Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > RAM Frequently Asked Questions

RAM Frequently Asked Questions (Page 5)
Bearsfan34
Mar 24, 2008, 12:16 AM

I just upgraded to 4GB of RAM for my Nov. 2007 MacBook. It was at least $30 cheaper than Crucial.com (my standby for purchasing RAM for my work's Macs/PCs), and $20 or more cheaper than OWC at newegg.com. Got the Kingston RAM...no issues at all so far.

Am not really seeing a "huge" difference from the 2GB I had, but I have noticed that with Mail, Safari, Transmit, iChat, iTunes, iPhoto, Pages and Fusion (XP) running simultaneously I've yet to see a page out to the HDD. Perhaps that's improvement enough...and am not sorry I spent the extra bucks for the upgrade.
-Core i5 MacBook Pro, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; iBook G4 1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM
-5G white iPod 30GB; original U2 iPod 20GB mono; now on 32GB Black iPhone 4
-...oh, and a PC too.

XTTX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 01:32 AM

Anyone ever tried these modules?
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory - Retail

I'm interested in those particularly because they have 4-4-4-12 timing, and they seem to be rather cheap. Someone on another mac forum, however, told me to stay away from G.Skill. I'm not quite sure why because my desktop and previous laptop were running G.Skill modules rather well.

Also, what's the verdict on using DIMMs with heatsinks in laptops?

mike868y
Mar 24, 2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bearsfan34 View Post
I just upgraded to 4GB of RAM for my Nov. 2007 MacBook. It was at least $30 cheaper than Crucial.com (my standby for purchasing RAM for my work's Macs/PCs), and $20 or more cheaper than OWC at newegg.com. Got the Kingston RAM...no issues at all so far.

Am not really seeing a "huge" difference from the 2GB I had, but I have noticed that with Mail, Safari, Transmit, iChat, iTunes, iPhoto, Pages and Fusion (XP) running simultaneously I've yet to see a page out to the HDD. Perhaps that's improvement enough...and am not sorry I spent the extra bucks for the upgrade.
currently crucial is liek $13 more expensive than owc..not sure about newegg tho

nspire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback regarding the video card!
One more question for RAM..

Local store offers Patriot Signature RAM for about $100CDN.
Canada Computers - Memory > Apple Memory : Patriot Signature 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Apple Notebook Model (PSA24GICDSK).
I've never heard about Patriot Signature, has anyone else had ram from this manufacturer? and how well did it go?

They also have a pair of 2GB kingtons:
Canada Computers - Memory > Apple Memory : Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) PC5300 DDR2 667mhz Dual Channel Kit Memory for Apple Notebook (KTA-MB667K2/4G).
$132 though. A little too much considering what the other online sites offer.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------------------
G4 400Mhz | QuadCore PC Workstation
MBP Coming Soon!
------------------------------------------------------------------

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2008, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by XTTX View Post
Anyone ever tried these modules?
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory - Retail

I'm interested in those particularly because they have 4-4-4-12 timing, and they seem to be rather cheap. Someone on another mac forum, however, told me to stay away from G.Skill. I'm not quite sure why because my desktop and previous laptop were running G.Skill modules rather well.

Also, what's the verdict on using DIMMs with heatsinks in laptops?
G.Skill is pretty bad in my experience and the quicker timings don't really buy you anything. There's no reason to buy laptop RAM with heatsinks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2008, 05:29 AM

From here

Corsair Low Latency memory for Apple laptops. We are continuing our testing this weekend with our MacBook Pro 2.6GHz "Penryn" but so far the advantage of the CAS 4 memory over the "normal" CAS 5 memory is averaging 1.3% in our various real world tests which include Photoshop CS3, Compressor 3, After Effects CS3, and QuickTime Encoding. Corsair's claimed 19% Photoshop advantage is requiring "suspension of disbelief."

Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2008, 06:37 PM

I have the older MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz (MA610LL) that has a 3GB RAM limit. Does anyone know if I put in two 2GB sticks of RAM, whether or not my MacBook Pro will recognize that as 3GB and whether or not that is a good idea.

The reason I ask is I have two Mushkin 2GB sticks of ram lying around and I read that it is better to put in the same brand of ram in a computer instead of mixing and matching.

Bottom line, should I:

1. Keep one stick of Apple 1GB ram and put in one stick of Mushkin 2GB ram?
or
2. Take out the Apple ram and put in two sticks of Mushkin 2GB ram?

Thank you.

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2008, 08:15 PM

Hello!

There's a sticky at the top of this notebook section that will help you: http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...s/#post3636546

There, Simon posts:
Although you can install 2x2GB RAM in the early C2D MacBook Pro for a total of 4GB, the chipset has an addressing limitation of 3GB.

This is not something software, the OS or firmware could change - it is an inherent limitation of this Intel chipset. If you install 4GB in an early C2D MacBook Pro the system will recognize the total amount of RAM, but you actually won't be able to use the last GB.

Unless 2x2GB is cheaper (or more easily available) than an unmatched 3GB, there is no reason to install more than 3 GB in an early C2D MBP.

In your situation, I guess that if you have nowhere else to put those RAM sticks, then I'm sure they'll enjoy being in a MacBook Pro

Cold Warrior
Apr 27, 2008, 09:46 PM

I've moved the two posts above to this thread, where the OP's question belongs.

roder734
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2008, 03:27 PM

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share my experience with trying to determine the difference between Crucial's CT368654 vs CT12864X335 memory sticks. They have exactly the same specs, and vary in price, so I figured I would ask one of their online chat people to explain why I would want to buy one over the other for my Powerbook G4 1.5 15inch. They recommend CT368654, even though CT12864X335 has the same description-1GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR PC2700 memory module . The response I got was more than disturbing. I am including the text here.

Welcome to Crucial Technology's Expert Online. An Expert Online agent will join you in a moment... Please do not begin typing until you have been connected to an agent.
Hello, my name is Luke . How may I help you?
Wendy: Hi would Crucial 1GB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Laptop Memory Model CT12864X335 be compatible with a G4 15inch 1.5 laptop?
Luke : One moment, please, while I review your inquiry.
Luke : If you could provide me with the make and model of your system or the make and model of the motherboard, that would be great.
Wendy: It's an apple Powerbook G4 1.5 processor, 15" display
Luke : One moment, please, while I review your inquiry.
The agent is sending you to http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...5-inch+Display).
Luke : And yes that part is.
Wendy: It has a different number than where you sent me though
Luke : When you order by advanced search or by motherboard, you are shown the “base” part number. When you order online by system information, you are shown what we refer to as an “external” part number. The part number that you see on your module is the actual module part number. If you order by advanced search or motherboard, the base number is included in the part number in the module. I apologize for any confusion.
Wendy: CT12864X335 vs. CT368654
Wendy: so these are the same thing?
Luke : Yes they are the same thing.
Luke : Is there anything else I can help you with?
Wendy: so this is the same then: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...le=CT12864X335
Wendy: even though it's on a different page on your site?
Wendy: and a different price?
Luke : The are different builds.
Wendy: ? So would the second one work in my powerbook?
Luke : The CT368654 is the one I would recommend.
Wendy: okay, but you said they were the same, but one is $10 more than the other, and I need 2, so that would be $20 more. Are they the same or aren't they?
Luke : They have the same specs but the second one is a different build that should be more stable in your Mac.
Wendy: what does a different build mean?
Luke : The is was placed on different boards.
Luke : Is there anything else I can help you with?
Wendy: What? I didn't understand your response.
Wendy: are you saying that it won't fit in my computer?
Luke : It will fit in you computer and I would recommend the CT368654 even with the added $20 cost for 2.
Wendy: Okay, but I don't feel confident in your reason why. What does a different build mean? If they have the exact same specs, why would I get one over the other?
Wendy: The second one, CT12864X335, even has a price that matches, $54.00 but has a save $10 slash through it.
Luke : You can order ether one the part I recommend will work better but it is up to you.
Wendy: Can you please tell my why?
Luke : We did the different build to make it work better in Macs.
Wendy: okay, can you explain "different build" and how it "works better in macs"?
Luke : No I'm sorry I can't explain the different build in more detail. But "it works better in Macs" means it runs more stable.
Wendy: Why can't you explain the different build?
Luke : I just can't sorry.
Wendy: Because you don't know, or you are not allowed, or why exactly?
Luke : Wendy what do you need to know?
Wendy: Luke, I am just a little confounded by how hard it is to get you to answer the simple question of why you would have the exact same specs on something, but recommend one over the other, without giving me more information other than "it works better, just because."
Luke : It was a slit change that made the inter face with the Mac motherboards run smother it did not change any of the specs on the parts,
Wendy: okay, now we are getting somewhere. I have also read it has something to do with a magic heat dispersing element, is there anything to that? does the other one cause kernel panics?
Luke : yes it could cause the errors and I do believe it had to do with the heat sinks.
Wendy: so when you originally told me that "When you order by advanced search or by motherboard, you are shown the “base” part number. When you order online by system information, you are shown what we refer to as an “external” part number. The part number that you see on your module is the actual module part number. If you order by advanced search or motherboard, the base number is included in the part number in the module." and that they are the same
Wendy: they really aren't?
Luke : I said that in response to you asking about the part CT12864X335 and then say that you saw different part numbers.
Luke : At that time you had not said anything about the part CT.
Luke : CT368654 sorry.
Wendy: I put the CT12864X335 in my original posting and then asked this:
Wendy: "Wendy: CT12864X335 vs. CT368654
Wendy: so these are the same thing?
Luke : Yes they are the same thing."
Luke : I miss spoke there sorry.
Wendy: okay, just wanted to make sure, cuz this conversation has been a bit fishy.
Wendy: to clarify
Wendy: I should order the CT368654 because it is more compatible with my G4 because of a change in the build, a slit change and less heat sinking?
Luke : Yes.
Wendy: hilarious. thanks for your help.
Luke : You're welcome. If there is nothing further I can assist you with, I’d like to thank you for visiting Crucial.com. Have a great day.

As you can see, perfectly clear! Does anyone else have a better explanation than I got in the above post?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2008, 06:53 PM

The Mac Pro memory is probably the most obvious example... same specs as normal FB-DIMMs on paper, but requires the jumbo heatsinks for stable operation due to the low cooling flows in the Mac Pro. The G4 memory controllers have their own quirks (there are reports of modules that meet specs yet don't work in G4s) and Crucial has probably slightly changed settings (timings, latencies, etc) or tested the modules sold for the PowerBooks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules