Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > At what point do we fight. All out.

At what point do we fight. All out. (Page 3)
iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 07:40 PM

Hypothetical question here: If things continue down the same road and democrats continue to fail to really do anything but disappoint and we were to basically go to a 1 party dominated country, what would happen if all the democrats, the politicians and voters, all switched to Republicans?

Is that even allowed or do they get to have a say as to who joins the party? It seems to me that if the old democrats were able to get a popular vote but electoral vote loss, that they could possibly change who got elected in the primaries. Instead of a lot of democrat and republican voters voting party line, they'd actually have to do some investigating to figure out who to vote for. Maybe that would cause some kind of party split with 2 different parties from the old dem/rep duo. Could Republicans put up more than 1 candidate or would the other major candidate be an independent?

I doubt anything like that would ever happen, but I know some states like Illinois should be Republican but have voted Democrat since the good old days and like to keep it that way, even when the ideas behind the parties have reversed.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
Hypothetical question here: If things continue down the same road and democrats continue to fail to really do anything but disappoint and we were to basically go to a 1 party dominated country, what would happen if all the democrats, the politicians and voters, all switched to Republicans?

Is that even allowed or do they get to have a say as to who joins the party? It seems to me that if the old democrats were able to get a popular vote but electoral vote loss, that they could possibly change who got elected in the primaries. Instead of a lot of democrat and republican voters voting party line, they'd actually have to do some investigating to figure out who to vote for. Maybe that would cause some kind of party split with 2 different parties from the old dem/rep duo. Could Republicans put up more than 1 candidate or would the other major candidate be an independent?

I doubt anything like that would ever happen, but I know some states like Illinois should be Republican but have voted Democrat since the good old days and like to keep it that way, even when the ideas behind the parties have reversed.

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I've been thinking that now would be a perfect time to create a new party consisting of some Democrat defectors and others. Bush seems perfect for a subset of the population, but there is a big gaping hole in representation for a number of other ideas, making choices not very attractive to many.

I can see the Libertarians picking up ground, since the Neo-cons are clearly not about personal freedoms, choices and civil liberties.

Hopefully the Democrats will use this downtime to recreate themselves into something attractive to voters, perhaps reclaiming some new territory that the Neo-cons have left in the dust (e.g. small government, tight spending, civil liberties, etc.).

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2006, 10:08 PM

So the Democrats will become what Republicans once were.

(our plan is working to perfection)

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I've been thinking that now would be a perfect time to create a new party consisting of some Democrat defectors and others. Bush seems perfect for a subset of the population, but there is a big gaping hole in representation for a number of other ideas, making choices not very attractive to many.

I can see the Libertarians picking up ground, since the Neo-cons are clearly not about personal freedoms, choices and civil liberties.

Hopefully the Democrats will use this downtime to recreate themselves into something attractive to voters, perhaps reclaiming some new territory that the Neo-cons have left in the dust (e.g. small government, tight spending, civil liberties, etc.).
You will never be happy with ANY party or administration's handling of ANY matter if you only pay attention to the negative aspects of that party or administration's performance.

But, hey! Jon Stewart is keeping you in good spirits so he can't be all bad, right?

And ALL you Fuzzy libs keep the rest of us laughing, so everything balances out.

Sure. Go ahead. Start a new party. Protest. Wring your hands. Stay clueless. Then lose in 08!
And then repeat. All to our everlasting amusement!

BTW, just to show you how well we're sighted in on you guys. Look at Spliffdaddy's post and mine. I didn't see his when I posted. He didn't see mine when he posted. Yet, we are saying the same thing about you guys.

Hint, hint? Clue, clue?
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
You will never be happy with ANY party or administration's handling of ANY matter if you only pay attention to the negative aspects of that party or administration's performance.

But, hey! Jon Stewart is keeping you in good spirits so he can't be all bad, right?

And ALL you Fuzzy libs keep the rest of us laughing, so everything balances out.

Sure. Go ahead. Start a new party. Protest. Wring your hands. Stay clueless. Then lose in 08!
And then repeat. All to our everlasting amusement!

BTW, just to show you how well we're sighted in on you guys. Look at Spliffdaddy's post and mine. I didn't see his when I posted. He didn't see mine when he posted. Yet, we are saying the same thing about you guys.

Hint, hint? Clue, clue?

Wow... It's astonishing how one day you can be pretty thoughtful and a good conversationalist, and then the next day a jerk with nothing to say.

Welcome to my ignore list, you are in good company with Kevin, Railroader, and SpliffDaddy.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2006, 10:53 PM

Wow... It's astonishing how one day you can be pretty thoughtful and a good conversationalist, and then the next day a jerk with nothing to say.

Welcome to my ignore list, you are in good company with Kevin, Railroader, and SpliffDaddy.
Lies certainly can be hurtful. But I have the feeling what I've said to hurt you here is pretty close to the truth.

FWIW, I'm not angry at you. Think of this as being candidly direct. Sometimes when your Canadian friends won't tell you what you need to hear it takes an American to hook you up.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2006, 11:06 PM

Lies certainly can be hurtful. But I have the feeling what I've said to hurt you here is pretty close to the truth.
Yes, that's right. He's hurt because he knows he actually is a "fuzzy lib" who exists only for your "everlasting amusement" and lives up to about every stereotype you could think of off the top of your head. Your post wasn't at all rude and dismissive.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Yes, that's right. He's hurt because he knows he actually is a "fuzzy lib" who exists only for your "everlasting amusement" and lives up to about every stereotype you could think of off the top of your head. Your post wasn't at all rude and dismissive.
Strange World!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2006, 11:18 PM

We can disagree until the cows come home. All I ask is that the person I'm conversing with is civil and respectful with me, or else not only are my efforts a waste of time (like most political debate these days), but unpleasant - a combination I'm not willing to tolerate, I have better things to do.

Obviously Aberdeen has difficulty having a semi-intellectual discussion without resorting to personal attacks.

It's a shame.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2006, 11:24 PM

We can disagree until the cows come home. All I ask is that the person I'm conversing with is civil and respectful with me, or else not only are my efforts a waste of time (like most political debate these days), but unpleasant - a combination I'm not willing to tolerate, I have better things to do.

Obviously Aberdeen has difficulty having a semi-intellectual discussion without resorting to personal attacks.

It's a shame.
I know I have said some things that have offended you. So, I will give myself a time out while we both think about what brought us to this point.

And NO that DOESN'T mean you thinking about what ABERDEENWRITER did.

You think about you and I'll think about me.

Talk to you in a few days.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 1, 2006, 07:43 AM

PSSST either are the liberals unless it gives them some political advantage.
Yes that is what the Dems do best. When your virtues aren't working, MAKE UP NEW ONES!

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 1, 2006, 07:45 AM

besson you are one of the biggest flamers in here. Your recent high horse act doesn't fool anyone. But go ahead put the world on ignore. And people wonder why liberals are so disconnected from reality.

And YOU sir are throwing personal attacks out too. Don't you realize it?

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
So the Democrats will become what Republicans once were.

(our plan is working to perfection)
Actually that happened already once, and I don't see a reason why it wouldn't happen again.

Taliesin

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 1, 2006, 08:18 AM

Clinton was one of the best Republicans the Democrats had.

Actually that isn't fair. Clinton just held a stance to whatever he thought would get him a thumbs up.

Whatever the most popular thing to do was, he did it. Regardless if it was the right or wrong thing to do.

Bush seems to be doing what he thinks is right, regardless of public opinion.

I can respect the latter a bit more. And I had a feeling Kerry was just going to be another Clinton. He already shown signs of waffling.
( Last edited by Kevin; Mar 1, 2006 at 08:24 AM. )

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Clinton was one of the best Republicans the Democrats had.
Much more interesting though is the changes in policies within the democratic and republican party since the civil-war. Conservative and progressive policies, support in cities vs. rural, north and south, state vs. federal, isolanist vs. interventionist changed considerably within the two parties, and I don't see any strong reason why it shouldn't continue to fluctuate.

The socalled neo-conservatives within the republican party is just the latest fluctuation, and I think the democrats are ripe for a fluctuation within their own party.

Taliesin

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 1, 2006, 09:53 AM

"neo-cons" is a silly word.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 10:05 AM

I agree, but it's the most popular word for it. Maybe you prefer to call neo-cons "straussians".

Taliesin

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2006, 10:12 AM

You hafta understand that when people's viewpoints (the liberals in this example) aren't widely accepted, it's human nature to attempt to demonize the 'other side' - the side whose viewpoints are more popular.

If you refer to the opposing side as 'human beings', you give some merit to their beliefs and opinions. If you give them a nickname then you can treat them as objects, instead.

It's easier to hate an object than to hate a group of people.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 10:21 AM

You hafta understand that when people's viewpoints (the liberals in this example) aren't widely accepted, it's human nature to attempt to demonize the 'other side' - the side whose viewpoints are more popular.

If you refer to the opposing side as 'human beings', you give some merit to their beliefs and opinions. If you give them a nickname then you can treat them as objects, instead.

Indeed, and when the time comes that the democratic party receives its changing fluctuation, I'm sure your "side" will have a nice catchy nickname for that fluctuation, too.

Taliesin

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2006, 10:27 AM

Tree-hugging peacenik eco-weenies

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2006, 12:19 PM

ebuddy

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2006, 12:44 PM

This tree-hugging peacenik eco-weenie likes that. Thanks!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2006, 12:44 PM

So why do Republicans do the same thing about as often to Democrats?
Chuck
___

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2006, 12:55 PM

Times like this, I think the only really sane thing to do is completely replace our election system with a lottery. Every 4 years, some poor bastard somewhere in the country gets his notice: "You're president for the next four years. The Secret Service will be coming to take you to Washington within the week. Declining is not an option." Do the same for Congress and the Senate. Make it like Jury Duty, only with nice pay and perks. Hell, even make bribery legal, as long as it's completely aboveboard, reported and taxed.

Hell, we'd end up with a better governmental representation of the actual state of the country that way. As an added bonus, we'd be rid of the Democrats, the Republicans, the career politicians, election year advertising, attack and smear campaigns, etc.

Now THAT would be a Revolution. And a long-overdue one, too.
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

Moderator  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by G Barnett
Times like this, I think the only really sane thing to do is completely replace our election system with a lottery. Every 4 years, some poor bastard somewhere in the country gets his notice: "You're president for the next four years. The Secret Service will be coming to take you to Washington within the week
The funny thing is that's almost exactly what Rove said to Bush in '99.

mrcolton
Banned
Mar 2, 2006, 03:16 AM

I read enough of your post to simply reply:

SHUT UP!

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2006, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by mrcolton

SHUT UP!

Can't wait to complete my self imposed time out!

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 2, 2006, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Taliesin
I agree, but it's the most popular word for it. Maybe you prefer to call neo-cons "straussians".
How about just politicians. It seems to cover all angles. A neo-con, righty, lefty, liberal etc are all from the same pool.

Much like the Nazis did the jews.
Originally Posted by mrcolton

SHUT UP!
Someone must have recently been banned from here.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2006, 08:30 AM

I just read a bit on wikipedia about the republican party's founding. Apparently the republican party was founded by democrats and other groups, and after that many democrats joined the republican party...

The reason was to counter a push by southern democrats to make slavery federally allowed, and since the major parts of the northern democrats were against slavery they broke with their party and founded the republican party with other minor groups, and the rest is history.

Fascinating stuff.

Taliesin

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 04:49 AM

If I would have to make a wild guess about what might happen in the political spectrum of the US in the next few years, I would say this: John McCain founds with disappointed politicians from the democrats and the republicans a new party and wins the following election and becomes the new president of the US.

Taliesin

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2006, 02:08 PM

Much more interesting though is the changes in policies within the democratic and republican party since the civil-war. Conservative and progressive policies, support in cities vs. rural, north and south, state vs. federal, isolanist vs. interventionist changed considerably within the two parties, and I don't see any strong reason why it shouldn't continue to fluctuate.

The socalled neo-conservatives within the republican party is just the latest fluctuation, and I think the democrats are ripe for a fluctuation within their own party.

Taliesin
As your "Straussian" comment reflects, you know that these neo (i.e. new) cons (conservatives) were once Democrats who came to realize that LIBERAL POLICIES DID NOT WORK.

They looked at all the wonderful things that the progressive liberalism was supposed to bring about in the 1960's and 1970's and they noticed things only got worse.

That is when and why they turned to conservatism.

All of the Fuzzy Brained Liberals (FBL's) here think this stuff is new and cutting edge and enlightened.

Well, it's NOT.

It's been tried and it has been proven not to work.

And the only reason we're having these debates is because the FBL's won't do their homework to realize they are playing a losing hand.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2006, 02:11 PM

As your "Straussian" comment reflects, you know that these neo (i.e. new) cons (conservatives) were once Democrats who came to realize that LIBERAL POLICIES DID NOT WORK.

They looked at all the wonderful things that the progressive liberalism was supposed to bring about in the 1960's and 1970's and they noticed things only got worse.

That is when and why they turned to conservatism.

All of the Fuzzy Brained Liberals (FBL's) here think this stuff is new and cutting edge and enlightened.

Well, it's NOT.

It's been tried and it has been proven not to work.

And the only reason were having these debates is because the FBL's won't do their homework to realize they are playing a losing hand.

What ever happened to giving yourself a time-out so that you could purge yourself of being a jackass? *Sigh* so much for that...

Perhaps it is just easier to add you to that ignore list....

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2006, 02:13 PM

Indeed, and when the time comes that the democratic party receives its changing fluctuation, I'm sure your "side" will have a nice catchy nickname for that fluctuation, too.

Taliesin
"Fuzzy Brained Liberals" gets my vote. I'd also go with, FBL's or Fuzzies.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2006, 02:23 PM

What ever happened to giving yourself a time-out so that you could purge yourself of being a jackass? *Sigh* so much for that...

First of all, YOU are the only one who takes the term "Fuzzies" to heart and is bothered by it.
(BTW, does the term HIPPIE bother a person with big hips???)

And I wasn't addressing you in particular with that post. So, I'd look inward to see 'was up wit dat.'

Finally, once again you are exhibiting that quaint little tendency to try to control my expression.

I thought YOU might have taken this time to examine the dynamics of our interactions with a particular focus on the things that YOU are responsible for and that YOU can control.

And just because you don't WANT to exercise self-control in these areas doesn't mean that it isn't possible, nor that it might not be a good idea. It just means that you haven't.

From the film, "Silence of the Lambs."

CLARICE
You see a lot, Dr. Lecter. But are you
strong enough to point that high-powered
perception at yourself? How about it...?
Look at yourself and write down the truth.
(She slams the tray back at him)
Or maybe you're afraid to.
EDIT: Oh, and what say you to the content of the post?
( Last edited by aberdeenwriter; Mar 3, 2006 at 02:30 PM. )

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2006, 02:27 PM

I just read a bit on wikipedia about the republican party's founding. Apparently the republican party was founded by democrats and other groups, and after that many democrats joined the republican party...

The reason was to counter a push by southern democrats to make slavery federally allowed, and since the major parts of the northern democrats were against slavery they broke with their party and founded the republican party with other minor groups, and the rest is history.

Fascinating stuff.

Taliesin
Is there any hope you'll become a Bushie?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2006, 02:56 PM

Join the club. I've found that discussions are actually easier to follow with his noise filtered out. He just throws out really bizarre insults.
Chuck
___

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2006, 03:04 PM

Join the club. I've found that discussions are actually easier to follow with the opposing opinions filtered out.
Fixinated™
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush
Fixinated™

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush
Fixinated™
I don't have you, Kevin or anyone else filtered out, so I don't know where you get that. AW doesn't offer an opposing opinion — just something that I assume is supposed to be wit but is in actuality nonsense. I'll click "View Post" on one of his posts to illustrate. Here's what the one I clicked says:

"Fuzzy Brained Liberals" gets my vote. I'd also go with, FBL's or Fuzzies.
Yeah, it's his opinion that I'm filtering, not his endless stream of pompous bullshit.
Chuck
___

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2006, 03:14 PM

I don't have you, Kevin or anyone else filtered out, so I don't know where you get that. AW doesn't offer an opposing opinion — just something that I assume is supposed to be wit but is in actuality nonsense. I'll click "View Post" on one of his posts to illustrate. Here's what the one I clicked says:

Yeah, it's his opinion that I'm filtering, not his endless stream of pompous bullshit.
Strange World

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 3, 2006, 07:15 PM

besson when you purge yourself of your own jackassery I think forum members will start taking posts of you complaining about others a bit more seriously.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2006, 07:40 PM

besson when you purge yourself of your own jackassery I think forum members will start taking posts of you complaining about others a bit more seriously.
Thanks, Kevin. I think besson3c has issues beyond my control. He seems to confuse the mirror's reflection (me) with the person standing before the mirror (besson3c).

God uses some kind of attraction to make sure we remain 'engaged' with the people we are assigned. However, the people with whom we have assignments are not always those we like. But they are always the ones with whom our greatest growth might be manifested.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2006, 08:52 PM

(BTW, does the term HIPPIE bother a person with big hips???)
No.

Hippie = unwashed, liberal idiot with no clue.
Hippy = person with wide hips.

Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
No.

Hippie = unwashed, liberal idiot with no clue.
Hippy = person with wide hips.

Well, certainly that's true. I just thought maybe because the same way some people are bothered by and sensitive to the slightest accusation of Fuzziness, even when not directed at them, that there might be another example of such sensitivity even though there is really no slight intended.

Hippie ≠ Hippy

But, apparently, only besson3c sees the word FUZZY and feels

Nicko
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2006, 04:04 AM

well that worked for me

mrcolton
Banned
Mar 4, 2006, 04:26 AM

Someone must have recently been banned from here.
recently? nope. good try though

Forum Links
Forum Rules