Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > iTunes: Encoding Continuous Tracks As One MP3?

iTunes: Encoding Continuous Tracks As One MP3?
figaro377
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2001, 04:55 PM

Hello all!

I seem to recall a feature in SoundJam allowing one to encode multiple contiguous CD tracks into a single MP3 file. This feature comes in handy when encoding live performances and albums in which one song segues directly into the next.

Is there a way to do the same thing in iTunes 1.1?

pdjr
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2001, 10:19 PM

Open iTunes. Select the Edit | Preferences menu, and then click on the "Advanced" tab. There is an option for selecting the gap between songs. Select "none." Case closed!

figaro377  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2001, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by pdjr:
Open iTunes. Select the Edit | Preferences menu, and then click on the "Advanced" tab. There is an option for selecting the gap between songs. Select "none." Case closed!
Hi pdjr!

What you wrote is correct, but it covers the act of CD burning, not MP3 encoding. If I understand correctly, the option on the Advanced tab allows me to burn a CD with no gaps between tracks. I'm looking for the ability to select multiple contiguous tracks on an existing CD and have iTunes encode them as a single MP3 file. That way, songs that are "meant" to be heard together always stay together, even if shuffle play is on.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2001, 12:28 PM

Open the encoded MP3s in QT or Audion 2. I think probably Audion by opening the sound editor window. (where you see the sound waves). So just start from the 1st track, then open the 2nd track, copy and paste to end of 1st. Open 3rd, copy to end of 2nd, etc, etc, etc. Then when you resave it, it's one mp3.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

chris5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2001, 01:00 AM

I not aware of any feature in itunes that's lets you encode alot of songs into one but there is a shareware program that let's encode a whole album as one mp3. The name of it is AlbumWrap it can be found at http://www.versiontracker.com. Here's the description that they give

Product Description:
Ever been searching for several tracks from one album? It's hard to find one person that has every track... Considering the quality, bit rate, and download speed you desire, the time it takes to complete the task is considerable. AlbumWrap archives solve this program by allowing artists to wrap an entire album into one neat file, while still providing relevant information such as title, author, bit rate, and album length in file searches and downloads.

AlbumWrap files are simple to make and easy to use. AlbumWrap allows you to select individual MP3 tracks from your album and wrap them into one file. This makes it simple for users to get a complete work at one time. It saves time in searching for quality tracks with the desired bit rates. It's fast, easy, and exciting (and the Extractor is FREE)!

Want to make your MP3-format music more accessible and convenient for listeners? Take a look at AlbumWrap, and make it easier for users to get their hands on your music... Don't make them search and download each track separately !

AlbumWrap is easy to use and is completely compatible with the file sharing systems in use, including Napster.

AlbumWrap is universal... There are Mac and Windows versions of both AlbumWrap and AlbumWrap Extractor (the freeware album 'decompressor'). The archives are cross-platform compatible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules