Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Slow iTunes ripping with ext drive.

Slow iTunes ripping with ext drive.
pjkim
Mar 19, 2001, 12:45 AM

I get good ripping speeds with my internal DVD drive (7 to 8 X) but when I try to rip CDs using my external firewire CDRW, I can only get about 0.8 to 1.0 X rip speeds. The drive is a Quefire 32x12x10 and the data transfer speed is just fine. It is just that ripping is so slow. When the drive is ripping, the drive is spinning at a noticably slower speed than when reading data. I have iTunes 1.1 with authoring so that I can burn CDs at full speed -- yes, I can burn faster than I can rip!

Any help appreciated but useful help is preferable 8-).

Peter

matttichenor
Mar 20, 2001, 03:18 PM

I have encountered the same problem with my computer save for the fact that I am using the LaCiw CDRW 8/4/32, which uses a Plextor Drive. Before iTunes 1.1 the Firewire CDRW had great extracting rates, now it is very slow. The only difference I have noticed is that the new version of iTunes combines the extraction/importing process whereas the older version did them seperately.

m

Forum Links
Forum Rules