." Are you responding to someone else? I can't see where I was talking about comics.

As for story.. all movies based on stories have stories. You're trying too hard to find some detailed flaws in a very flawed movie. All the while, you make yourself look like you don't know anything about the story of Thermopylae. So you don't like the movie. But because it isn't true to the 'book' or that you think the story isn't that compelling --- well duh.
As I said, I remember very little of the book that I read – which was a similar sort of what-if anthropological work that I don't care much for – and I was responding to the comment of "fighting against all odds." One thing that I do remember from the book is a sense of truly fighting against all odds – Spartans just getting bowled over from the enormous amounts of troops Xerxes was able to throw at them. Did you get that same feeling in the movie? As I said, apart from the first scene it was mostly individual combat. Furthermore, I didn't say whether or not I liked the story – I said I didn't like the way it was tacked on in the movie, and it didn't fit very well.

And just as an FYI, I took history as my minor in school, focusing on the history of science as well as the history of warfare. Since the Greek phalanx and the great Greek-Persian battle(s) at Marathon, Salamis and Plataea are often regarded as the birth of recorded modern tactical warfare, I have studied them in semi-decent depth; I would feel safe in saying I know the story of the Persian invasion better than you, or most people. So I fail to see how I look like "I don't know anything about the story of Thermopylae", when I didn't say anything about the story at all (other than the fact that it was lame in the movie).

greg

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2007, 12:40 PM

Greg, I have to say you come off as a huge know-it-all about soooo many things.

You are the end-all-be-all say on any band or movie

Can't you say you don't like it and move on? We really don't need to revel in your superior critiquing skills. So you studied the history? Who cares? This movie was never supposed to satisfy people like you.

The reason the Spartan line didn't crush under the Persians (in the movie) was explained many times. Spartans were born, bred, and raised to be the biggest and baddest warriors of all time. Many of the Persians were slaves and piss poor at fighting.

Makes perfect sense to me.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
This movie deserves to be seen. It wants to be seen. Just be advised, this is not a historical movie, nor is it an involving drama. It is just a really cool battle against all odds.

V
Bingo, if you go into this movie knowing these things (like 99% of everyone else who saw it) it's really enjoyable. They could have tried to do more with it, but look at Alexander, freakin awful movie that tried to be historical.

300 is about a fantasy come to life with a smattering of real-life incidents.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2007, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Greg, I have to say you come off as a huge know-it-all about soooo many things.
Thank you.

You are the end-all-be-all say on any band or movie
Thank you.

Can't you say you don't like it and move on? We really don't need to revel in your superior critiquing skills. So you studied the history? Who cares? This movie was never supposed to satisfy people like you.
Again, as I said, it wasn't the history that I was critiquing. It was the movie. I know the history, but I didn't think it was particularly relevant to the movie. The only thing I did comment on was the phalanx, and that was because it was mentioned specifically as a vital part of the Spartan system in the movie (and then subsequently ignored, natch).

The reason the Spartan line didn't crush under the Persians (in the movie) was explained many times. Spartans were born, bred, and raised to be the biggest and baddest warriors of all time. Many of the Persians were slaves and piss poor at fighting.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Perhaps what should also make perfect sense to you is that, unlike in the movies, the biggest, toughest badass can be taken down pretty easily when 3 or 4 weaklings all jump on him at the same time. The reason this didn't happen to the Spartans – however bad the Persians may have been, and remember some of the Xerxes' elite troops were probably involved – was because of the location and the Greek style of disciplined fighting in a phalanx, as Leonidas specifically mentioned in the movie to crazy wasisname hunchback dude.

Really, however enjoyable it is, does it make any sense to you when Leonidas talks about how utterly important it is that their success depends on the ability to protect each other within the phalanx, and then the movie ends up showing almost all of the fighting as a melée?! I mean jebus, if you wanted it to do that, why not just don't bother mentioning the oh-so-important phalanx in the first place??

greg

edyleared
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2007, 05:28 AM

OMG just saw 300 on the largest screen in the world!!!! :O (this is in Auckland NewZealand) That is 30.670 metres-wide and over 13 metres tall!

As for the movie, it was prety much the best movie i have seen. Stunning visuals

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2007, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by edyleared View Post
OMG just saw 300 on the largest screen in the world!!!! :O (this is in Auckland NewZealand) That is 30.670 metres-wide and over 13 metres tall!
OMG that's a lot of hot man-on-man action.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Thank you.

Thank you.

Again, as I said, it wasn't the history that I was critiquing. It was the movie. I know the history, but I didn't think it was particularly relevant to the movie. The only thing I did comment on was the phalanx, and that was because it was mentioned specifically as a vital part of the Spartan system in the movie (and then subsequently ignored, natch).

Perhaps what should also make perfect sense to you is that, unlike in the movies, the biggest, toughest badass can be taken down pretty easily when 3 or 4 weaklings all jump on him at the same time. The reason this didn't happen to the Spartans – however bad the Persians may have been, and remember some of the Xerxes' elite troops were probably involved – was because of the location and the Greek style of disciplined fighting in a phalanx, as Leonidas specifically mentioned in the movie to crazy wasisname hunchback dude.

Really, however enjoyable it is, does it make any sense to you when Leonidas talks about how utterly important it is that their success depends on the ability to protect each other within the phalanx, and then the movie ends up showing almost all of the fighting as a melée?! I mean jebus, if you wanted it to do that, why not just don't bother mentioning the oh-so-important phalanx in the first place??

greg
Your're right, but you've got a problem if that prevents you from enjoying a movie.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2007, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
OMG that's a lot of hot man-on-man action.
Man nipple is the size of real human head on that screen *shudder*

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2007, 12:34 PM

Finally went to the movies to watch it. Absolutely loved this movie. 5/5 from me.....a rare treat.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2007, 12:36 PM

Saw it last night as well. 4/5. Wife was expecting more of a gladiator feel, but still enjoyed it. She gave it a 3/5.

Good flick, lots of action, not a heavy plot, but wasn't expecting one...
Joe

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2007, 08:25 PM

I seen it...Half expecting what I was going to get.

Really enjoyed it.....Blew me away. I would even say it was one of the most entertaining movies I have seen.
Who reads this???

Forum Links
Forum Rules